Need "New Mexico" chilis

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
For making texmex chili. I used to buy it back home. It was just a generic Mexican chili powder. Sorry that's as detailed as I can get.
Yeah, that's what I meant; I know exactly what you mean. And I don't have any in my spices here. But I will keep a lookout for it.

You can make your own if you can find some dried ancho chilis.....grind them and add cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, paprika, cayenne.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl
Yeah, that's what I meant; I know exactly what you mean. And I don't have any in my spices here. But I will keep a lookout for it.

You can make your own if you can find some dried ancho chilis.....grind them and add cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, paprika, cayenne.

May 29, 2006
I've roasted peppers before and it's not that difficult. You cook them directly over the flame like marshmallows(with a gas stove) or on a grill. When the skin has charred, remove from the heat and let cool for about a minute before putting them into a plastic bag or in some aluminum foil. The bag keeps the steam in which will help loosen the skin. When the peppers have cooled some, you can scrape the charred skin off and you are left with the pealed peppers. I've even used a propane torch to do it.

How To Roast Peppers With A Propane Torch | LIVESTRONG.COM

To the OP, wouldn't you also want some tomatillos for that? Maybe you can find some green enchilada sauce? I've used that for pork/chicken.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
For making texmex chili. I used to buy it back home. It was just a generic Mexican chili powder. Sorry that's as detailed as I can get.
Found chili powder in Cabarete at the new Dollar Tienda! It's only RD$59 and a large bottle. Probably not very strong, but you can just use more.