need a new fridge - where to buy best?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To those who have a "Fear" of a propane "Anything",don't!!!

What do you cook with,"wood",charcoal,electricity(You can't afford to cook with electricity!!!)???...Maybe you use "Propane"???

A"Gas Leak" from a municipal line in the US,can give you a potencial problem,but houses here are "Open" all year around.
Don't be foolish! There are many things here that will kill you,a propane explosion is not one of them.Ever been in a car on the street here? Worry about that!!

Electricity kills people here all the time,when did you hear of a propane explosion???

CC

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
An entire family in Esperanza was killed not too long ago by an explosion caused by a leak in their propane tank.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thats why we keep the tanks outside. So if something explodes, let it happen outside.
I have never heard of a propane gas tank explosion in DR. I have heard someone knew someone or they heard it was a gas tank explosion but I have not met anyone who has actually seen it with their own eyes of a tank explosion.
You maybe able to explode a tank if you over pressurize it or if the tank is rusted and always standing in wet floor to cause corrosion etc. Then there are cases where the guys were making some modifications to the tank to use it for other various devices ex: connecting it with a generator or trying to make a home made stove etc. They screw up and I can see how thay can cause an accident. Other than that, I have never heard of a gas tank explosion in DR (over 6 years that I have been living here).

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Re: To those who have a "Fear" of a propane "Anything",don't!!!

Criss Colon said:
What do you cook with,"wood",charcoal,electricity(You can't afford to cook with electricity!!!)???...Maybe you use "Propane"???
A"Gas Leak" from a municipal line in the US,can give you a potencial problem,but houses here are "Open" all year around.
Don't be foolish! There are many things here that will kill you,a propane explosion is not one of them.Ever been in a car on the street here? Worry about that!!

CC

CC, yes, you might be right, maybe a faer of propane is a bit silly, but this doesn't stop me from having an uncomfortable feeling beeing in the house fridge running on propane. Beeing at home, I want to rest and to feel comfortable, and not stick my nose in the air before I light a cigarette. My propane tanks are outside, but couldn't be there a whole in the hose going in?
Yes, of course my stove runs on propane, too, but I turn the flame of the stove on when I use it and off when I don't. (yes, I know, the hose to the stove is inside here as well and could have a leak one day). However, when the fridge is running on propane I can SEE the flame all the time, which doesn't help to learn to get over the uncomfortable feeling.
We had an "propane incident" a few years ago: we cooked meet in the oven, checking on the meet, we saw that the flame had gone out. What we didn't notice was, that the flame must have been off allready a long time before we checked. My husband sticking is hand with a lighter into the stove to turn it on again, was thrown 15 feet backwards by a huge flame coming out of the oven. Luckily he suffered only minor burns on his hands and face, but yes, I do have a very uncomfortable feeling beeing around propane.

And anyway, the propane fear was not a reason, that I got rid of my propane fridge, maybe I would have learnt one day to live with it. My propane fridge broke.
I decided not to get a propane fridge again, because:
- way too expensive to buy new
- cannot be repaired when problems with the gas system
- heats up the house when running on propane
- last point: my (silly) propane fear

Originally posted by Lyse
Guagualita, How many cubic feet ??

Lyse: I bought a DAEWOO FR-2701, which has 9.5 cu.ft.
The total volume is a little bit less, than we planned to buy, but it's a good mid size fridge, about 5 feet high, and big enough for a 3 person household. The top freezer volume is even bigger than my old frigde.

quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
quaqualita, do you have a pilot light in the oven that is lit all the time?

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Propane fridge I had one or 4 years in Spain and it works very well I didn't find any heat from the very small pilot light on the back and as for safety it shuts off the gas if the pilot should go out and I personally would happily have gas again if the fridge price was not so high, once or twice a year I had to clen the chimney above the pilot light this could be done with wire then it would continue to run without problems for another nine months on average ;)