Need to buy older model iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is a GSM only smartphone. I think Claro is a CDMA network. I don't see how it would work on Claro(?).

Anyway, yet one more reason to buy an iPhone. I won't have to check any of this stuff! :classic:

I have been using GSM phones on Claro for too many years to remember. They work...........

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have been using GSM phones on Claro for too many years to remember. They work...........

Ok, then obviously Claro is a GSM network. GSM phones don't work on CDMA networks.

One of the cellphone companies here is CDMA - not sure which. Maybe it's Viva(?).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This is a GSM only smartphone. I think Claro is a CDMA network. I don't see how it would work on Claro(?).

Anyway, yet one more reason to buy an iPhone. I won't have to check any of this stuff! :classic:

When Mexicans bought Verizon here they shutted down the CDMA network and is now only GSM, same thing happend with VIVA the CDMA is Off since like 2 years ago and Tricom now is Altice and they turned off and migrate the clients to Altice GSM network, so now all companies are GSM.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Ok. Didn't hear about that. Most of the rest of the world is on GSM.

I don't know why anyone would bother with an Android phone if you have check out if it's going to work or not(?). Just get an iPhone.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I don't know why anyone would bother with an Android phone if you have check out if it's going to work or not(?). Just get an iPhone.

Some carrier iPhones are frequency limited - make sure where you buy. If it has a carrier logo like Verizon or Sprint - don't buy for DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some carrier iPhones are frequency limited - make sure where you buy. If it has a carrier logo like Verizon or Sprint - don't buy for DR

Older model iPhones used to be either CDMA or GSM, and Riva just said there are no longer any CDMA networks here, so a CDMA only iPhone wouldn't work here, but ever since the iPhone 6 series they are GSM/CDMA dual compatible. As long as it is unlocked, it will work anywhere.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Simple, buy the phone you want, either an Android GMS phone or an IPhone. Either one will work here as long as it is unlocked.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Simple, buy the phone you want, either an Android GMS phone or an IPhone. Either one will work here as long as it is unlocked.

Not quite. Riva posted an example of an Android GMS phone that would only work on some carriers here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not quite. Riva posted an example of an Android GMS phone that would only work on some carriers here.

Does he need a phone that works on ALL the carriers here or just the one he uses?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Does he need a phone that works on ALL the carriers here or just the one he uses?

The OP is looking for an iPhone, so he doesn't have to worry about that. It'll work on all carriers.

On the other hand, if you buy an Android, you'll first have to do the research and make sure it works on the carrier you want to use and, if you ever want to change, your options are limited. Seems much simpler just to buy an iPhone.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The OP is looking for an iPhone, so he doesn't have to worry about that. It'll work on all carriers.

On the other hand, if you buy an Android, you'll first have to do the research and make sure it works on the carrier you want to use and, if you ever want to change, your options are limited. Seems much simpler just to buy an iPhone.

Yes, is not only about other carriers, is also about the carrier you are using. In the case of the iphone just make sure is a phone for America and will have all the bands must used in this part of the world, Europe and Asia use other bands.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Ok, then obviously Claro is a GSM network. GSM phones don't work on CDMA networks.

One of the cellphone companies here is CDMA - not sure which. Maybe it's Viva(?).

Also most LTE phone use a SIM for LTE service, even if CDMA for voice.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Same issues with an iPhone. China has different LTE bands than the US.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

The LTE band is what's important. I had a Sprint Galaxy Mega and once the LTE slot was unlocked, it worked on Claro perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.