Must I register a homemade wood skiff?

TomTone

Jul 4, 2019
I am about to complete an 11 foot car-toppable skiff that I plan to use in the rivers to go crabbing. Must I register this boat? If I must register this boat, where do I do it? I am in Sosua.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
A visit to the Comandancia del Armada in Puerto Plata should put you on the path to success. Ask for Ayala, he has been assistant to the Comandante for years. He should be able to tell you what is needed.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
If you do have a small boat and want to launch it and go for a day cruise do you need permission?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a small trailer I built from scrap metal I had. Since it turned out OK, I decided to get plates for it.

I asked my lawyer, and she told me to forget about it because of the work involved. LOL

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
If you do have a small boat and want to launch it and go for a day cruise do you need permission?
If you are going in the ocean, you need a dispatch from Armada. I don't have inland experience here, so don't know if a dispatch is needed. If you are trailering a boat on the highway, you also need permission. Small boats move drugs and illegal immigrants, hence the extra controls.

Reactions: JD Jones

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
So i guess all the jet skis need a dispatch and plates. Thanks
i always wondered if i could just trailer the bost and launch it.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
So i guess all the jet skis need a dispatch and plates. Thanks
i always wondered if i could just trailer the bost and launch it.
All watercraft and boats need to be registered(Matricula). The numbers on the front/side of each jetski are those reg. numbers. Some vessels that work daily, have a limited area of operations and don't need daily dispatch.

TomTone

Jul 4, 2019
I built a small skiff. It's a Jeff Spira design. It will have a 3.5 hp gas motor on it. I have heard the " grease a few palms and you'll be fine" philosophy but I don't want a boat I put my blood and sweat into possibly getting swiped from me because of a lack of registration, then winding up in some cop's toy collection. I want everything "on the up and up". I worked hard on this thing and I just wanna do some crabbing in the river, not the ocean. It's a little skiff.. Perhaps I will just ask an abrogado I know about the process.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I built a small skiff. It's a Jeff Spira design. It will have a 3.5 hp gas motor on it. I have heard the " grease a few palms and you'll be fine" philosophy but I don't want a boat I put my blood and sweat into possibly getting swiped from me because of a lack of registration, then winding up in some cop's toy collection. I want everything "on the up and up". I worked hard on this thing and I just wanna do some crabbing in the river, not the ocean. It's a little skiff.. Perhaps I will just ask an abrogado I know about the process.
What did you build? A Mission Bay skiff? Or something bigger?

TomTone

Jul 4, 2019
the specs state 65 lbs but I glassed the entire bottom where the plans only call for taping the seams, so I think she'll be a bit heavier.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
the specs state 65 lbs but I glassed the entire bottom where the plans only call for taping the seams, so I think she'll be a bit heavier.
How hard is it to find resins, Mek and matt here? Regarding limited shelflife of resin is it produced here or imported?