New Disco Opens in Sosua

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Drinks Prices - Cabarete

Ken & Tor,
Can see both your points but generalising, when was the last time either of you visited Cabarete? We still boycott those bars/restaurants who price everything in US$! We have no problem with raising prices when necessary but to try and charge US$2 for a small Presidente is a rip off! Especially when the good guys are still in pesos and still only charging RD$35 and 40 for the same small Presidente.
Needless to say - guess where we residents hang out??
With regards to the new disco in Sosua, and we're glad it's there and not near our house in Cabarete having just suffered the annual 10 days summer festival noise from the local baseball diamond, remember they have high overheads and need to cover those. If that means higher prices for drinks and people are happy to pay their prices and hang there then good luck to them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The market ultimately determines the pricing, not the business.

Some of the high-end clubs in Santo Domingo are at those price points
and they are staying in business.

It's good to see people like Sosua Bay and Starz Resorts come in and try and revive Sosua. It's what Sosua needs, because right now it's current occupants are not capable of making the necessary change to kick start Sosua again.

All I hear is complaints and nobody actually doing anything in Sosua.
You go 15 mins down the road to Caberete and it can be hard to finding a car parking space.
Caberate has done a wonderful of job of self promotion and organization for the benefit of all. I only wish some of the business owners in Sosua would do the same in an attempt to protect their livelihoods.

If a tourist is prepared to pay RD$80-100 pesos for a beer, I think thats wonderful!
Sosua needs more tourists that can and will vacation at those price points.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Well, all I can say for myself is that I can't wait to visit this new Voodoo lounge and I won't mind paying 80-100RD for a Presidente. If I want cheap beer, I'll just stay home by the pool and have a few. On the other hand, if I want entertainment, nice club, good environment that doesn't smell garbage, I would visit the Voodoo.

If they can only keep those teenager girls trying to have sex with tourists for a few bucks, that's certainly worth paying 80 RD for a beer! My idea of a night out is not hanging around carwash or being harassed by young girls begging for US $.

I will definitely visit the place on my next trip.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I hung out there last night. My bill came to 1300 pesos with tip. I love the place. No riff raff and no one bothering you. Nice big drinks as well.

I went there with Rob when they opened and it was LOUD and we walked in and out, but it was nice there last night. Hung out on a sofa upstairs and they brought drinks up for us. I may go back tonight!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
If they can only keep those teenager girls trying to have sex with tourists for a few bucks, that's certainly worth paying 80 RD for a beer! My idea of a night out is not hanging around carwash or being harassed by young girls begging for US $.

Man, that's really sick! How can anyone think that way! :: smile ::

Rob's right though. The market will decide. There's lots of room for all price points if they offer something different. I hate the car wash and the High Caribbean Club, too just because I hate being molested - when I don't want to be (That's not often but sometimes!).

This happens already in Sosua guys, though not with clubs so much. A bottle of champagnes costs $150 at the liquor store SuperSuper, $200 at Playero, and like $245 at the OTHER Playero owned by the same company and just up the street from the Voodoo Lounge. What's the difference? Charging the silly tourists who don't know you can get the same thing for half the price just by walking a block or two. (Are you listening KiethRogan?)

Do I have a problem with that? Heck no! If I owned the place I'd do exactly the same thing. I hope they're around for a long time.

Tom (aka XR)