Need to renew my American passport

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
My American passport expires in December. Can I get it renewed here in the Dominican Republic? What is the process?

Larry

rich17

May 1, 2006
citizenship for my son?

hey ken, im a US citizen, my son who was born in DR is living there, if i want to bring him to the US can i file for his papers at the US embassy in DR, or do i have to do the process from the US?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
hey ken, im a US citizen, my son who was born in DR is living there, if i want to bring him to the US can i file for his papers at the US embassy in DR, or do i have to do the process from the US?

I am pretty sure you must file an I-130 from the USA...Petition for an alien relative..Since he is officially a Dominican Citizen...The only time the Embassy would get involved is for his interview process for the visa...The OP is about a US Passport but here is your answer anyhow....

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Rich17 I?m having a hard time figuring out your situation. According to this you are Dominican and according to this you may not be.

If you are an American citizen and the child is yours then the child is a US citizen also as well as being a Dominican Citizen. All that is required is the paperwork to request and confirm his US citizenship.

Rick

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
Photos in Consulate

Larry,

I would recommend having your photographs taken inside the consulate. This is a new service that is offered with the advantage of having the perfect type of photograph in regards to size, white area, centering, etc. They charge $ 200 RD for six photos (in June 2006) and they guarantee acceptance. This is a big time and headache saver.

Rich, to transfer citizenship to your child you will need to contact the US consulate in Santo Domingo and they will explain to you the process that you need to complete and the documentation that is required to process this application.

Greg

rich17

May 1, 2006
yes and yes

Rich17 I?m having a hard time figuring out your situation. According to this you are Dominican and according to this you may not be.

If you are an American citizen and the child is yours then the child is a US citizen also as well as being a Dominican Citizen. All that is required is the paperwork to request and confirm his US citizenship.

Rick

i was born in DR but i have US citizenship. my question is if i need to do all this paper work in the US or can i just go to DR and do this from the US embassy in DR.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
One more question....

After you submit everything, how long does it take to get the new passport?

Larry

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
In the DR

i was born in DR but i have US citizenship. my question is if i need to do all this paper work in the US or can i just go to DR and do this from the US embassy in DR.

Rich, you will have to complete the process for the child in the DR. Part of this process will require you and the child and the child's mother (if available) to be interviewed by the consulate, among other requirements. You will have to substantiate your relation to the child, offer proof of your time in the US, proof of your ability to transfer citizenship, prove your relation with the mother of the child, etc. etc. All of this will have to take place in the US consulate in the capital.

You should contact the consulate for current details as they relate to your specific situation. This is a rather detailed process and you need to follow the instructions from the consulate precisely.

Greg