Need scientific evidence

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Regular Carib spiny lobster. In the DR they take anything they can catch including the juveniles. In the US and most other civilized countries there are size limits. Spots are color variations. PIB nailed it right on the head. Man knows his lobsters.

May 29, 2006
Regulating the industry in a country like the DR is next to impossible. The lobsters will get smaller and smaller until the fishery crashes, and then it takes 6-10 years to recover. I expect it's happened sometime in the past 30 years once tourism got off the ground.

The resource gets more scarce, the market price goes up and they will spend more time and money fishing for them. Classic Tragedy of the Commons syndrome. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already importing frozen tails into the DR. Saw some tails at a COSTCO the other day for over $15 a pound. No wonder they're getting over-fished. I bet the fishermen are lucky to get a quarter per tail.

The good news is the fisheries do recover because of the lobsters' planktonic stage. They float around the Caribbean currents for a while so the DR will get new lobsters from upstream every year.

I understand many of the fishermen in the DR still use traps. Many of them get lost, and then they continue to catch lobsters for years, even decades. Since lobsters seek shelter, they'll go into empty traps and because they're cannibals, once you get one lobster in the trap, it will continue to self-bait itself. In the industry, these are called "Ghost Traps." Modern traps are designed with panels that rot away in a couple years to prevent this.

Cuba and Bermuda use a system of artificial shelters instead of traps. Then when they go to catch them, many escape, which keeps the fisheries sustainable. Very simple in design, but easier to fish than reefs. It protects the lobsters from their natural predators and may even increase the population.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Imagine if you could get New England lobster here. Simply the best.

New England Lobster is just Canadian lobster that wandered off south :), our Bay of Fundy Lobsters are huge they grow so large so fast 10-12 pounders are the rule. Then we have the Northumberland Strait Lobsters on the north coast of New Brunswick between Prince Edward Island and them guys are 3- 5 pounders with market canners in at a 1.5 size. I live in the middle of both fishing zones....... but I am allergic to Lobster , yup sucks to be me.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Langostino looks like none other than spiny lobster: But it looks like in the DR they also
serve baby spiny lobsters.

One Big Bug! | Wanderlust: The Mintz Family's Sailing Adventure

Pan full of baby spiny lobsters:

Langostas-y-Langostinos.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what is in DR in spanish named Langostino has nothing to do with the english name Langostino.
here in DR, if caught by local fisherman, the Langostinos are just small Spiny caribbean lobsters.
where it really gets confusing is at the hotels, like the resorts here in punta cana, as none of them serves anything from the DR when it comes to seafood, all is imported, as the local fishery could not serve not even one of the numerous big megaresort's needs, so whats finally really served there when they name it Langostino may be a completely new theme for a new topic, lol.
what Local Fisherman name Langostino is a small spiny caribbean lobster.
I hate Lobster, but prefer the caribbean lil ones over the coldwater big ones up north, but again, i do not really like either.

Mike

May 29, 2006
They should fine any hotel or restaurant that sells them $10 per undersized lobster they have in stock, or at the very least seize them. Only prob is it would likely up the cache of selling them.. Trying to control the fishermen is much harder. I'm telling you, if that's anywhere close to the average size they have in the restaurants, the industry is heading for a collapse in under 10 years. After the lobster, then the conch crash, because it's the same ppl fishing them. Then they'll be marketing "Lambistino" as the trendy dish.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Lunch - research into Langustines ?

Conchman, If you ant to do some first hand research go to Los Gringos at Megante Beach. Try the SeaFood platter.

Here is a photo and you can see that there are at least four sorts of seafood on the plate.

IMG_2393_zpsd5b28e5c.jpg

IMG_2352_zps3d17c1fa.jpg

Some were described as River Shrimp others a Langustines, and ordinary shrimp.

Great for lunch.

Olly and the Team

Last edited:

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Marisco caribe?o in Santiago has some good stuffed lobster with a nice cold presidente on a tall glass out doors

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
New England Lobster is just Canadian lobster that wandered off south :), our Bay of Fundy Lobsters are huge they grow so large so fast 10-12 pounders are the rule. Then we have the Northumberland Strait Lobsters on the north coast of New Brunswick between Prince Edward Island and them guys are 3- 5 pounders with market canners in at a 1.5 size. I live in the middle of both fishing zones....... but I am allergic to Lobster , yup sucks to be me.

And what about those digby scallops. Mmmmmmmmm