Nasty Stuff Everywhere

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Islands of nastiness floating in on the North Coast. This is off Cabrera. Have been seeing this for days. Where is it all ending up?
4da673bc5ca406532a8a556c674fbbb7.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its probably batches of the sargazo seaweed invasion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yup, the seaweed

I guess you missed the earthquake the other morning ...2.6 miles south of Cabrera

See Buster Gringo's earthquake thread

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
A few bars that have the right formula are still doing OK on Cabarete beach, but it is the same story of Punta Cana getting all the promotion and cheap flight deals, the high airfares and horrible connections to POP , lack of hotel rooms on the north coast, etc that have the north coast far behind in tourism from a fairly short itime ago. It was a good idea to cash out on the beach in Cabarete and now the place has boomeranged back so it can be done again, but not sure why opening yet another bar in Sosua is happening.

Only Big Franks can say why he still wants to be in business on the north coast, but perhaps not in Cabarete.

I was reading yesterday about the problems with the Sargassum (Sargossa?) seaweed on Punta Cana beaches, where sometimes you cannot go in the ocean there is so much of it. No seaweed on the north coast - but nobody mentions that.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was reading yesterday about the problems with the Sargassum (Sargossa?) seaweed on Punta Cana beaches, where sometimes you cannot go in the ocean there is so much of it. No seaweed on the north coast - but nobody mentions that.

Not "no" seaweed - but less as I understand it....on the north coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This sounds lovely:

10. Re: How bad is the seaweed, sargassum, algae in Punta Cana?
Jun 29, 2018, 11:06 AM
We are currently at the Secret Cap Cana - and although the resort itself, the service, accommodation and the food is lovely - the beach is totally unusable - full of seagrass which has really awful off putting smell. The seagrass is also in the ocean and it’s not possible to jump over it as some people suggested as the muddy water goes for miles! Such a shame as Cap Cana has a truly amazing beach. If you’re a beach lover and you can change your plans - I advise you to go somewhere else!

There is nothing like that on the north coast being reported.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
It's bad throughout the entire Caribbean from the Bahamas all the way down to Grenada. Gigantic mats of it, miles wide drifting around and coming ashore on the first spot they hit.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It's bad throughout the entire Caribbean from the Bahamas all the way down to Grenada. Gigantic mats of it, miles wide drifting around and coming ashore on the first spot they hit.

I most definitely agree with you..........

https://www.caribbean-council.org/seaweed-tourism/

https://news.miami.edu/stories/2018/06/seaweed-invasion.html

A species of seaweed has been washing up on beaches across the Caribbean and South Florida.

It’s been piling up on the shores of South Florida beaches by the truckload—massive rafts of Sargassum, a brownish seaweed that lives in the open ocean.

In some spots, the Sargassum can reach as high as 2 feet, attracting insects, crabs and sea lice, trapping sea turtles, and forcing bathers to take a circuitous route around it to get to the water.

The thick, slimy stuff is coming from the Caribbean, drifting first into the Gulf of Mexico and then riding the Loop Current through the Straits of Florida to the state’s east coast.

But what’s causing the massive invasion? Is it a health risk? And how much longer can we expect to see the seaweed on our shores?

11weaef.jpg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It washes up every so often on my beach but rarely. I’m going to say once a year or less. It isn’t as much as the pics on here either.
Every time I see it I’m like wtf happened to my beach then it goes away a few days later.

Of course it does. It's organic. Drys up and blows away. (eventually)