Need advice planning a trip, tia

gas

Jul 28, 2013
My apologies for asking a similar question to the one yesterday... I omitted something and also didn't want to limit my post to one area.

I've been to the DR a bunch of times but not to too many places... mostly Santo Domingo followed by Puerto Plata, Juan Dolio and Cabarete. This is basically a 2 part question. I'm looking for a suggestion of (1) where to go and (2) whether to rent a car. I will be traveling with a friend. My Spanish is very basic and hers is good. My budget is $100 max for hotels including tax. I will fly into SDQ to meet my friend.

1. I will be in the DR for 8 days in November. I dislike the sweltering heat and touristy places. I'm considering Jarabacoa and someplace else. I am not the type to lay around the beach all day, though a little bit is fine and I like swimming. Rafting on the river sounds fun and stuff like that, though I am 62 and not in the best of shape. While I like adventure, my body has its limits. -) My question is if Jarabacoa is a good choice and where else to go or if another area other than central DR is recommended taking into consideration I need to return to SD. And recommendations for hotels. I do not like AI's though I won't rule them out altogether.

2. Renting a car. I am totally paranoid of renting a car in the DR. I've heard horror stories and I also have a horrible sense of direction. Do GPS's work yet throughout the country? If the trip will be made too onerous by using public transportation, I will rent a car. But do I need to? If not, how do I find out what bus to take to wherever I am going from SD? Or can someone recommend a driver? If I do rent a car, I'm covered by credit card for collision and theft. What other insurance do I need?

Thanks for any help!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............2. Renting a car. I am totally paranoid of renting a car in the DR........

Don't do it, don't do it. Ooops, I forgot did I mention do NOT rent a car? You can go darn near anywhere in this country using public transportation and very easy especially when traveling with a local who speaks the lingo fluently.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
jarabacoa is beautifull and a lot colder than most places on the island...I would suggest to you to try rancho baiguate ...you can do some horse back riding...go for a nice walk in the countryside...spend a day at the waterfalls...and do some river rafting
never had a problem driving a car in the d.r.....take your time...keep your eyes open and look at the road...not the scenery when driving

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Caribe tours has a bus that can take you from SD to Jarabacoa and back (make a transfer in La Vega to Jarabacoa). Very inexpensive air conditioned and comfortable. I would not recommend renting a car, as driving in the DR can be extremely dangerous. You can look up Caribe tours bus schedule online.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
jarabacoa is beautifull and a lot colder than most places on the island...I would suggest to you to try rancho baiguate ...you can do some horse back riding...go for a nice walk in the countryside...spend a day at the waterfalls...and do some river rafting
never had a problem driving a car in the d.r.....take your time...keep your eyes open and look at the road...not the scenery when driving

I'm 100% in agreement when it comes to Jarabacoa as you posted for the OP. However, driving in the DR for so few days is not something I would recommend my worst enemy. Driving in the DR requires a break-in timetable. A visitor for such a short visit will be best served by using the ample available public transport or a hired taxi with driver included.

If a person is visiting for a long stay, then I would say yes, try the rental best and see if they can handle it.

Can it be done and still be safe? Yes! But that's taking a chance that's not worth the try on such short visit to the country.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
From Jarabacoa you will be close to Santiago. You can stay overnight at Hotel Matum (near monumento) or Century Plaza (central) or Hotel Sol (calle del sol), all within your budget (70 to 80 per night or less).
Visit Centro Leon, a very nice museum and Monumento, the monument frequently shown to represent the city of Santiago and finish with a cocktail and view from Camp David. No need to worry about tourists as you will be the only one ;)

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Take a look at Samana (Las Terrenas, Las Galleras, Ciudad de Samana). But don't blame me if you fall in love with it.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
If you are that nervous about renting a car I would NOT do it.
I have rented 3 times with no problems at all prior to my move here but I love driving in crazy areas.

Driving in DR is the same in most other countries... People who have been to India would love to drive in the DR with their eyes closed..
But if you feel afraid to drive don't do it.

Your CC may cover the insurance but you may have to make a deposit. Also when you have an accident you will pay everything and later you can have a fight with the CC company to get your money back.
Also get the Casa de Conductor. In that case you wont go to jail if a motoconcho hits your car and blames you for everything.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
From Jarabacoa you will be close to Santiago. You can stay overnight at Hotel Matum (near monumento) or Century Plaza (central) or Hotel Sol (calle del sol), all within your budget (70 to 80 per night or less).
Visit Centro Leon, a very nice museum and Monumento, the monument frequently shown to represent the city of Santiago and finish with a cocktail and view from Camp David. No need to worry about tourists as you will be the only one ;)

If he travels with public transport it will be difficult to get from the monument to Camp David.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
It's ironic. I used to drive a yellow cab in Manhattan many years ago when I was going to school. I was a maniac. You had to be in order to make any money. Now I'm older and a pussy, haha.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Manhattan of 40 years ago was the wild west with mother rapers, father rapers and all sorts of deviants running the city. Those were the days. But not for cabbies. Shootings of cab drivers were at an all time high. Today, Manhattan is like Disneyland. A lot safer but without soul. But I digress.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My apologies for asking a similar question to the one yesterday... I omitted something and also didn't want to limit my post to one area.

I've been to the DR a bunch of times but not to too many places... mostly Santo Domingo followed by Puerto Plata, Juan Dolio and Cabarete. This is basically a 2 part question. I'm looking for a suggestion of (1) where to go and (2) whether to rent a car. I will be traveling with a friend. My Spanish is very basic and hers is good. My budget is $100 max for hotels including tax. I will fly into SDQ to meet my friend.

1. I will be in the DR for 8 days in November. I dislike the sweltering heat and touristy places. I'm considering Jarabacoa and someplace else. I am not the type to lay around the beach all day, though a little bit is fine and I like swimming. Rafting on the river sounds fun and stuff like that, though I am 62 and not in the best of shape. While I like adventure, my body has its limits. -) My question is if Jarabacoa is a good choice and where else to go or if another area other than central DR is recommended taking into consideration I need to return to SD. And recommendations for hotels. I do not like AI's though I won't rule them out altogether.

2. Renting a car. I am totally paranoid of renting a car in the DR. I've heard horror stories and I also have a horrible sense of direction. Do GPS's work yet throughout the country? If the trip will be made too onerous by using public transportation, I will rent a car. But do I need to? If not, how do I find out what bus to take to wherever I am going from SD? Or can someone recommend a driver? If I do rent a car, I'm covered by credit card for collision and theft. What other insurance do I need?

Thanks for any help!

I would consider going to the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. You can check out the on line tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. From Las Americas airport there is a small bus depot about 15 minutes away(near the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway, you can pick up Transport Las Terrenas bus right there. There number is 809-687-1470. There are very nice beaches and many tours that are offered. You can horseback to Limon Falls, take ATVs on a tour or go to the Taino Museum. I would suggest Hotel Colibri or Hotel Paseo. Their prices should be reseasonable this time of year. Buenos Suarte.

Jul 28, 2014

Thanks for any help!

Seeing as you like to swim, try going to 27 Charcos, neat place with being able to cool down to break away from the heat.
http://www.27charcos.com/index.php

Also, follow the guidance of the many people who have stated not to drive, between the way the locals drive, and the fact if you happen to get into an accident, regardless, because you are a gringo, you are guilty, and everybody will be there with their hand out for you to pay your way out of a crappy situation

Siberian Bear

Jul 4, 2014
risk is everywhere ... you can drown in a mug of coffee ...

machine will allow to move independently ...
see a lot of new and interesting ...
if you drove a car in the big cities - DR will not be a problem for you.

in any case, do not use motokonche.

Basil alise

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for any help!

If you are interested to explore the Jarabacoa then I must say it will be the perfect place to enjoy the scenic views of this region. It seems to me you want to avoid crowded places and prefer to live near the nature. In this case Jarabacoa is a best option for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
since we haven't about a death ( last Oct/Nov ), we can assume the trip was a success.
with or without the car...........

8 days in November was my clue.........