myth or truth. US citizen living in DR

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
can you explain this please??? i dont get it

If you are a legal resident of a foreign country or spend at least 331 or so days (not sure of the exact number) of the year there, the first $91,500.00 (not sure of that number either, but it's close to that) of foreign earned income is exempt from US income tax. Another issue you should consider is that a driver's license issued in another country can only legally be used in the Dominican Republic for 90 (not sure of that number either, but it's close to that) consecutive days. I think a day trip to Haiti will restart the clock on that, but I'm not sure of that. Also, I've heard that there is an $80.00 charge for non Dominicans to go to Haiti these days.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
And if you are self-employed, the exemption is only for your income tax; you still owe self-employment tax on your foreign employment earnings.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Whatever the fine is,put half,or less,in your passport before you hand it to the agent.They will say,"What's this for?"
Tell them you want to pay the fine to them.
They will take the money,stamp your pasport,and say"Bien Viaje". I have done that many,many times without incident! Been living here over 16 years.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

I think it is funny how you are the first to criticize the government of corruption when you are supporting it, and on top of that encouriging others to break the law as well.

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
im sorry for the annoying quest. guys but im young and have not experienced as mucha as you guys yet. :)

anyway

so you guys currently living in DR still do your taxes before the due date??? if so, then is there any return at all from the US govt? or everybody brakes even?? or maybe you guys end up owing money?? damn this is really confusing.

i know that you are supposed to do your taxes anyway but my father lives in DR. hes a retired US citizen. born in DR and never does his taxes, i tell him he will have problems one day but he just says "no te apures, que ya yo los tengo a ustedes por si necesito comprar algo y me credito no sirve" ajjajaj

i got no kids, dont owe money to govt. and dont owe any money to govt. (that they would take out automatically)

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
im sorry for the annoying quest. guys but im young and have not experienced as mucha as you guys yet. :)

anyway

so you guys currently living in DR still do your taxes before the due date??? if so, then is there any return at all from the US govt? or everybody brakes even?? or maybe you guys end up owing money?? damn this is really confusing.

i know that you are supposed to do your taxes anyway but my father lives in DR. hes a retired US citizen. born in DR and never does his taxes, i tell him he will have problems one day but he just says "no te apures, que ya yo los tengo a ustedes por si necesito comprar algo y me credito no sirve" ajjajaj

i got no kids, dont owe money to govt. and dont owe any money to govt. (that they would take out automatically)
US citizens who are residents of foreign countries are subject to the same filing requirements as residents of the US. The due date is later for foreign residents, I think August 15. Whether you owe, or get a refund, depends on whether you've already paid more taxes on the year's income, through payroll deductions or other means, than your tax liability for the year. Your advice to your father is correct. Playing stupid is not known to make a very big impression on the IRS.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"mr-DR" That Is EASY!

I am giving 1,0r 2 thousand pesos to the person behind the desk,not to the DR Government.
THEY are not the ones driving a "Yipeta",and building big houses at the beach! They don't make enough to eat.
Besides,I am not a "Pendejo" for anyone,least of all the DR Government.Anytime I can "Cheat" them,I TAKE IT!

And,I am basically a "Liar And a Cheat"!:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
That ,my friend,is why I choose to live in the DR! :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
And,I am basically a "Liar And a Cheat"!:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
That ,my friend,is why I choose to live in the DR! :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I forwarded this to Casey Anthony, she needs a new home and will fit right in.