New Juan Luis Guerra Video

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
Dear All,

I would just like to share the new Juan Luis Guerra video with you: La Guagua.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9x_Zmt4S01s&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9x_Zmt4S01s&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

What fantastic lyrics: La guagua va en reversa! Such an expressive way of showing the direction country is going at the moment (? pa?lante que vamos?). I especially like the part with the people in the cinema dancing, watching the reality of their country through 3D glasses. What a great way of criticising the current social and political climate in the DR.

Juan Luis, you are the greatest!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i normally dislike merengue/bachata/salsa branding it "music for old farts" :)
but this one is good, i like!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Tropical music of this kind is JLG's best music...

Juan Luis has another winner with this song. I like it and I also like the rhythm. Has anyone noticed the rhythmic similarity to another sister rhythm of tropical music? This is definitely one of JLG's strong points as a musician and artist- fusion of rhythms is what he does so well. The lyrics, well no one should question whether it was written by JLG (or another Dominican) not only because of the social current but the wording, where certain words are placed in the phrases. Very Dominican/ Caribbean Spanish.

Anyway I will check out the whole album and if it's good, I may consider adding it to my list of cds to purchase in 2010. One is already on my list which is "Llámame by Raulin Rodriguez.

The feedback on Amazon is good. I will listen to the samples and probably end up buying the album. Good music is my inspiration.

Thanks for posting the video!

The countdown is on!

-MP.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
great song. Bachata in Fukuoka and La LLave de mi Corazon are still my favorites at the moment.

i would like to see a guagua in the DR that looks like that :laugh:

thanks for posting....

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Go to Panama...

The buses in Panama, aka 'la chiva' look like that and they are old and run down. The new President promised new modern buses at least in Panama City. It will be interesting to see if they do get some or least buses comparable to the city buses in Colombia.

JLG, is an interesting musician/ artist. In my opinion, he does 'soft' versions of the genres he sings. My classic favourites remain as: 'La bilirrubina'- try playing that at a party and see if you find anyone sitting down and 'El costo de la vida', the lyrics just say it all.

I definitely want to hear the whole album. Some new music would be nice since I have really slowed down my purchases over the last four years.

If anyone is looking for a nice collector's album I recommend:

'Grandes ?xitos de Juan Luis Guerra 4.40'.

-MP.

May 31, 2005
Mierda que jevi! Juan Luis hasta bailo un poco! I say that because he rarely dances and he has even said it himself!

P

poponlaburra

Great video as always, great! It would be perfect if he has a hair transplant and get rid of the hats or just show his baldness.
Elton John has his hair transplant and looks great! Just a thought.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Love it!!!

This video is hilarious! I love the guagua (aside from wondering every time I step onto one if it'll be my last). Every trip is a new set of characters, dilemas, comedy & drama. I've seen a driver brush his teeth while driving... LOL

I'll bet you could make an amazing TV show or even movie that takes place entirely in a guagua.

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
I originally posted the video as I was hoping to get a debate going regarding its message and how this relates to current problems and political scandals in the DR. The part that most interests me is with the people who gleefully watch through 3D glasses the reality of their country on a cinema screen. I think Juan Luis Guerra has made a very perceptive and intelligent video that is a great critique on issues his country is facing today. Any thoughts?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I originally posted the video as I was hoping to get a debate going regarding its message and how this relates to current problems and political scandals in the DR. The part that most interests me is with the people who gleefully watch through 3D glasses the reality of their country on a cinema screen. I think Juan Luis Guerra has made a very perceptive and intelligent video that is a great critique on issues his country is facing today. Any thoughts?

I think most of us got it who saw the video. However, complaining about the political situation is a national pastime here as one can find a whole host of tv shows and webpages doing same so this is just another manefestation. Will it provoke real change? I don't think so. We just need more of the voters of the country to put their personal wants and needs aside and vote for the future of the country. That will take time as the youth of this country are our real hope.

Reactions: Bronxboy

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
In the media

I found some interesting reviews and discussion generated by this song.

Dominican Republic

La guagua va en reversa | Eli Heiliger
Vargas dice "que la guagua va en reversa" y el PLD no resuelve nada - Hoy Digital

Chile

lanacion.cl: La guagua en reversa

Youtube (Check out this use of the song in Puerto Rico)

YouTube - Fortu?o en reversa!

Throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, there have always been an interesting and powerful use of song in criticizing the political situation and personalities. Sometimes so directly and openly when there?s democracy with some merengues and calypso and other genre and sometimes through use of metaphor under totalitarian governments.

I really like this CD, there?s a nice mix on it and the Spanish is more accessible for me.

Last edited:

tocnaza

Jan 3, 2019
nice song. Bachata in Fukuoka and La LLave de mi Corazon are still my favorites at the moment. Thanks you!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
There we go!!!

[video=youtube_share;UbZSLXkwurg]https://youtu.be/UbZSLXkwurg[/video]

Nice!

JJ