New fiber optic speeds!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
it is available in select communities in the Sosua area, as I am sure you already know. The only people who would know about future expansion plans is Claro themselves and that might be expecting too much of that company.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can some one tell me when (or if) the fiber optic cable is going to be available in Sosua?

The trunk line was already laid to the area. The actual connection to each community will depend on how many people call for the service to be offered on each sector.

Priority is being provided to large biz in the area first.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I'm West Santo Domingo on Prolongacion 27 Feb, about a half a kilometer from Ave. Luperon.

May want to look at this area, there's a ton of apartment buildings going up.

BTW, the Govt. has been after the carriers for months (if not years) to improve their service. I don't think Claro is responding to Tricom - I think Tricom (because of it's size) can react faster to upgrading technology

In reality your take is half the answer. The gov made it clear to service providers in the DR that their monopoly in their market was at stake if upgraded service to fiber wasn't offered at competitive prices that could be mirrored from average prices for the region and eastern U.S. The gov had sent notice that it was willing to make huge concessions to a Taiwanese company in the short term and another one equally generous to a South Korean conglomerate. The gov laid out the speeds expected for service in residential and commercial areas as posted above.

Prices will be very competitive in the mid to long term for the market in the DR. Speeds of 100 Mbps will be the common average for residential service. For biz the average will be much more than that.

A public/private plan to offer nation-wide Wi-Fi is also being deployed. The speeds will be 5Mbps/1Mbps.

The service will be supported via ads placement while using the free service from the public/private source.
The gov will not make a profit from ad revenues, but will have access to place public and emergency announcements/ads over the same networks.

You can bet fiber will expand beyond what you see today. The more calls for service they get from locations near a trunk, the faster the service will be offered in those sectors.

If any given community wants the service sooner, all they need to do is to have a community meeting where the residents sign up a willing to get services from the provider letter and then send it to the company via fax. They will corroborate the names wanting the service and location via calls and if it makes biz sense at that point, they'll send a crew to make those connections reality.

For each sector there's a breakpoint from expense of connectivity for new accounts to turn a profit. If you can reach enough people willing to order the service and provide beyond the breakpoint to them, they'll do it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Every now and then somethings do appear to move forward. Since I haven't had a Claro account before, after a couple of rather pointless requirements, Claro has approved me for a fiber internet account. Fiber internet does not appear to be offered as a stand alone service, at the very least you need to accept a bundled land line telephone. Not really a bit deal even if you don't plan on using it, the price remains the same.

Those in the Sosua area who are currently using Delancer for their internet connection may be interested in having a conversation with Delancer. When I went in yesterday to give my 1 month notice of intent to cancel Internet with Delancer they appeared to be unaware and shocked by the current speeds/pricing being offered by Claro. Delancer immediately offered to match Claro's price, but is unable to match Claro's offered speeds.

For those in areas not yet serviced by Claro fiber, Delancer remains the best option if you download lots of data monthly (imho). Delancer's prices for 6 & 10 Mbts are way way over priced approaching the level of usury but in my experience the service is reliable and consistently available. Claro's ISDN/mobile internet service just cannot compare as well over the long term.

In my case, the switch to Claro will save me $5000 RD$/month for speed that is advertised as being 4X faster. I don't think I can lose unless Claro fails to work at all. Common sense would suggest that Delancer's pricing scheme cannot survive in the face of Claro's offerings. Even if you don't have access to Claro fiber yet, show Delancer a printout that you can get faster speeds for cheaper and they may offer you a price reduction now to keep your business. They did for me, but in the end I can switch now for a faster service so that's what I chose to do.

Feb 7, 2007
The trunk line was already laid to the area. The actual connection to each community will depend on how many people call for the service to be offered on each sector.

Priority is being provided to large biz in the area first.

Well not so correct for Higuey. Apparently, unless they pay millions to Karina and the Clan, they ain't laying one foot of ANY cable whatsoever in Higuey. They apparently had to pay 2 million in "fees" just to connect La Sirena with F/O, according to one of the zone supervisors. That's why the "redes" of Claro in Higuey are "todo podrido" a relict from the 80's. Not so in Bavaro or La Romana, but hey, Karina and her Clan have no sayin' there!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Claro wants to take over (monopoly after all) all three services. Tv, Internet and Phone (actually this last one is to include home and wireless service into the fold).

FO service with 100 Mbps ++ service will be the normal in the DR. Adding to that the fact that even as speeds increase exponentially, the prices will continue to drop as well.

Claro is testing a 4K channel as well. They aim to be the first to provide 4K service in the DR.

The real competition and speed increases for FO ISP will come when the second provider starts to unroll their services too.

This is just the beginning...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Claro wants to take over (monopoly after all) all three services. Tv, Internet and Phone (actually this last one is to include home and wireless service into the fold).

FO service with 100 Mbps ++ service will be the normal in the DR. Adding to that the fact that even as speeds increase exponentially, the prices will continue to drop as well.

Claro is testing a 4K channel as well. They aim to be the first to provide 4K service in the DR.

The real competition and speed increases for FO ISP will come when the second provider starts to unroll their services too.

This is just the beginning...

Claro is one of the worst companies in the world I ever had to deal with. They need to get over that first and the operative word is "will".

The rest of the world calls it bundling when you have internet, telephone and television all in one package. A monopoly is when you take over all of one type of business, not several different ones. It is just bundling, but it will likely be bungling if Claro is doing it.
My step daughter just got such a plan close to where you likely live for about $100 a month. How many
generations before that is possible in the DR? Around the same time there is 24/7 power?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Claro is one of the worst companies in the world I ever had to deal with. They need to get over that first and the operative word is "will".

The rest of the world calls it bundling when you have internet, telephone and television all in one package. A monopoly is when you take over all of one type of business, not several different ones. It is just bundling, but it will likely be bungling if Claro is doing it.
My step daughter just got such a plan close to where you likely live for about $100 a month. How many
generations before that is possible in the DR? Around the same time there is 24/7 power?

internet, telephone and tv together are available for even well less than $100.- per month, and you do not need to live in a FO connected area for that. FO connections provide well higher speeds and cost even less, but that stuff is already and since long available via conventional cable connections. i work on such online 24/7, watch movies on Netflix and play games online, and i do not pay $100.- for all together including the phoneplan with actually 500 Free minutes to europe included.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
internet, telephone and tv together are available for even well less than $100.- per month, and you do not need to live in a FO connected area for that. FO connections provide well higher speeds and cost even less, but that stuff is already and since long available via conventional cable connections. i work on such online 24/7, watch movies on Netflix and play games online, and i do not pay $100.- for all together including the phoneplan with actually 500 Free minutes to europe included.

Mike

Understood that basic plans as such are available that could total less than $100 a month. I am referring to a plan that is competitive to one that PICHARDO could have where he lives in Florida, since the DR is always ready, willing and able to do better than anywhere else in the world.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Well not so correct for Higuey. Apparently, unless they pay millions to Karina and the Clan, they ain't laying one foot of ANY cable whatsoever in Higuey. They apparently had to pay 2 million in "fees" just to connect La Sirena with F/O, according to one of the zone supervisors. That's why the "redes" of Claro in Higuey are "todo podrido" a relict from the 80's. Not so in Bavaro or La Romana, but hey, Karina and her Clan have no sayin' there!

Karina who?

Just to let you know that the main FO trunk's protecting conduits for Higuey was laid down on June 2009.
The FO main trunk followed RD-104 all the way to Miches.

INDOTEL was in charge of land clearance for the burial and location markings of the conduits.

MOPC was in charge of dealing with the private property landowners where it was needed to be done.

The problem for Claro is not the trunk, but the actual expansion and linkage to each sector/site.

It will happen. The thing is, like I said, it has to make economic sense for them to link the sector to the trunk.

Aside from the private trunk above described, the DR gov is also installing a FO trunk of its own.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Aside from the private trunk above described, the DR gov is also installing a FO trunk of its own.

Anything for a kickback. Will that work as well as the DR Government being involved in power distribution?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
where's the darn Metro connecting DownTown Santo Domingo with DownTown Punta Cana???
they could lay their FO cable along the track, no need to further confiscate private land for a gov. run extra trunck, lol.

MIke

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
where's the darn Metro connecting DownTown Santo Domingo with DownTown Punta Cana???
they could lay their FO cable along the track, no need to further confiscate private land for a gov. run extra trunck, lol.

MIke

Don't you know that will be the next leg for connection of the High Speed Bullet train?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so riding on the bullet train i get a wireless fiberoptic connection to stay in touch with our Nanny when we visit the capital? it is important that i can skype with my 4 years ole babygirl, heck, why else did i give here that i-phone 6 for her 4th

Mike??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
so riding on the bullet train i get a wireless fiberoptic connection to stay in touch with our Nanny when we visit the capital? it is important that i can skype with my 4 years ole babygirl, heck, why else did i give here that i-phone 6 for her 4th

Mike??

A fiber optic connection is indeed already without a wire, so we will have to call it a fiber-less internet connection in this case. And I am sure that the ultramodern bullet trains will have the highest possible speed WiFi.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
come on, winde,
you wanna tell me a Train runs on Wifi??
i think they run on rails or along some magnet lines.
but hey, I have Wifi all around my house, so in the near furture i may become the owner of a Trainstation then?
that future does look brighter than i thought, tho.

MIke

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sure the DR trains will be maglev superconducting magnet based trains. Nothing but the most modern will do.

You can choose to own a station, I suppose, if you wish. The future is so bright, we have to wear shades:

[video=youtube;8qrriKcwvlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY[/video]