new to dr and sosua

travelbear

May 8, 2012
Hey Sunshinedon

Good for you in buying a house in the Sosua area in December 2011 and returned to upgrade the furnishings in May 2012. Papaterra is a great place to negotiate a bargain and delivery is very quick, same day if needed. Also many good stores in Puerto Plata. My wife and I look forward to being back in the DR late August and love it there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gary/SunnyDon

These guys don't hate RD, they just hate it when you seem like you're not heeding their sage advice.

We are all different - some guys slide into a bar/restaurant easily and get seated quickly, others wait the prescribed time at the bar waiting for table to "open up".
Why is that ?? I dunno - personalities are personalities.

Some people get served before others - never figured why.

Some look for trouble - others don't.

Half full/ half empty.... who cares??
Whats in the that glass is my question? empty or full, I don't care - just give me some of it:p

We are all entitled to our opinion.... the world is still round.
Live and let live.

Here endeth this Sunday's lesson..... Friar WW

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bienvenidos!

Gary F and sunshinedon, you are most welcome!
The country and we need you(r money).
[You know, so many (stupid) expats want to sell their property and get out.]

Please buy (from us)!
Do not listen to CC and me and a few others who have it all wrong, they have been here too long. :bunny:

PICHARDO (all capital letters = Dominican), Chip and Nals know this country best; only read their posts.
Moneywise listen to yapask1, always on the money. :laugh:

All is good.

donP

Last edited:

Gary F

Jul 1, 2012
Don,

I really hope your not trying to be an ass. I don't even really know any of the people you speak of to place judgement against anyone, or like I said I wouldn't want to offend anyone either. But I can tell you this, I am pretty sharp. I was just making an observation of a few things I have read on trying to find out info on a place I love to visit, without any regards of who posted them. I don't believe in discussing religion and or politics in public or in a forum setting but I can tell ya if I wasn't a businessman and just a dumb tourist it seems the general consensus is that people should stay away from the DR. But I know here we need tourism, investment, etc. For small business to continue to thrive and survive. My point was it is not as rosy in the US as people want to believe, but we still want people to come and if I am asked info I will give my unbiased opinion of the good bad and the ugly. A person has to definitely sort through the posts to decipher which ones are genuine information. I definitely can't nor would I pick sides to a forum issue but I have received some helpful info from a few of the members whom has helped us make decisions on where to stay, modes of transport, and basic ways of the DR in which I am greatful, but I will form my own opinion of things as time progresses and more frequent trips to the DR become available.

Gary F

Jul 1, 2012
William,

My post had nothing to do with any specific individual like I said don't ant to offend anyone. I was just letting sunshinedon ( whoever he is) that I was happy for him. As for advice I have taken it in when I have asked for it when I am asked advice on a certain topic I will give honest advice that will include all info good or bad and it is up to that individual to take it to heart or not. And my synopsis of all this is that I want people to come to us and visit Disney in Florida but they also need to remember you go to Atlanta at night in certain areas at night you could come up missing. They make there own decision from there. I Refuse to get involved nor take sides between CC and Pichardo, of whom which I know neither one, or would pass judgement on either. But on a good note I do enjoy reading the post of all people whom are so passionate of what they believe is right.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Gary,and "Others" mistake that pointing out the DR's "Warts" doesn't mean we "Hate" the place.
Quite to the contrary!
We love the place.I have lived,worked,bought a home here,and am raising 4 kids here, for more than 17 years.
We just see what IS,and know what could be.
The other thing is,DR1 is "supposed" to be all about the DR,NOT about trying to make those realities seem less important by comparing them with similar problems,"Everywhere Else".
There is a "TON" of valuable, valid,helpfull, info here on DR1 about living here,moving here,and surviving here.
There is about 10 pounds of useless,incorrect,and sometimes even dangerous, info as well!
Your job is to separate the "Wheat From The Chaff".
Sometimes people who first visit here see only the "Good Stuff".
I did,but that was over 27 years ago!
Most of us only want you to think about actually living here,and dealing with the daily realities,such as,if you need a policeman,who ya gonna call?
Same with a fireman.
How long can you live without electricity,or water?
Got a legal problem,go to court,The place where the "Most Money" always wins!
Get in a car accident,what should you do?? Who should you call for help?
Know what the "Casa de Conductor" can do to help you?
Who is going to help you?
Need the "services" of a university "Beeper Chica"?
That's the only easy one to answer,Call CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!
CC

Last edited:

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
You go sunshine. I am new to the DR myself we have been once and going back in Oct. I love to read the posts of all people and very rarely respond to any. But what I don't understand is it seems some people absolutely hate it for one reason or the other, but that's not different than being here at home in the US. I am a plumbing contractor and have traveled all over the central and southern states and it can get as bad here as you want it to get. EX. I noticed some look down on Sosua for its partying, prostitution, and night life. Evidently some hasn't been to Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans etc. There are places in our metopolitan cities that will steal the tires off your car with it moving, and or shoot you because of your shoes. Heck look at what just happened in Colorado . I believe the element of danger exists on any given day in certain areas and certain cituations. Common sense is the way to go in any setting and I would say in any country. We own some rental property here at home and buying can be complicated , if the property titles are messed up or an estate is involved, etc. I would approach anything with good common normal business sense and all should be fine . I definitely don't think people should assume that the island is just beautiful and without problems, but show me some place that is. When we come back we are going to check it out some more, to see if it is want we want for a getaway place, but we won't approach it with any less mentality than we would here at home. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but the due process of buying a home, being safe in certain areas at night , eating certain foods, etc. Can be a bad experience anywhere not just the DR.

I have a business and some prop in GA. fla. no one gave it to me our area has tanked people say arent you worried about loosing your money im afraid to have it all in USA these days . I like the thought of spreading it out like Mit Romney

Gary F

Jul 1, 2012
CC,

I understand where you are coming from. In my post I was letting a guy know I was happy for him that he bought a house in the DR. When I referenced the negativity that I have been reading he last month it wasn't related to any specific individual. But as a new member some of the negativity is so bad it makes you wonder why they don't leave. As far as the comparison of places that was to bring attention to anyone that all the things so heavily complained about can be found here to. If I went by most of the posts I have read on most items that were of interest to me I wouldn't come back nor spend another dime towards the better of DR, but I am smart enough not to be so naive, that's why my wife and I are coming back in Oct. And again an analogy of if a person travels to a highly touristed country where ever it may be , you can expect some pitfalls if you don't there's something wrong, a person should know and/or expect it . What I didn't like was to be profiled of taking sides with anyone on the forum. God knows we have a lot of unrest right now in our country but it is still a hell of a good place to visit and live. I am not the type to badger and/or belittle anyone for their opinion, and I expect the same. Your opinion is respected with me and if I need help with an issue over there I won't be afraid to ask.

Gary F

Jul 1, 2012
I hear ya sunshine we have also thought of doing a couple of different financial things out of the country. I have been doing some research on depositing money in DR banks but I'm gonna get several opinions of the forum members before I make a decision on it. EX. Interest rates

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Moving to the DR is like touching a RED HOT stove.
People can tell you what it feels like,but until you touch it yourself you think,"It can't really be as bad as they say!"
Come on DOWN",the "STOVES" here are all ready,and waiting for your touch!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
Gary/SunnyDon

These guys don't hate RD, they just hate it when you seem like you're not heeding their sage advice.

We are all different - some guys slide into a bar/restaurant easily and get seated quickly, others wait the prescribed time at the bar waiting for table to "open up".
Why is that ?? I dunno - personalities are personalities.

Some people get served before others - never figured why.

Some look for trouble - others don't.

Half full/ half empty.... who cares??
Whats in the that glass is my question? empty or full, I don't care - just give me some of it:p

We are all entitled to our opinion.... the world is still round.
Live and let live.

Here endeth this Sunday's lesson..... Friar WW

You are so right. I knew when i signed on i would proubly get trashed but I didnt care.Amazingly most people are positive.When I am positive it almost always falls into my lap.

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
I got your back SunshineDon.

I have not even moved to the island yet but I have been doing my homework reading this board for the last year or so. My background demands that I do my research and know what I am getting myself into...

I have been sitting here in Ontario Canada for the last five years on my butt just waiting for time to take it's course. I'm retired, living on my own and dependant on no one but the point is I have been sitting here complaining about the cold and winters and hating the place more and more. Last October I took my first vacation since 1984 and went to Costambar. It took me all of 24 hrs to fall in love with the people and the island in general. So I made a decision when I got back to Canada that I was moving down there. Well my luck is that when I decided this the immigration law changed the next week and I am still waiting for paperwork to apply for the darned Visa to go there BUT when it is all said and done I will be sitting in the warm Caribean sun wasting my time just like back home just that now I am warm...

I plan on making Sosua my first stop until I get properly oriented now I have heard good and bad about the town but where I come from every town has its dark side and any city in the world is dangerous if you are not aware of what it going on around you. If you don't act the part of the victim it goes a long way to keeping you from being one. USE YOUR HEAD and I am not talking about the little one, thinking with that one has only ever got me into trouble.

One of the things I like about this board is the pro and con back and forth that goes on here this truly is a democratic place to lay out your thoughts and ideas, you may get trashed for them but it is your right to lay them out.

I hope to get my residency Visa before I am too old to use it so wish me luck...

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
ha you know where I can get a hot deal on a stove.
I do appreciate your knowledge on the area and i am just trying to dig in and learn as much as i can before i hit the ground running. thanks

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I got your back SunshineDon.

I have not even moved to the island yet but I have been doing my homework reading this board for the last year or so. My background demands that I do my research and know what I am getting myself into...

I have been sitting here in Ontario Canada for the last five years on my butt just waiting for time to take it's course. I'm retired, living on my own and dependant on no one but the point is I have been sitting here complaining about the cold and winters and hating the place more and more. Last October I took my first vacation since 1984 and went to Costambar. It took me all of 24 hrs to fall in love with the people and the island in general. So I made a decision when I got back to Canada that I was moving down there. Well my luck is that when I decided this the immigration law changed the next week and I am still waiting for paperwork to apply for the darned Visa to go there BUT when it is all said and done I will be sitting in the warm Caribean sun wasting my time just like back home just that now I am warm...

I plan on making Sosua my first stop until I get properly oriented now I have heard good and bad about the town but where I come from every town has its dark side and any city in the world is dangerous if you are not aware of what it going on around you. If you don't act the part of the victim it goes a long way to keeping you from being one. USE YOUR HEAD and I am not talking about the little one, thinking with that one has only ever got me into trouble.

One of the things I like about this board is the pro and con back and forth that goes on here this truly is a democratic place to lay out your thoughts and ideas, you may get trashed for them but it is your right to lay them out.

I hope to get my residency Visa before I am too old to use it so wish me luck...

Dont be to scared I use to love the snow now its just punishment.I have taken the plunge more than once it always works out. Be cautious but dont be scared I got your back .look forward to having you as a neighbor

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Merlyn",why wait????
Come on down,NOW!
The DR proposes,and many times passes,new laws,regulations,and more.
Usually it doesn't mean "MIERDA"!
Life goes on as always.
Meaning no one pays any attention, even the government!
They make a lot more money on "Fines" for breaking those "So Called" new "Regs",than they could by enforcing them!
If you stayed at "Black Beards" in Costambar, I KNOW why you "Fell In Love" with the DR!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Merlyn",why wait????
Come on down,NOW!
Life goes on as always.
They make a lot more money on "Fines" for breaking those "So Called" new "Regs",than they could by enforcing them!
If you stayed at "Black Beards" in Costambar, I KNOW why you "Fell In Love" with the DR!!!!!!

AAHHHHHH!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I just love your soft side

The Ambassador - you can "Meet and Greet" at the airport:p

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
"Merlyn",why wait????
Come on down,NOW!
Life goes on as always.

LOL you caught me CC LOL

It was Blackbeards that I stayed at but I did not know what it was when I booked it (honestly). Having now stayed there I am glad that my introduction to the island life was in such a dramatic way for I met some very nice people there and learned a lot from the regulars about how life is there. I wanted the non-standard "all inclusive be darned" trip and I got to see the real side of island life not just the tourista side. Being able to just walk the quiet streets of Costambar taking in the sounds and smells was just what I needed to give me the desire to move there.

I just received my letter of guarantee from the lawyer in Sosua so next week I will be making the trip to the embassy in Ottawa to make my application for the visa.

Thanks for the advice Criss but I think I'll try it the new way and see what happens it can only be another cluster F*** but I'll be there legal like and we will let the winds blow as they may.

Hope to buy you guys a beer before the end of August...

Chris

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I KNEW I "Smelled a Fellow "PIRATA"!!!!!!!
I have been to "Black Beards" many,many times over the years.
Many on DR1,condem the place,they site all the public poolside "Orgies",naked men and girls wandering around, "Disease","contamination",drunkenness,filth there!
Only trouble is,"They Ain't Never Set Foot Inside Black Beards!!!!"
If they had,they would know,
THOSE THINGS,are restricted to MY ROOM only!
See Ya There???????
Just NOT in MY ROOM!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
I KNEW I "Smelled a Fellow "PIRATA"!!!!!!!
I have been to "Black Beards" many,many times over the years.
Many on DR1,condem the place,they site all the public poolside "Orgies",naked men and girls wandering around, "Disease","contamination",drunkenness,filth there!
Only trouble is,"They Ain't Never Set Foot Inside Black Beards!!!!"
If they had,they would know,
THOSE THINGS,are restricted to MY ROOM only!
See Ya There???????
Just NOT in MY ROOM!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sorry CC that was the chili and beer I had.......... maybe a pirate in training.

There are places like BB's all over the world and if they were all run the same way people would have a different opinion of them. Personally I was impressed with their professionalism and dedication to everyone's safety and enjoyment. The girls are govern'd by a strict set of rules and so are the guests making for a pleasant relaxed atmosphere and with a diligent staff the place runs amazing well I thought.

I know you won't believe me but I really did not know what BB's was until I got there. I booked the room because of price and the fact that it was off the regular tourist route. Having now stayed there I would go back any time based on the staff and general amenities that all regular hotels would have. If it had been ("Orgies",naked men and girls wandering around, "Disease","contamination",drunkenness,filth) I would not have stayed one night in the place, I am too old for that kind of stuff LOL.

It is the people and the laid back way of life that attracts me to this beautiful island.

Chris

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I KNEW I liked the way you "ROLL"!
You are sure to be a welcome new member here,at least to those of us who know "Truth" when we see it,and "Bull$hit" when we step in it!!!!
Again,..."Welcome to DR1,and the DR!!!
See you at "Black Beards"?
If only to watch their World Famous..."Bikini Weeked Show????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC