Naca'n Restaurant; the best meat of the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Naca'n is a relatively new restaurant in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone. It's in a building that was recently returned to its original look. The restaurant specializes on steaks and meat-centered plates. It imports prime meat from Allen Brothers in the United States. Outside of the US, only Mexico and now the DR imports this most selective of quality American meat, making Naca'n the restaurant in the entire Caribbean that offers the best meat.

With much influence in creating the menu was Chef Matthew Niessner, originally from South Carolina, United States.

Any reviews by DR1ers?

This young man is a Santo Domingo native and the Executive Chef. Interview in Spanish.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ul433x.png

Reactions: thompstr

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Bottom line…We will see what we will see. I don’t see how this will “make it”in DR. Most dominicans (who have probably Never tasted real properly aged meat) will resent paying and continue buying that awful meat sold here passing for beef. And which sellers continue to peddle to the unsuspecting..which most people here have to just put up with. Hope this wonderful restaurant will do well But…..I just don’t, right now see dominicans going all out for this upscale restaurant.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bottom line…We will see what we will see. I don’t see how this will “make it”in DR. Most dominicans (who have probably Never tasted real properly aged meat) will resent paying and continue buying that awful meat sold here passing for beef. And which sellers continue to peddle to the unsuspecting..which most people here have to just put up with. Hope this wonderful restaurant will do well But…..I just don’t, right now see dominicans going all out for this upscale restaurant.
Many Dominicans love all things American and a great deal of Dominicans with money will gladly fork it out to eat good meat as they have experienced it in their visits or time living in the USA. If the product is consistently good Dominicans with money ( and there are a lot of them), will flock to this restaurant.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many Dominicans love all things American and a great deal of Dominicans with money will gladly fork it out to eat good meat as they have experienced it in their visits or time living in the USA. If the product is consistently good Dominicans with money ( and there are a lot of them), will flock to this restaurant.
Agreed. There are many who will overpay for things because it is trendy as well, but perhaps this meat is great and really worth the price. I may never know. I hate Santo Domingo:

Here is the menu with beef items from $35 Petite Filet, 8 oz to $90 US Tomahawk, 34 oz

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Hi Bob…. I would hope so but….I always feel that DR and their kitchens are not usually consistent. This restaurant, I believe will appeal to the tourist trade so it needs to be further tested. I do hope this does well but having been here many years I am realistic. I was disappointed this restaurant also chooses to serve Brunch and Lunch. Sounds like coffee shop/diner mentality so exclusivity of upscale restaurant serving extremely expensive meat is a bit offputting. I have never felt comfortable going to a restaurant in which chef serve prime ribeye and also french toast. Anyway of course this is my choice. Hope Nacan is wonderful and very sucessful! I am just not interested in the pretentiousness that comes with all the rich dominicans who just have to be seen there.
I will continue to buy my ribeye angus from the butcher and sear it myself

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You might be surprised.

I said the same thing about IKEA and it's been there now for years. I was wrong for sure.

Reactions: MariaRubia

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they do have top meat and know how to cook it the place should be a home run. Anyone remember David Crockett steak house in SD. They are not there anymore, but was packed for many years with top meat and high prices. Was hard to even get in and the place was large.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Will definitely try it, menu looks good. I know many local and non-local Dominicans that will spend good money for a good meal. I like the idea of brunch. People go to brunch and enjoy the meal they figure going for dinner will be well worth it.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The Cowboy Filet at David Crockett was wonderful. One of the best steakhouses I have ever been to. I'm sorry to hear that's it not there anymore.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Boy, who sinks that kind of money into a building to make a steak house?

This will do great for a few months, then will drop off considerably. Santo Domingo is chock full of steak houses and many of them are excellent.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Boy, who sinks that kind of money into a building to make a steak house?

This will do great for a few months, then will drop off considerably. Santo Domingo is chock full of steak houses and many of them are excellent.

I think it's owned by one of the rich families, probably a bit of a laundry going on as well as a restaurant

Reactions: JD Jones

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If they do have top meat and know how to cook it the place should be a home run. Anyone remember David Crockett steak house in SD. They are not there anymore, but was packed for many years with top meat and high prices. Was hard to even get in and the place was large.
We went there every time in S.D.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I went in December. The food was very good but somewhat pricey. Quality and taste are 10x better than almost any other restaurant I've been to in the city. I've heard great reviews from acquaintances as well.