Never be on time

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I think that "on time" has a linguistic flexibility of meaning similar to "Finished", as in "the job is finished" or '"tomorrow for sure".

There is also a self-sustaining paradox in the timing of events as in:-

"Let's get there on time for once!".

"What for? -We will be the only ones there."

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm kinda fine with lack of punctuality. makes it less stressful to go out.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
i'm kinda fine with lack of punctuality. makes it less stressful to go out.

Eeerrrrrmmmm. I guess I still have too much New York/Boston in me. In New York, "on time" means ten minutes early. In Massachusetts, it means a half an hour. You can take the girl out of NY, but etc., etc.

Clearly, this is another lesson of the 2.5 world that I shall have to learn. It won't come easy.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There's an expanded version on my actual blog that I decided not to post on DR-1, as I have been flamed lately, so I'm laying low. But thanks. I sag and sigh for your approval.

I liked the story , please reconsider posting the whole thing here.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Eeerrrrrmmmm. I guess I still have too much New York/Boston in me. In New York, "on time" means ten minutes early. In Massachusetts, it means a half an hour. You can take the girl out of NY, but etc., etc.

Clearly, this is another lesson of the 2.5 world that I shall have to learn. It won't come easy.

You spare no opportunity to flaunt your superiority complex, here and in your blog.

You only need to adapt if you want to stay.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You spare no opportunity to flaunt your superiority complex, here and in your blog.

Well, thanks for your unsparing and unfiltered opinion.

Don't read the blog. Put me on your ignore list. If you don't like smart, articulate women, there's your solution. It's pretty simple.

I have other complexes, doctor, but superiority is not one of them.

And I lived here 33 years ago when the North Coast was a very different place. So cut me a little slack. Geeeez.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I liked the story , please reconsider posting the whole thing here.

I thought it was sort of repetitive, and as the recipient of some really interesting recent personal cyber-flaming, I'll just send you the link, if you'd like.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I work with and for Dominicans. My previous boss (born in Santiago) always used to ask, "American time or Dominican time?" when we talked about meeting times and appointments. If Dominicans themselves acknowledge that there are issues with punctuality, how is it superiority to recognize it as such?

Yes, I have adapted. Been here since 2001, speak, read and write Spanish. Have been told more than once that I am "aplatanada." You do not do Dominicans useful service by responding blindly with invective and ad hominem to whatever you deem offensive.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
. Have been told more than once that I am "aplatanada." You do not do Dominicans useful service by responding blindly with invective and ad hominem to whatever you deem offensive.
Especially when you choose to live in the States

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
When I worked at CODETEL we always specified american time. we also had a basket for the beepers which had to be shutoff. Now its the cellphones.
That way we could have the meetings with no interruptions.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
"responding blindly with invective and ad hominem to whatever you deem offensive".
Which "invective and ad hominem" are you talking about?
Read the "Americanas vs Dominicanas" blog post of that person (among other writings) and then talk.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Which "invective and ad hominem" are you talking about?
Read the "Americanas vs Dominicanas" blog post of that person (among other writings) and then talk.

Virgo:

Why is that you have to so confrontational with almost every post?

No, based on your prior pm's, arguing is NOT why these boards exist only certain FORUMS here can you do that!!!!

"I see nothing whatsoever wrong with adults arguing about any topic, if it is done without profanities, and insults against individuals or groups.
That is exactly why these boards exist"

Status
Not open for further replies.