Need feedback on security cameras for home

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Lot of good feedback, thanks guys! I mainly got the cameras so that I can see if I hear anything at night. So, Im laying in bed and I hear something, you can then check on the monitors to see if you see anything. But I definitely agree with many here that cameras are only a small fraction of feeling and being safe at home. From what I get from all the post here is that apart from cameras I think a good plan should include:
1- Security Alarm system
2- Good neighbors
3- Making sure that the house is never left alone. If a trip is to be taken then a relative should stay home.
4- Dogs. I love large dogs, I have two large dogs, but they are very friendly and hardly bark. A small barking dog would make a lot of noises.
5- Security company to go along with the security alarm system.

Cheers!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
JDJones

Where I used to live, one of my neighbors installed a state of the art, kick butt security system with cameras all over the place.

A few months later, somebody broke into their house while they were at the supermarket.

They revised the tapes from the cameras, and got 3 crystal clear pictures of the the two thieves.

The called the police, who promptly came to their house two days later.

She handed the pictures to them, and the four officers took turns looking at them, passing them back and forth.

Then they handed them back to my neighbor, and announced that they didn't recognize either one of them.

She gave them an inventory of what was stolen, they asked for gas money, then left.........without the photos.
Jesus! Could you elaborate more on how they broke in? Did the burglar alarm (siren) fail to go off? Or did they have one of those silent alarms where they make no sound and the alarm company dispatches security personnel? Just trying to get some feedback on the many scenarios that can occur.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
The alarm went off, but had a one minute limit on it to not drive the neighbors nuts. They pried open a door. (none of that police coming when the alarm goes off here stuff)

All they really had was a glorified CCTV system.

The point of my post was that the four cops looked at the pics, didn't recognize the kids, and handed the pictures back to the neighbor, instead of taking them with them. That and the request for $$$.

Wow, if a security alarm siren going off for 1 minute wont scare thieves away, what the hell will? That is crazy and sad.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Or Anywhere else,for that matter.
Alarms sounding tend to pi$$ me off. I wouldn't call the "cops" if I knew who had robbed the house,or stolen the car.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC