New Yankee Manager?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sosa in pinstripes????

I don't think the Yankees are going in house. Georgie ain't ready for rebuilding yet. Look for them to go with a big name manager and get some productive bats, not necessarily big ball hitters but small ball players that can get on the damn base when they need to. Look for them to unload Arod and get somebody who won't have to conflict with Jeter. aslo, pitching needs help and they need a "youth" injection for sure. I forsee another winter of big spending - maybe even picking up Sosa. Hopefully, this will spur a lot of Doms to play here in the DR to pique the Yankees interest in them - go Aguiluchos.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Since I started this thread, I'll throw something else in there - I've just gotta tell you (MQ and Cleef) how much I dislike the term MFY's.

Steve, I have got to agree with you on this one. Even though I have used the term MF frequently in my youthfull times, I'll never be ready for it to be as acceptable even as shyt - it is just too ghetto. I sometimes see youths dropping te F bomb like it was crap or something in front of the general public and even though I was in the 82nd, where it is used as a general adjective, it was rarely used the way a lot of the youths are trying to use it. One thing is for sure, any young professional coming out of college learn real quick that they aint't going anywhere quick talking like that.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Oh please Chip and Steve.

Since I started this thread, I'll throw something else in there - I've just gotta tell you (MQ and Cleef) how much I dislike the term MFY's.

Get over yourselves!

Steve, you're a pinstriper, I'm Red Sox nation. You we're on the wonderful end of Bucky F'n Dent in 78, and Aaron F'n Boone in 03 (two very painful memories for my generation - and many others).

I'd like to think such an acronym - perhaps not a compliment per say - would serve as notice of your team's superiority over mine. I'd be thrilled with it if I was part of the Evil Empire.

The name is derived from the history of the MFY's kicking MyF'nSox arse. Now the boot is in the Yankees arse and I'm LUUUUUUUUUVING it.

Say what you will about Red Sox fans (and I'd probably agree with it all), but at least they've got a thick skin. My recent experiences (since the biggest collapse in sports history in 04 by your MFY's) with Yanks fans is that they are oh-so sensitive and very angry. AMFYF (Angry MFY Fans).

Your team hasn't been built for the postseason in 7 years, hence they can't beat anyone else's #1 and 2 starters. Sure, they'll win a lot of regular season games beating up on #3's, 4's and 5's, but they can't get by in a 5-game series without a #1 (Wang is 1A until he shows some guile).

I have no sympathy for any AMFYF.
What comes around goes around.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Since I started this thread,

Here's hoping your next post does NOT start with this.....we know already!!!!:eek:gre::eek:gre:

Back on topic. Steinbrenner will pick someone that will be molded to his image. He will avoid someone who's independent and confrontational a la Pinella. Lets not forget he is not just an owner but thinks of himself as an emperor.

Sep 19, 2005
Get over yourselves!

Steve, you're a pinstriper, I'm Red Sox nation. You we're on the wonderful end of Bucky F'n Dent in 78, and Aaron F'n Boone in 03 (two very painful memories for my generation - and many others).

I'd like to think such an acronym - perhaps not a compliment per say - would serve as notice of your team's superiority over mine. I'd be thrilled with it if I was part of the Evil Empire.

The name is derived from the history of the MFY's kicking MyF'nSox arse. Now the boot is in the Yankees arse and I'm LUUUUUUUUUVING it.

Say what you will about Red Sox fans (and I'd probably agree with it all), but at least they've got a thick skin. My recent experiences (since the biggest collapse in sports history in 04 by your MFY's) with Yanks fans is that they are oh-so sensitive and very angry. AMFYF (Angry MFY Fans).

Your team hasn't been built for the postseason in 7 years, hence they can't beat anyone else's #1 and 2 starters. Sure, they'll win a lot of regular season games beating up on #3's, 4's and 5's, but they can't get by in a 5-game series without a #1 (Wang is 1A until he shows some guile).

I have no sympathy for any AMFYF.
What comes around goes around.

decent post...... soooo

GET WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD.....because it is a rare treat for you to be in your position....dont think that the last few years makes your team a classic powerhouse all of the sudden.....you cant even cover half the fingers on one hand with world series rings!!!!!!!

bob

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
So True Bob!

decent post...... soooo

GET WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD.....because it is a rare treat for you to be in your position....dont think that the last few years makes your team a classic powerhouse all of the sudden.....you cant even cover half the fingers on one hand with world series rings!!!!!!!

bob
With free agency, the money involved, and all the player movement, the definition of "powerhouse" may have changed just a bit. But whatever, perhaps it's just semantics, but it's tough to imagine a Big Red Machine or those crushing MFY teams of the 90s in today's market.

And yes, I'm getting while it's good! It's a sweet time to be a New England sports fan. Even the Celtics are relevant now!

Who knew!

Cliff - thanks for the advice, buddy, but unless my wife tells me to get over myself, I'll pass. Also, I realize that you're the moderator here, but I was taken to task the other day by DAKRA, who said I was criticizing the fans who post here. Seems to me that's exactly what you're doing.

A.Hidalgo - sorry! When/if I start a new thread, I'll be more careful.

Go figure - threads here about the plight of the less fortunate Dominicans and programs that assist them often go unnoticed, but post something about the Yankees and Red Sox and everyone has something to say.

Here's a thought - let's put the Yankees and Red Sox on the shelf for now and at least go back to what this thread is supposed to be about - Dominican Baseball.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I was taken to task the other day by DAKRA, who said I was criticizing the fans who post here. Seems to me that's exactly what you're doing.
I thought it less criticism and more clarification. What's in a name anyway?

A.Hidalgo - sorry! When/if I start a new thread, I'll be more careful.

Go figure - threads here about the plight of the less fortunate Dominicans and programs that assist them often go unnoticed, but post something about the Yankees and Red Sox and everyone has something to say.
That's rather short in my opinion. You've made in-roads through this board for your noble endeavors. A lot of good things like equipment donations, game tickets, schedules, player identification and hearty debate have gone very noticed.

Here's a thought - let's put the Yankees and Red Sox on the shelf for now and at least go back to what this thread is supposed to be about - Dominican Baseball.
The thread is clearly titled (by you) as "New Yankee Manager". Sow the seeds and you're left to pick the fruit - and some weeds.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Steve...you're a little too sensitive...First, we're not criticizing the fans when we say MFY's...we're only talking about the team...although most of the fans deserve that and much more...

Second, as Cleef beat me to it, YOU posted (and let us know about it repeteadly) NEW YANKEE MANAGER...that is NOT exactly talking Dominican Baseball...and of course people are gonna talk about this subject more than others...that's just a way of life...

Take it easy, we might not be all friends here...but you have to learn to take it...even I LEARNED...and things were not that pretty for me here for a long while!!! ;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Nobody gets it worse!

Take it easy, we might not be all friends here...but you have to learn to take it...even I LEARNED...and things were not that pretty for me here for a long while!!! ;)

It's obvious to me the people that malign you, haven't met you. I've had the pleasure and hear you loud and clear.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Final Clarification!

:pirate: I thought it best that I claify my points from the other day...

I am NOT a/the moderator..... - But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.... ;)

The better team for 2007 Regular Season Won the AL East.... The better team for the 2007 ALDS won.... and YES, the BEST team for the 2007 ALCS will win the American League (I am counting on the Sox to do it!)

So - Yes, the Yanks played well, but they were not the best team for the 2007 AL East, that was the Sox .... but the Yanks had a heck of a year...

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Joe Torre appears closer to remaining manager of the MFYs. Great thing. Choices aren't very good.

If Giraldi is/was chosen, Posada, Riviera, and Pettite are gone. He did a great job on Florida last year, but clashed with both management and a couple of players. That won't work in NY.

If Mattingly is/was chosen, not sure if he has the chops yet to assume the role without any previous managerial experience. Sentimental pick, but would assure the team of an uncertain 2008.

Lou Piniella is only out there as a name. Seriously doubt he'd be considered.

Tony LaRussa was a great coach in Oakland and St. Louis. Those markets fit him and his style. The NY media would eat him alive. No can do.

I'll go out on a limb and say what I think should happen prior to the 2008 season.

- Let A-Rod go. Too much of a soap opera, with nothing to show for it. Except 2 AL MVP awards. Who cares? We only care about World Series wins. Everything else is a failure. F--- Boras and him, IF he decides to opt out. I could care less if he even winds up in Boston.

- Sign Mike Lowell 11 days after the World Series to shore up 3rd base for the next 3 yrs.

- Re-sign Posada, Riviera, Vizcaino

- Pick up the option on Andy Pettitte; veteran leadership needed for one more year

- Sign Bobby Abreu to a 2 yr deal, plus option; if unable, take a shot at Torii Hunter instead; goal would be to kill time until Jose Tabata is ready

- Trade Kei Igawa (will prosper elsewhere in smaller market), Ian Kennedy, Shelley Duncan, and Alberto Gonzales (top SS) to the Twins for Johan Santana; sign Santana to a 5 yr, $100 million contract

- Get rid of Giambi and Farnsworth, PLEASE!!!

- Allow Clemens to "retire".....again.

2008 Rotation would be Santana, Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes

2008 Bullpen: Riviera, Chamberlain, Vizcaino, Bruney, Villone, Humberto Sanchez/Chase Wright

2008 Lineup: Damon (DH), Jeter (SS), Abreu/Hunter (RF), Matsui (LF), Lowell (3B), Posada (C), Mientkiewicz (1B), Cano (2B), Cabrera (CF).

2008 Bench: Betemit (IF-OF), Molina (C), Giambi (if not waived - DH), Brett Gardner (OF)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I doubt Boston is going to give up on Lowell. I think he will be playing in Boston next year. I also think that A-Rod will be playing shortstop in Boston. Manny will roaming the outfield at Shea Stadium next year.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Wow, did you hit your head?

I agreed with almost everything you said.
If Giraldi is/was chosen, Posada, Riviera, and Pettite are gone. He did a great job on Florida last year, but clashed with both management and a couple of players. That won't work in NY.
You don't think Girardi has learned his lesson? I think he'd know better than to try and pull stunts with the highly reputable players; learn from whatever past mistakes led to his supposed reputation. I think managing the MFY's is different than most teams, of course the Marlins.

I have a hard time seeing Lowell going to NY, this isn't Johnny Damon. If MeRod goes to the Sox, I'm giving up on baseball altogether - That's an absolute promise!

I don't think the pot for Santana is sweet enough, but I take it you follow their minors closely. They really have to get Santana.

Good post.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If MeRod goes to the Sox, I'm giving up on baseball altogether - That's an absolute promise!

Good post.

Let me see, the new "Murder's Row" Papi batting third, then Arod and then Manny, err or maybe Manny then Arod.... good food for thought.

I still think he is going to the Cubbies though!