Need Recommendation from computer pros

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I need to buy a laptop for a student that is about to begin studies (university in Santo Domingo). She will be travelling from home to school each day and I assume it will get some heavy usage. I want to buy new. I can buy in the states and bring it here if that is best (meaning I know I can save money but are there any disadvantages?)

What are the recommendations from the pros on DR1?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Morning no disadvantages . buy her a chrome book ... they work good...everything works the same here or on mars

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I need to buy a laptop for a student that is about to begin studies (university in Santo Domingo). She will be travelling from home to school each day and I assume it will get some heavy usage. I want to buy new. I can buy in the states and bring it here if that is best (meaning I know I can save money but are there any disadvantages?)

If no trip to the states anytime soon, Cecomsa Bellavista. Just ask the salesperson that you need a machine that can do heavy TeeTo and intagám videos

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
https://www.instagram.com/superlaptoprd/ https://www.instagram.com/guiaoutletrd/ Are two stores in Santo Domingo where you can buy new laptops.
But of course, if you are already in the states and planning on traveling here, then, of course, you could just bring it instead. But to ship it from the states, it's not worth it, it's gonna cost you more in the end because of the taxes.
To be clearer: I live in the DR near the capital BUT travel to the States every 27-29days for 10-14 days of business. So, yes, I can pack it in my bag as I have done before. What should I buy?

Reactions: playacaribe2

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

My two cents? …from experience….stay away from HP … built with cheap materials etc …go with Dell …a good refurbished Dell is way better than a new HP IMO ….Others may beg to differ.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Morning no disadvantages . buy her a chrome book ... they work good...everything works the same here or on mars
Chromebooks are all but useless for real computing. They do surf the web and do email and YouTube but they are so limited, and that's why they are so cheap.

You can buy a good Thinkpad like I did for my stepdaughter and also I have owned several.
They are reliable and easily fixed if there ever is a problem.
So many are corporate unused laptops sold as "refurbished" you can buy new ones for 35% of retail.
Suggest a T480s model

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If no trip to the states anytime soon, Cecomsa Bellavista. Just ask the salesperson that you need a machine that can do heavy TeeTo and intagám videos
Many thanks. As always your input is much appreciated by all. Sound and intelligent.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Yes do not buy a Chromebook, good for internet only.

For today's OS and computer programs (apps) I would buy a laptop with:

Intel Core i7 Processor, 12 gig Ram, and no less than 500 GB hard drive, there’s more things to look at but for me this is the bottom line that I would consider.

Basic description:

Processor = computer Speed,

Hard Drive = Equate to a library, the bigger the hard drive the more programs, photos picture, videos the computer can store.

Ram = Equate this to your short term memory, if your Ram is too small, your computer has to go back and forward a lot and slow down your computer. RAM runs your OS, reads the program, photos picture, videos

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes do not buy a Chromebook, good for internet only.

For today's OS and computer programs (apps) I would buy a laptop with:

Intel Core i7 Processor, 12 gig Ram, and no less than 500 GB hard drive, there’s more things to look at but for me this is the bottom line that I would consider.

Basic description:

Processor = computer Speed,

Hard Drive = Equate to a library, the bigger the hard drive the more programs, photos picture, videos the computer can store.

Ram = Equate this to your short term memory, if your Ram is too small, your computer has to go back and forward a lot and slow down your computer. RAM runs your OS, reads the program, photos picture, videos
First of all, let's get a reality check. This is a college student not running massive data distortion for NASA. A few other comments on build:. 12gb ram is unnecessary and very costly. 500 drive will make a laptop crawl no matter how good a CPU. To counter that you must have a solid state drive. This way you get the storage space and the speed. A decent icore machine with 8gig ram and a decent solid state drive is more than enough for a student who needs Gmail, Google docs, word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. You're not building a machine for Daniel Vasilaky here.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I
First of all, let's get a reality check. This is a college student not running massive data distortion for NASA. A few other comments on build:. 12gb ram is unnecessary and very costly. 500 drive will make a laptop crawl no matter how good a CPU. To counter that you must have a solid state drive. This way you get the storage space and the speed. A decent icore machine with 8gig ram and a decent solid state drive is more than enough for a student who needs Gmail, Google docs, word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. You're not building a machine for Daniel Vasilaky here.
I did study electronics in collage, work with computers at work, and have a small graphic design business on the side, I do know what reality is. Going below those specs will slow down your computer after 6 months of use, after loading programs and filling up your cacache and temp file.

You never know how many time people ask me to help them speed up their computer, that's it too slow.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Many college students do graphics and video editing (not just TikTok) and some engineering modeling and Autocad.

Yeah if the student is a sociology major they can do it all on an 11" Chromebook.

But someone in a tech field might just need the horsepower and upgraded storage capacity.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My two cents? …from experience….stay away from HP … built with cheap materials etc …go with Dell …a good refurbished Dell is way better than a new HP IMO ….Others may beg to differ.
I second avoiding HP. Had one that failed very quickly, after getting motherboard issues repaired under warranty.

I bought a Toshiba which has lasted years. Might have to replace it soon, however, since it was preloaded with Windows 7 Pro.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I second avoiding HP. Had one that failed very quickly, after getting motherboard issues repaired under warranty.

I bought a Toshiba which has lasted years. Might have to replace it soon, however, since it was preloaded with Windows 7 Pro.
Windows 7 Pro, you must have one of those 10lb black Toshibas, those were great back in the 90's!