Need a Good Guru to Repair a MAC OSX

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
It starts up but just shows a folder with a ? mark and it flashes. Does anyone know or can recommend someone that is very good and will also have a recovery disc if required please.

I remembers seeing someone advertise they do MAC repairs a while back, but the ad is no more.

Thanks

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Likely your poor computer has simply gotten confused as to where the system files are located. This happens (infrequently) when OSX crashes badly somehow.

Select your Mac OS X startup disk by restarting and holding the Option key. After your Mac starts up, restart again to verify that the flashing question mark does not appear.

If it happens again (question mark in the folder) you will definitely need an installation disk. If you do not have one, please let us all know exact which version of a Mac you have (to see if anyone has a compatible installation disk).

I hope this helps!

Nov 25, 2008
had some experience with iFIX store in Santiago, Tera Mall, in front of Codetel, excellent service, on time, knows what their doing.....I think he's part American...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
oh wow, and I thought mac never crashes or has any problems windows has.
AZB

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have exactly the same problem with my Mac mini. From what I've learned, it looks like the hard drive has died. The problem I have is that I thought I could restore it with my Snow Leopard DVD. My Mac mini is a PPC, and I've just found out that PPC doesn't support Snow Leopard and now I can't eject the disc. Holding down the left mouse button whilst re-booting doesn't work.

May 5, 2007
It starts up but just shows a folder with a ? mark and it flashes. Does anyone know or can recommend someone that is very good and will also have a recovery disc if required please.

I remembers seeing someone advertise they do MAC repairs a while back, but the ad is no more.

Thanks

Why not fly in an Apple engineer on the G IV?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Likely your poor computer has simply gotten confused as to where the system files are located. This happens (infrequently) when OSX crashes badly somehow.

Select your Mac OS X startup disk by restarting and holding the Option key. After your Mac starts up, restart again to verify that the flashing question mark does not appear.

If it happens again (question mark in the folder) you will definitely need an installation disk. If you do not have one, please let us all know exact which version of a Mac you have (to see if anyone has a compatible installation disk).

I hope this helps!

Great advice and thanks, I will be back in the DR on Sunday and will try that, couldnt get it done here in the US as there wasnt enough time, we are only here for a few days buying stock for my son's games consoles business (especially the new games in demand). We have to get back to the DR asap. On the Apple stores we found that do repairs, you have to book in advance an appointment to see one of their tech "Gurus".

I will let you know if your advice works

Many thanks Castellamonte

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have exactly the same problem with my Mac mini. From what I've learned, it looks like the hard drive has died. The problem I have is that I thought I could restore it with my Snow Leopard DVD. My Mac mini is a PPC, and I've just found out that PPC doesn't support Snow Leopard and now I can't eject the disc. Holding down the left mouse button whilst re-booting doesn't work.

Try this sequence...

Turn off computer, wait 5 seconds, turn it back on
When you hear the startup sound, immediately press Command + Option + O + F (you need to put down the beer to do this)
Don't release the keys until you see a white screen (or a long time passes and you get thirsty)
You should see a prompt on the screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware"
Type in: eject cd (press enter)
Wait a tad and hopefully it will pop out. An "ok" should be shown on the screen as well.
Type in: mac-boot (press enter)

The computer will boot normally which, in your case, may be to crash because of the other problem. But at least you'll have your Snow Leopard DVD!

Hope this helps!

(back to drinking)

mkberg

Aug 29, 2011
I gotta say I have had a really good experience with iFix in Santiago. I ordered something and it was put on the Caribe bus to POP the next morning. It was great. Didn't have to drive, park, walk, deal with the Apple store people and the crowded stores.
There is also this resource: apple com/lae/buy/locator/index.php?ctry=DO

Jan 17, 2009
I gotta say I have had a really good experience with iFix in Santiago. I ordered something and it was put on the Caribe bus to POP the next morning. It was great. Didn't have to drive, park, walk, deal with the Apple store people and the crowded stores.
There is also this resource: apple com/lae/buy/locator/index.php?ctry=DO

Same experience here. Excellent service and it could not have been cheaper. Just RD$600 to troubleshoot and give me an estimate. I brought it to Santiago but they sent it back by Metro.

Another "expert" in the Cabarete area had charged me RD$1,000 and was never able to give me an estimate because he was sure it was a hardware problem. It wasn't although it seemed it was. It was the operating system which I was told needed to be cleaned up. Don't waste your time and money with the so called experts, and go to Santiago to IFix -- they are Apple official rep in the city. FYI cost of their shipping my MBP to Sosua by Metro just RD$180.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Sorry for the delay in replying. But the MAC is repaired. Quite by accident I found a great Dominican who speaks good English, in Sosua Abajo, who not only repairs MACs but computers too. He has his own MACs. He not only repaired the MAC, but is repairing one of my laptops that Ceducom had said couldnt be repaired. His prices are good too.

My son says his MAC is running even better than before it died.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
What is the name and phone # for the guy in Sousa Abajo? I will probably need him in the future. Thanks