Need computer help? I'm happy to help out a fellow DR1 member...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
What a lot of bollocks the above. I am running Centos 5.4, a flavour of Red Hat Linux, and the number of entries in my router log and my Centos firewall log of Chineese, Russian and even American break-in attempts on my network to steal free access to my mail server/ftp server (using it for mail spam and hide behind to perform other attacks on other netwokrs/users) or just snoop around on my system looking for personal data is in-countable.
True that there is not so much virus writen for Linux but the real danger is not the virus but the damage the virus makes. I.e steal personal information, bank account information and data. That can happen on any Operation System wheather Windows, Mac, Linux, AIX or Solaris.

Not having to get new programs when a new release of the OS is on the market is another lie. Ever time a new version of Trixbox (a telefony software I use on my Centos OS) is released I can't convert my data into the new format of the new software release hence I have to either stick to the old version or manually copy the data over in the new version which is quite time consuming as I usually spend 2-3 days doing so. How many normal users can spend such an amount of time and how many users would have the skills to do that?

I am not saying Linux i bad just that the back office/maintainence funcionality is not as well programmed as it is on Windows products.

Eldanes, with all due respect, how many "normal users" are running an enterprise class Linux based telephony box, or for that fact a mail or FTP server? ;)

I believe Wind was just referring to a plain old (but very popular and well supported) linux distro for simple day to day tasks. In that regard Ubuntu does fit the bill quite nicely.

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
Eldanes, with all due respect, how many "normal users" are running an enterprise class Linux based telephony box, or for that fact a mail or FTP server? ;)

I believe Wind was just referring to a plain old (but very popular and well supported) linux distro for simple day to day tasks. In that regard Ubuntu does fit the bill quite nicely.

I appreciate where you are coming from however, that does not change the fact that Windeguy argued that Linux is less prone to be attacked by hackers than Windows which in my humble opinion does not hold water.
Things must be looked at in perspective. If there are 1000 Linux boxes and 10 of them becomes infected contra 1000 Windows boxes being infected is sounds as if Microsoft has a HUGE problem BUT if it is taken into context that those 1000 infected Windows boxes are out of 1 million versions installed then the Windows box is now statistically less infected.

What I am trying to say is Windows might be labeled as a security risk but that is just because there are so many installs that it makes it more worthwhile for an IT criminal to "attack a marked" which is more saturated and where he/she can use the same mass developed hack/crack tools than a marked where there is a lower "hit rate" (speaking about Linux) and few tools available. On top of that hacking/cracking Linux require a special set of skills and many IT criminals could not be bothered spending time obtaining the required knowledge.

So if an IT criminal could not be bothered learning those required skills on Linux would an ordinary user bother just because it's free? Let's face it; Linux, even with a graphical user interface mode, does require a bit of time to get accustomed to.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Wow, dissertation not needed. This is a thread to offer computer help....let's keep it simple. That is something that us IT people have trouble doing ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, dissertation not needed. This is a thread to offer computer help....let's keep it simple. That is something that us IT people have trouble doing ;)

Thanks for offering. I have a question for you.

I think I am in need of a fresh start on my computer. Its working, but seems to have been picking up bad habits and photo editing and other programs don't work as smoothly as they once did. For example, if I want to delete just one photo from the viewer or one icon on the desktop, the cursor spins and spins and spins. ( I must delete 2 or more at same time.) This spinning often happens also if I right click on something. Those are just a couple of small examples, but to keep it short there are enough things going on that didn't before that I can tell I should do something to refresh the computer.

I have Windows 7 and am backing up the computer to a another drive using the backup program that comes with Windows 7. I am also backing up to another drive using the program on the Maxell Genpro. Is it possible to clean house and restore my programs on drive "C" from one of these backups without also restoring whatever those things are in the registry that are causing the problems?

Again, thanks for offering your help.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
No problem Ken, happy to help!

Just to answer your backup question, there are a couple of options for backup on Windows 7...1) File backup 2) System Image. The main option that is shown is for the file backup, but it is just labeled as "Backup". Assuming that is the option you chose, it only backs up data, not programs. The second option is the System Image and is available from the Backup page on the sidebar and is labeled "create system image". This guy will recover your system to the exact point in time in which you made that image.

Now, let me go on to say that it is probably not necessary to go the above route. All versions of Windows need a "cleaning" every now and again to keep it running tip top. I will compile tips for this process and post it shortly.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
PC TIP: WINDOWS MAINTENANCE: Part 1 - 'Startup'

PC TIP: WINDOWS MAINTENANCE: Part 1 - 'Startup'

NOTE: PLEASE read through everything BEFORE attempting any changes. I will not and can not be held liable for mistakes you make during this process. I present this information as a suggestion only. If you do not feel you are competent to make these changes, seek the help of a computer professional.

Microsoft tries to make the computing experience easy for you, the end user. Unfortunately this leaves many 'loopholes' available that either need plugging or routine maintenance. I will address this in a series of different posts. The startup is one of those that needs routine maintenance and truly affects your pc's performance.

Quite simply, this is an option set aside by Microsoft which allows programs to run when you first boot up your pc. Some things you want running as soon as you start Windows, (ex. anti-virus, printer software, communication software, etc) but MOST things you absolutely do not need. I will walk you through pruning your startup of unnecessary items. Mind you this does not uninstall the programs, it just doesn't start automatically when Windows starts. Let's proceed...

NOTE: this process will work for Windows 7, Vista, XP, & 98

1) click on the Windows logo (or the "Start" button)
2a) Win 7 & Vista: click in the "Search Programs and Files" box
2b) Win XP & 98: click on the "Run" button
3) Type: MSCONFIG then press the enter button on your keyboard. A "System Configuration" window should now appear.
4) click on the "Startup" tab

NOTE: any item with a check mark is set to run as soon as Windows starts. This is part of the reason your pc runs like molasses in February when your pc initially boots up.

You have a few options here. I suggest unchecking everything except your antivirus. More on this later.

5) click on "Apply", the "Ok"
NOTE: You will get a window that pops up and states the system needs to reboot to make these changes
6) click "Restart" to reboot your pc. Obviously, please save and close anything you have open before doing so.
7) Win XP: click on the empty box (will place a checkmark) next to the wording "Don't show this message" to never get that message again

How to fine tune your startup:

Are you noticing something that was working before isn't working correctly now? Maybe you need to leave that program in the startup (an example of that might be a vpn software or printer software). Simple fix, just re-run the above steps, and place a check mark by that software and reboot. All done!

I have attached an image of what this box looks like:
2n6fzf4.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No problem Ken, happy to help!

Just to answer your backup question, there are a couple of options for backup on Windows 7...1) File backup 2) System Image. The main option that is shown is for the file backup, but it is just labeled as "Backup". Assuming that is the option you chose, it only backs up data, not programs. The second option is the System Image and is available from the Backup page on the sidebar and is labeled "create system image". This guy will recover your system to the exact point in time in which you made that image.

Now, let me go on to say that it is probably not necessary to go the above route. All versions of Windows need a "cleaning" every now and again to keep it running tip top. I will compile tips for this process and post it shortly.

Thanks for reply PeteyPablo, but I wasn't asking about backup options, what my backup consists of is "files in selected folders and system image." What I was asking is if I install what is backed up whether I have solved any problems or just reinstalled the problems. In other words, will the computer run any better after the backup is installed than before?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Ken the answer you are looking for was already in my post...I did not know which backup you made so I presented the two options. In any case, read below in bold:

The system image is an exact snapshot of your system at a specific point in time. Was your pc running fine at the point you made that system image? If so, then yes reverting to that image will resolve your situation.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken the answer you are looking for was already in my post...I did not know which backup you made so I presented the two options. In any case, read below in bold:

The system image is an exact snapshot of your system at a specific point in time. Was your pc running fine at the point you made that system image? If so, then yes reverting to that image will resolve your situation.

I saw that and assumed that is what it meant. But I have a question about the image. Every Thursday Windows updates my backup. Does this mean they update both the image and the files, or just the files?

Thanks.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Only the files are backed up on a schedule. You have to look at your backup and check the date of your system image.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
New Question

When I download something I put the icon in a download file after installing the program. If I copy that file to a CD or flash drive, can I later click on those icons to open those programs on another computer?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
When I download something I put the icon in a download file after installing the program.

Is the icon a shortcut to the file itself or a shortcut to the installed program? Generally if you have an icon, it is usually a shortcut to the program which is installed on your computer.

If I copy that file to a CD or flash drive, can I later click on those icons to open those programs on another computer?

If you are at another pc and you have the file on a flash drive, just browse into the flash drive and run it. Shortcuts don't work when moved from the original pc.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
PC TIP: WINDOWS MAINTENANCE: Part 2 - 'Clean Up'

PC TIP: WINDOWS MAINTENANCE: Part 2 - 'Clean Up'

NOTE: PLEASE read through everything BEFORE attempting any changes. I will not and can not be held liable for mistakes you make during this process. I present this information as a suggestion only. If you do not feel you are competent to make these changes, seek the help of a computer professional.

I want to start by saying that there are many different ways to go about cleaning up all the junk Windows keeps around. I present to you the way that I have found, through trial and error, to be the most safe and practical method.

To clean up all the Windows 'junk' folders, I like to use 3rd party software that gives me control over the exact cleaning process. In this case I employ CCleaner which fits the bill, and is a free software.

1) Download and install CCleaner (the FREE version)
2) Run the program so you get the main menu
Note: you are presented with many options, but don't worry. I have enclosed a pic with the usual settings I choose for my clients.
3) Select the options as based on pic attached to this post
4) Select "Run Cleaner"
5) When asked "Are you sure...", place a check mark and select OK
6) When it's done, you will see it say "Cleaning Complete" at the top, you may now close the app.

The next time you use this program, it will already have those options saved for you, all you have to do is click "Run Cleaner". I suggest running this app monthly for a casual web browsing activity, weekly if you are a heavy web user.

NOTE: This app has many options. If you feel bold enough, browse through the options and try them out. I will cover the registry cleaning component on the next installment.

2dr9v5t.jpg

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hi Hillbilly,

Why do you want to set up a repeater which is a little more comolicated process, consumes more power, require a power outlet where you place it etc.?

See, the 802.11 family consists of a series of over-the-air modulation techniques that use the same basic protocol. The most popular are those defined by the 802.11b and 802.11g protocols, which originates from the very first iplementations of the wireless technology. Later, believe it was released in 2009 802.11n becane the new multi-streaming modulation technique.

First of all 802.11n supports higher speeds (15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 135, 150 mbit/s) i.e it transfer higher speeds between devices connected on the router. A 802.11g router has a typical max. transfer speed of 54 mbit/s and often less depending of signal strength.

The theoritical signal distance on routers are :
802.11g
Indoor Outdoor
38m/125ft 140m/460ft

802.11n
Indoor Outdoor
70m/2305ft 250m/820ft

A quite fine speciment for your requirements, if we a discussing signal range, would be Linksys E2500/E3000 Advanced Dual-Band N Router which are both midranged priced routers (one in the top of the range the other inthe bottom of the range).
So instead of purchasing another router to repeat your signal 10- 25 odd dollars more would buy you a E2500/E3000 router.

Quick features would be:
A Wireless-N router with simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz bands designed to increase bandwidth. Keep Wi-Fi freeloaders and Internet threats at bay with WPA/WPA2 security settings. Use the Gigabit Ethernet ports for quicker file sharing between other Gigabit-enabled devices like media servers, hard drives and computers.

Sounds great, except is not real world. I live in an apt with two floors. I had an Airport Extreme which is wireless-n. Airport was upstairs and the upstairs coverage is great. Downstairs I would get OK reception on the couch in the living room. Dining room table would drop like crazy and kitchen. . .forget it. Down stairs off ice? No way.

I had 2 airport express units set up to extend the range but they were virtually useless, sorry robert;-) Even though getting signal on the couch with my laptop was OK, the Airport Express next to the couch would drop off the network intermittently. I guess the laptop could have a better range than my "range extender".

I paid the maintenance guys a few bucks to pull some CAT 6 cable and bought another Airport Extreme. Put the second Extreme in the kitchen and now have good coverage all over the Apt. I even ran a CAT 6 to my Apple TV and another to my office so that I would be hard wired to the upstairs Extreme.

Now watching netflix on my Apple TV actually works. I can't figure out how watching movies on a laptop 2 meters from the TV stalls and stutters but streaming over the net works pretty well. Then again my laptop is a mac. . . .sorry again Robert;-)

Setting up the range extenders was a breeze, for the most part. The airport utility is cool. .. . but. . . . .when I followed the simple setup it whacked my internet connection. Down stairs Extreme hooked up to upstairs Extreme hard wired. Plug the downstairs one into upstairs one and I had no internet in entire apt. Made zero sense as that should have no effect on computers hooked to the internet. The downstairs router actually effected my Codetel router and would knock out the internet!

Had to reset the Extreme and start from zero. Second time it worked fine, although I followed the same steps. I am thinking/hoping that was an isolated case and HB will have his install go smoothly.

I have set up a decent amount of routers in my life, and the easiest to set up was the Apple Stuff, but it was also the only time it didn't work . . . .sorry Robert;-)

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Rafael, kudos to you. It is not often that I run into someone from the 'Apple Camp' that is honest enough to say they had problems with their Apple products.

Problems can and will happen, no matter what system you decide use.

dbogdan83

Jun 20, 2011
I posted this elsewhere, but I am going to keep all my tips on this thread.

TIP: WIRELESS ROUTERS

I have a great tip for the members here regarding wifi routers. You can turn your cheepie $60 router into an enterprise class $600 router using a simple firmware update. The project is called DD-WRT and what they do is replace the often buggy factory software (firmware) with one that is much more stable and has a staggering amount of options.

I have actually grabbed left for dead routers and brought them back to life with this updated firmware...breathing new life into these devices and continued duty.

Pro's: It is more stable than factory software, gives added functionality, and the best part...its free!

Gotcha's: If you mess up the process, you could render your router useless. Reading and following the instructions makes this almost foolproof. Also it probably voids any warranty.

NOTE: Just wanted to expand on some of the additional controls you get...Only give access to someone (kids?) during certain hours, filter some websites so they can't go to them (Facebook?)...run a VPN service straight from your router that way you can access Hulu, Pandora, and other websites that are US only, from ALL devices in your home (PS3, XBOX?)...run a WIFI Hotspot...and much more

Instead of buying routers and upgrading the firmware to DD-WRT just buy yourself a Buffalo Router since now days they come with the DD-WRT software already.. If you have no IT experience i would NOT recommend upgrading the software on your own since it can damage the router completely..

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm currently using the NetGear N900 Wireless Router for HD streaming accross my 4 TV's, Cellphones, Laptops, etc... But in a business environment you don't need that much power. Anything with DD-WRT will do..