nettles

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am pretty sure that common sense would prevail here. If you need fertilizer, go buy some. If you need some herbal nettles, I am sure you can find a box of processed plant material on Amazon or somewhere similar. Every adult who has ever traveled internationally knows that at the very least import permits and phytosanitary certificates are required to import plants, plant materials and seeds into every country on the planet. Every customs form I have seen specifically asks if you are carrying plant material.

Most countries will not issue permits for plants deemed to be a noxious weed, which nettles certainly are. While I would like to think that the DR authorities would seize any such seeds coming into the country, I am not at all confident that they would catch every shipment or any seeds one might have in their pocket. Especially if the packaging is in any language other than Spanish.

To go one step further and actually plant and grow a weed or other invasive species would be an example of callous disregard for the environment and in my eyes the epitome of selfishness. I would be hard pressed to understand what would behoove someone to do something so boneheaded unless it was a last ditch effort to save their last child from the scourge of some deadly disease and only then might I be able to summon some small amount of empathy. Otherwise, I can only view such an action as a crime against the national interest and would be first in line to dropkick the perpetrator as far across the pond as possible after seizing everything they own to help curtail the spread of their little hobby garden.

Examples of invasive species both animal and plant that are damaging the environment in our home countries abound. What would possess someone to contemplate introducing or expanding the range of existing threats here on a tropical island even if you no longer consider it paradise?

I'm just saying, I don't get it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rep Dom,

Until I read that on this thread earlier, I did not know they already grew here. I would think the presence of that plant would not automatically allow more of that plant to be brought in. I am sure not all species of nettles are already here and on the off chance that they type that makes the best fertilizer isn't already available on a hillside somewhere, I'm pretty sure a new species would not be needed or wanted.. :)

Regardless, all seeds still need certification to be imported here or at home even if they are perfectly permissible to import. Just more paperwork, but it's that paperwork that attempts to prevent the collapse of ecosystems. Once the invader is here, it's for the most part impossible to get rid of, so it's really important especially in isolated habitats such as islands that they don't get here in the first place. Even the best of intentions often backfire when non-native species are introduced into an environment with no natural checks and balances.

Every morning I check my yard to make sure those little yellow flowers aren't dandelions. :laugh:

Just look at Kudzu in the US for an example.

Jul 28, 2014
We used to soak nettles in a drum (to make a "muck"?) and leave it for days/weeks.
Horrible smell, but yes, a very good fertilizer.
Maybe there are weeds here, that could be used as well. Finding and experimenting would be the problem...

donP

Do yourself a favour and ask some locals from the Barrio about the kind of thing you are looking for, I am moderately confident they know of various plants that add many values and probably even grow wild/free...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
happy memories of pushing my brother into nettle bushes back home. of course he treated me the same but seeing his pain was worth suffering. childhood is a beautiful thing.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mata Puerco

Do yourself a favour and ask some locals from the Barrio about the kind of thing you are looking for, I am moderately confident they know of various plants that add many values and probably even grow wild/free...

We have a lot of weeds on our finca. I remember that (about 20 years ago) my 'encarcado' warned me about the plant 'mata puerco' which can give you real bad sores.

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden...es-feed-the-soil-and-the-gardener-2530408.php
http://www.richsoil.com/nettles.jsp

donP

Last edited: