New Laptop without the Demon VISTA

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MOST, not ALL DELLS can be purchased with Windows Vista, I know how terrible Vista is, so I see where this is going.

You are right, I am wrong.
Had I done a bit more homework before buying mine, I would have checked to see if it was XP comaptible.
I bet that most machines still are.
No doubt, I bought the latest model with the latest hardware, and that's why I can't switch.
While I had it in XP, man, did it ever fly, with a dual core 3,800 plus processor, 2 gigs of ram and a 7,200 rpm hard drive.
Now I'm back with Vista, and after all the alterations and clean up, it's decent, but not what you would call "scary fast".

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try it with 4G of RAM, Vista is a memory hog.
Memory is quite inexpensive these days.

I have my machines built for me, and have not bought a DELL in 5 years.
Do you have an idea of how much 2 gigs of ram might cost?
It's an AMD processor.

Anyhow, I was thinking that if I'm going to spend any money on it, it would be to buy a scuzzy drive.
I can't believe what a difference they make.
We had one here with a 10,000 rpm, and it was faster than the other puters on the floor, and it only had 128 ram.
Imagine what a 15,000 rpm unit would be like.
They are pretty costly, like 300 bux plus, but I have seen refurbished unbits for less than $100.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I gotta run now and make a few Pesos, use Crucial website and punch in your model of puter and they will tell you the model/cost of RAM. ( I have an IT pal, that does all this for me)

Remember some memory has to be purchased in equal pairs, they 'splain it.

tambo'

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wowee.
What a deal.
It took a while for that puter scanner to work, but well worth it.
Tambo.
When are you coming down to bring me my 2 gigs of ram?

d600x301.jpg

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Be careful to not be over joyous... laptops usually have only two (2) memory place holders I is likely that you have two memories of 1Gb each installed and thus will have to remove them both and replace with two costlier 2Gb bars. Now THAT will be quite a bit more expensive, since you'd not only replace ALL your memory but also with the more expensive (USD per Gig) 2Gig bars.
You also have to look for lap top memory and specifically WHICH type and cradle type. But one you got that figgerd you can buy generic. There are some specialized on-line sources which specialize in selling memory only.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
DELL laptops sold with XP are not "old" models but configured differently and with some other (brand, model) components. The success of companies like DELL, earlier on also Gateway and Micron was that for each configuration the would re-configure the whole machine in order no to create conflicts (which was a typical issue with with earlier machines and Windows, especially on some "generic" or carelessly mass produced machines).

... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Be careful to not be over joyous... laptops usually have only two (2) memory place holders I is likely that you have two memories of 1Gb each installed and thus will have to remove them both and replace with two costlier 2Gb bars. Now THAT will be quite a bit more expensive, since you'd not only replace ALL your memory but also with the more expensive (USD per Gig) 2Gig bars.
You also have to look for lap top memory and specifically WHICH type and cradle type. But one you got that figgerd you can buy generic. There are some specialized on-line sources which specialize in selling memory only.

... J-D.
My puter's a desktop model and has 4 slots, as shown in that test.
I do know what you mean though.
I've been caught in that trap before.
Live and learn.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
My puter's a desktop model and has 4 slots, as shown in that test.
I do know what you mean though.
I've been caught in that trap before.
Live and learn.

That's a grrrrreat machine then! So hurry and go get yetr 3rd and 4th Gigs!

Yes, I saw the graph but I wasn't sure if it was indeed representative of your machine. I thought you were talking about your vista lap top.

... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Talking about demons, check out the circled time for a file I was copying.
Vista sure can do some weird things.

j-1.jpg

PS: It actually took less than 10 minutes.
PPS: 42,641 days is over 116 years. ;)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Wow! I didn't think I'd start that much of a thread. Three pages already!

Still trucking with XP.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Talking about demons, check out the circled time for a file I was copying.
Vista sure can do some weird things.

j-1.jpg

PS: It actually took less than 10 minutes.
PPS: 42,641 days is over 116 years. ;)

That's certainly one you should send to MSFT.
See, Vista is good for something afterall. XP is noway near that powerfull to complete 116 years of work in just 10 minutes. I don't know what you're all complaining about. :D

... J-D