Need help with exchange rates please.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It's ok, he's trying to help :)

I would still like to hear from someone who resently used an ATM card and what the exchange on that was. Yes I know they charge 5 bucks for each withdrawel

Anna,
Just walk in a Scotiabank in Canada and set up a basic checking account with a debit card it'll take 30 min.
Be sure you take some financial info from your other institution and set up the highest daily/weekly withdrawal rate you can get. If you have an ING account you can link both and transfer electronically while in the DR.
ING also pays 1.35% without tying up your cash.
If you are over 60 you'll get a seniors account for free.
Use your Scotia debit card to withdraw DOP at Scotiabank DR no service charges, all transactions are guaranteed by Scotiabank CAN.
Take some USD cash for arrival.

Online Security Guarantee
"We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorized activity in your accounts through Scotia OnLine Financial Services provided you have met your security responsibilities."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anna,
Just walk in a Scotiabank in Canada and set up a basic checking account with a debit card it'll take 30 min.
Be sure you take some financial info from your other institution and set up the highest daily/weekly withdrawal rate you can get. If you have an ING account you can link both and transfer electronically while in the DR.
ING also pays 1.35% without tying up your cash.
If you are over 60 you'll get a seniors account for free.
Use your Scotia debit card to withdraw DOP at Scotiabank DR no service charges, all transactions are guaranteed by Scotiabank CAN.
Take some USD cash for arrival.

Online Security Guarantee
"We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorized activity in your accounts through Scotia OnLine Financial Services provided you have met your security responsibilities."

and while you're in there - ask them for the exchange rate.

ALL problems solved........

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Call Scotiabank.... I do it regularly but not since last April, so my memory .......

Scotiabank is the best way to go. No bank fee. Most of the others charge 120 DP, I got hit by BHD (I think it was) for 195 DP at SDQ last month. The 40 to 1 is the rate right now for CD. Wally Cabarete has 39.9 to 1.
Although just bringing USD is easier for our northern friends in the long term.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Do not exchange dollars for pesos in Canada. When you get to the DR use your debit card to get DR pesos. That will be a much better rate. Do not exchange dollars at an exchange kiosk at the airport they charge you a service fee. Get enough pesos to get you to your destination. You can than see the current exchange rate. I believe as of today if you are exchanging dollars for pesos it is over 42 pesos to every $1. You are better off not bringing a lot of money with you. Use your debit card as needed. For security purposes be sure to let your bank in Canada know that you will be using the card in the DR. Good luck.

LTSteve

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Yup $120 pesos or under $3 USD to make an ATM withdrawal in SD from Banco Popular...Scotia Bank similar...better with an
account at Scotia Bank I'm sure.