New member from Tennessee

KM2015

Jun 15, 2015
Advice? Be careful. Don't get into a relationship with a resort worker (I'm sure you've read enough to know how that turns out 99.999% of the time.) Don't bring or wear expensive or flashy jewelry or designer clothes off the resort. Or on the resort for that matter. Hide your valuables or leave them at home - even hotel safes are not always "safe." Don't drink the water out of the bathroom faucets. Bring immodium and pepto bismol...not because the water or people are dirty, but because there are relatively benign microbes here that tourists just aren't used to and can react badly to. Nothing worse than spending half your vacation in the bathroom. Bring about $100 in $1 bills for tips. Even at All-Inclusives it is still welcome and appreciated to tip good servers/bartenders/housekeepers and even entertainment staff. Though try to keep the tipping to the $ variety and don't fall for the smooth talking. If you are a single female over 30 you will be a target for some of the opportunists. Keep your eyes open and take the flattery with a grain of salt. Ask the taxi fare BEFORE you get into the cab. Learn at least basic Spanish or download a translator app on your phone. Call your bank and your cell phone company before you come in country and let them know you are travelling - you don't want to get stuck with a $973 phone bill for texting when you get back home. Don't pay with credit/debit cards anywhere but seriously reputable stores and hotels. DO bring major sunblock if you are pale - you will burn in about 15 minutes without it. If you are diabetic stock up on insulin - the drinks are heavily sugared. Uhm...the list goes on. I would not go out at night solo off the resort..in a group, sure, no big deal, but a single tourista is a target. If you do hook up with a resort worker they will want to take you off...you can do it, but be careful and don't leave a tab open at the bar unless you want to pay for the entire house's drinks.

Bosslady616

Apr 5, 2015
Lady, you claim to be from Tennessee, and not know what a moonshiner is???

Look I live in the city and when you see a moonshiner it is in the mountain or some rural area far from the city. I am not a person that live in the country in the middle of no where. So as far as a moonshiner I wasn't thinking about what it was until later.

Bosslady616

Apr 5, 2015
Advice? Be careful. Don't get into a relationship with a resort worker (I'm sure you've read enough to know how that turns out 99.999% of the time.) Don't bring or wear expensive or flashy jewelry or designer clothes off the resort. Or on the resort for that matter. Hide your valuables or leave them at home - even hotel safes are not always "safe." Don't drink the water out of the bathroom faucets. Bring immodium and pepto bismol...not because the water or people are dirty, but because there are relatively benign microbes here that tourists just aren't used to and can react badly to. Nothing worse than spending half your vacation in the bathroom. Bring about $100 in $1 bills for tips. Even at All-Inclusives it is still welcome and appreciated to tip good servers/bartenders/housekeepers and even entertainment staff. Though try to keep the tipping to the $ variety and don't fall for the smooth talking. If you are a single female over 30 you will be a target for some of the opportunists. Keep your eyes open and take the flattery with a grain of salt. Ask the taxi fare BEFORE you get into the cab. Learn at least basic Spanish or download a translator app on your phone. Call your bank and your cell phone company before you come in country and let them know you are travelling - you don't want to get stuck with a $973 phone bill for texting when you get back home. Don't pay with credit/debit cards anywhere but seriously reputable stores and hotels. DO bring major sunblock if you are pale - you will burn in about 15 minutes without it. If you are diabetic stock up on insulin - the drinks are heavily sugared. Uhm...the list goes on. I would not go out at night solo off the resort..in a group, sure, no big deal, but a single tourista is a target. If you do hook up with a resort worker they will want to take you off...you can do it, but be careful and don't leave a tab open at the bar unless you want to pay for the entire house's drinks.

I have been there and back now. I ran into a few sankies and they are so aggressive. I had to tell them to get away from me. The drinks are heavily sugared. (I wish I had seen this post before I left.) I really didn't use any sunblock because I have a natural tan. I just got darker. Other than that I knew a lot of the information you stated from reading other forums.