Need Help about Moving to D.R. ???

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
My mother has Tricare U.S. Military health insurance, my late father served in the U.S. Air Force for 23 years, can she use that
insurance in the D.R. ? Also would you recommend Santiago or Santo Domingo ? And how much does it cost to send belongings there (Household items and Clothing).

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
There are many pluses .....many good points.......... and LOADS of negatives. It depends on where you are comfortable living and on your budget.

Come first........spend a while in a few different places.............

It's great if you have the moooooooney...................

I was of the opinion you are female.......... not sure why. Now I see from another post where you asked about hookers and girls, you are male.

Coming to live here with your mother.......jeeeeeeez....................What age are you...?

I am 41 years old

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My mother has Tricare U.S. Military health insurance, my late father served in the U.S. Air Force for 23 years, can she use that
insurance in the D.R. ? Also would you recommend Santiago or Santo Domingo ? And how much does it cost to send belongings there (Household items and Clothing).

No, she cannot use that or Medicare. The only place that she could use that offshore is in Puerto Rico, which is more expensive than the DR.

I would not say "do not come" but I think that moving from cultures to another is difficult at any age and becomes moreso with time. We are only saying that the idea of "cheap living in a tropical paradise" is more the idea from a promotional campaign than the reality.

How would your mother fare, for instance, in a nation that is 85% black and mulatto? If she adores the idea of a Caribbean culture, or really even KNEW it, then that would be different. The DR is an island nation and the great majority of the population have never been OFF the island and never will have the opportunity to go.

You have not given us your reasons for the move, or much information about where you are living now.

There are, for instance, for your Mom, lots and lots of 55 plus apartments in Florida which she could easily buy with her money. I assume that you, also, could stay with her. Plus there are all the advantages of the many actiities for seniors that are available and the insured medical care. Perhaps Florida would be an easier choice?

I do not know Santiago, only Santo Domingo. But I like it here, since I can at least SEE the sea. They say that Santiago is more "civilized", smaller, more laid back, and has a cooler climate being located higher up. But it never really sang to me.

My friends paid about $5k to ship a container here. I came with a backpack, a laptop, and a guitar.

JuanGonzo19

Dec 23, 2010
We are looking to move because we both do not like the USA or never did.
We lived here since 1985 when my father brought us here, he passed away in 2011.
And we don't like the culture here at all, all of our friends here are only Latin Americans
(Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubanos, Chilenos, Columbianos, etc)

We are Spanish but have always identified more with Latinos, we identify with them more since living in the US than people from Spain.I have never been in to the American culture or it's
people to be honest, that's why I have never truly had an American friend, as I don't
understand their culture,way of living, way of looking at things nor want to understand.
And like I said we have a very good friend who lives in Santo Domingo,
who will show us every step of the way.:p

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
We lived here since 1985 when my father brought us here, he passed away in 2011.
And we don't like the culture here at all, all of our friends here are only Latin Americans

We are Spanish but have always identified more with Latinos, we identify with them more since living in the US than people from Spain.I have never been in to the American culture or it's
people to be honest, that's why I have never truly had an American friend, as I don't
understand their culture,way of living, way of looking at things nor want to understand.
I think you will fit in very well. If you didn't understand and adopt american way (follow rules: in business, on driving, ... ; not littering,
; getting an education; being honest; being on-time; planning for future events; being respectful of other's spaces including loud music; being more worldly and less parochial..) Then this is the place for you! Welcome.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Juan, glad to know you felt warmly embraced by the Latino diaspora in the US. As a Spaniard not sure why you felt so far off the mark with the dominant US culture. Anyway, in the DR, you will be a gringo. It doesn't matter that you are a Spaniard. We'll, cuz, frankly, you're not. Anymore.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
She can use the TRICARE here, but it's on a re-imburseable basis

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Sure thing. Busted my a$$ in Great Inagua, was airlifted to Nassau. Had to pay for care up front, and file a claim after the fact.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
This reply should be a sticky!

Well, if you have never been here, you may be in for a shock. What with the garbage and the hookers and the stray dogs. As to the North Coast... I do not know most of the towns but it is far away from the Capital, far away from cultural activities, and will not perhaps have that much company for your Mom. Also it does not have the best medical care, which is located either in the Capital or Santiago.

Here in the Capital, for instance, there are regular activities from the Embassy of Spain and many Spaniards, as well as the International Womne's Club, and the English library, among other things. There she could perhaps make friends with others of her age group and interests.

I am not saying that she might not adapt to life in Puerto Plata or Sosua or Las Terrenas, which has a large expat community from many countries, but they are primarily beach resort towns and after the beach, there is not that much to do. I think that there is a movie theater now in Puerto Plata, but she will not find theater, or malls or much else. Plus, she will be car dependent.. unless she is good at riding on the back of a concho.

There are parts of Juan Dolio that are nice// the little village is charming. But most of the apartment buildings are empty and there is a sense of a ghost town about it.

Bavaro might suit her, and you, but again, there is the car issue. Evidently there is a growing community outside the resorts of both educated Dominicans of middle management and foreigners. That might be your best bet in terms of both job opportunities and being close to the beach. There is also a branch of one of the biggest hospitals there. It is flat land, beaches for miles and miles, and not a lot going on, but it is near some fairly big towns.

Santo Domingo is right on the water, and although there are a couple of beaches, I would not swim in the water there. The nearest really good beach, Guayacanes, is forty minutes by car.. and car is really the best way to get there.

Rents really depend on where you live. Three bedrooms are harder to find than the two bedrooms as family size has gotten smaller. Go to supercasas.com and take a look. If you want to stay under the one third for rent, you probably can find things. And I know that everyone here says rent rent rent.. which you certainly need to do for the first year. But they are pretty strict about the rent increases in the Capital which go up either five or ten percent a year. I would suggest that you start out looking for a two bedroom, just to get your feet on the ground. Also, you would be able to buy a two bedroom apartment within your 100k price range.. an older one, perhaps, but still in a good neighborhood.

I am an elder myself and lived on the beach for two years or so and found that I was sort of shriveling up for lack of intellectual companionship. A single woman is not invited out that much, except, of course, by the much younger Dominican men who are looking for a Sugar Mama. Plus Dominicans are very family oriented and tend to avoid tourists in general and newcomers. It will take a while to make any friends and ex pat gathering clubs are good places.

But the most important thing is for you to find work, as you need the money and be bored out of your skull if you do not work. You need to start the residency process back in States... Google DR1 residency and you will find our 18,000 threads on that subject. I suspect that hotels will be your best bet, but the salaries will depress you. Do not expect more than US $500 a month and hope to work your way up. If you have experience, or classes or whatever, you will have a better chance but they do really need English speakers. It will not give you a living to start but you are in a situation which might allow you to take something less and grow.

The dream of a villa with three bedrooms by the beach in your price range, is, I think, long gone. Perhaps in a more isolated place in the Island, like Pedernales or Luperon, you might find something like that but it would be hard for you to find work.

Those are just my thoughts. First you have to come see the place. It is an Afro Latin Carribean island, the Spanish spoken here is not the Spanish of Spain, and many Europeans (I am just saying this in general, not about your Mom) seem to think that the place is "beneath them". (I am trying to find a nice way to put that. Spaniards are not particularly personally beloved here even though they are worshipped in principal. One of my friends said "in they end, they always remind you that they were the colonial rulers".

So come and see the place. But also consider perhaps other countries where the living is even cheaper.... $2800 is good here but it is nothing to write home about.. it will not bring a Huge lifestyle.. a good one, certainly, for one person. Local health insurance is primarily available only if one buys it before the age of 65, although there are companies who will write policies for other elders if they are in good health.

I do not want to discourage you. I came here 10 years ago and it was the best move of my life. But I knew the Caribbean well and had also looked and travelled in Central America and eliminated several countries before I came.

If you are only coming for two weeks, I would suggest that you stay in the Capital for at least three or four days, then rent a car and drive the North Coast a bit, from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas, and see how you like it. Then, next trip, you can perhaps stay at an A1 in Punta Cana. Like that.. paso a paso

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please DO COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a big fan of ?Steven King HORROR STORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your's will be MUCH more ?Scary?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Running? to the DR, because you don't like the USA?????
NOW, that, SCARES THE $hit out of ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?Pop Corn? time to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Tom you are right on.

Juan I highly recommend renting before you even think about buying anything here. I would also recommend renting something furnished before you pack all you belongings into a container and ship them here. Coming for a week or two and staying at a hotel will not give you any kind of taste of real life here. You wont save any money by moving here, quite the contrary actually. Be prepared to open up a vein at the grocery store and gas stations.

I think you will fit in very well. If you didn't understand and adopt american way (follow rules: in business, on driving, ... ; not littering,
; getting an education; being honest; being on-time; planning for future events; being respectful of other's spaces including loud music; being more worldly and less parochial..) Then this is the place for you! Welcome.