never been to Semana Santa in the DR ,.. any pointers?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yup, tents everywhere. Sleeping in cars, lawns, on dirt, on beach, in tents, etc. Not a pretty sight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
beach hotels are FULL!!
Many other hotels also.
Would you like to be in an all inclusive hotel filled with mostly Dominicans?
You know how WELLdominicans control their kids,not to mention themselves!
The buffets are picked clean!
NOT FUN!
UNLESS YOU TOO ARE A drunk!
cc

Everything in moderation for a moderator...............I couldn't resist -- lo siento

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
30,000 people in Cabarete on the beach? Just look at transportation... that's the equivalent of about 400-500 buses, 5000 full carloads of people, or a combination of the two. It would take almost a month of Caribe/Metro buses arriving in Sosua (about 20/day) or parking areas for 2000+ cars to reach the number you mention. Also, keep in mind that while it IS crowded, the crowd only stretches from Ojo's to Lax.

Maybe more like 3-5,000 people on the beach?

2010 it was 38,000+ in Cabarete alone...

Let alone the entire Puerto Plata beach strip...

You have to walk/hop in the water to get from point A to the first leg of the push to point B...

3 to 5,000 people you can gather in a popular chimi spot alone in the DR...

[video=youtube;OppDIFgAC-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OppDIFgAC-E[/video]

[video=youtube;mbvxUr51mTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbvxUr51mTQ&feature=related[/video]

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
beach hotels are FULL!!
Many other hotels also.
Would you like to be in an all inclusive hotel filled with mostly Dominicans?
You know how WELLdominicans control their kids,not to mention themselves!
The buffets are picked clean!
NOT FUN!
UNLESS YOU TOO ARE A drunk!
cc

Thanks !! I would admit I am bit curious to see it from my own eyes, but since I will be with my toddlers, doesn't seem to be a good idea.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Recent in 2011

[video=youtube;F3mz5eqqpa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3mz5eqqpa8[/video]

[video=youtube;g2mqOY7YufE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2mqOY7YufE[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I will say one positive thing about "Semana Santa",if you love "Eye Candy",you will get your fill!
Some of the beauties lose their "Tops" from time to time,thanks to "Senor Barcelo"!
CC

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
2010 it was 38,000+ in Cabarete alone...

Let alone the entire Puerto Plata beach strip...

You have to walk/hop in the water to get from point A to the first leg of the push to point B...

Pichardo,
I used google maps to get the dimensions of the area where the party is... from Ojos to Pomodoro.
It's about 900 x 120 feet... 108,000 square feet.

Crowd estimating methods based on density would put it probably somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 sq feet per person.
I'm going to go with 3.5, as things thin out about 2/3 way to the beach. So, by that estimate the space probably had about 31,000 people.

So, I'll give it to you and hammerdown. My gut feeling of crowd size (which in this case I can see from my property and which I walked through a few times last year) was wrong. The crowd in Cabarete was probably well over 30,000 as you stated.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
my borthday is april 9 so i m really looking for a blowout weekend.... I ma being told Bani is quite a hotspot and not as mad as the northern beaches what do you think? I m not a kid anymore by far, but I love a bit of groove. But 50 m illions people fighting for a bathroom is not my kind of fun... bani maybe????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my borthday is april 9 so i m really looking for a blowout weekend.... I ma being told Bani is quite a hotspot and not as mad as the northern beaches what do you think? I m not a kid anymore by far, but I love a bit of groove. But 50 m illions people fighting for a bathroom is not my kind of fun... bani maybe????

If you're looking for beaches without tourists, only Dominicans, take a look at Palenque and Najayo. Both west of SD, south coast

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
that 's more like ti... I want to party with Dominicans... It as syggested IO go to Bani... i guess along the same route toPalenque nad nayajo...? good pointers thanks and will it be for the entire week or just the Friday and saturday when people go bananas???

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
i get to the DR april 3 // will I miss Semana Santa celebrations? and where would I see the most authentic... not those geared to tourists? Where Dominicans get down and crazy?/ thanks for any advice..while in the country I sure wouldn t want to miss something spectacular

If you have a Dominican guide available then Nagua is the place to be in Semana Santa.