Newbie in USA- Fulfilled RFM from Dominican woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I've never seen a funeral program in DR, what exactly is that? My mother-in-law died about 9 pm on a Friday, viewing was at 8 a.m. Saturday, burial at 3 p.m. same day, not much time for a program. On the 9th day, held at our house, the family gave out laminated cards with her photo, dates, prayer, etc. Is that what you mean?

Take heed brim, if she does not follow up on the misas (memorials services) for like two weeks, then he did not die or had been dead for some time.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Hi,
I found DR1 website through an internet search so I'm a newbie.
Here's my story - so far;

Here in the USA, I met a separated Dominican lady several months ago. She was quite charming and coy.
I am 57 yr old divorced man raising my son (from ex-Chinese wife/mother - my involvement with someone not from USA) and she seemed very family oriented which was a plus for me. I'm looking for the long term.

The relationships has been like a yoyo.
End of July she told me her father had died, she needed to go to DR to attend & pay for funeral.
And she needed money.
I wired Western Union and she picked it up in DR.
She gave me a phone number to call but I only talked to her once while she was there in DR (to verify that she received the money).
She was gone for two weeks with no other communications between us during that time.

Being a good person myself, I thought I would send flowers to show my respect for her father.
After search the internet, I found a person (speaking English - my Spanish is almost nada) to try to send flowers. The discussion turned to him asking if I had given money to the woman. I said yes (thinking this is a strange question). He said something about dumb gringo!
I had no luck sending flowers since I didn't have enough information to do anything!

After she returned, we had some tense discussions and lots of unanswered questions of mine.
I have broken off since things seem not right to me.

I also started reading this forum recently and wished I had been here before now!

My Question:
Was I scammed?

Brim83
Yes. You got played.

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
Take heed brim, if she does not follow up on the misas (memorials services) for like two weeks, then he did not die or had been dead for some time.

She was gone for two weeks. I asked questions regarding funeral and got a "non of your business" response and don't you "trust me". I asked for more information regarding her father and was rebuffed totally with much anger.
I recently buried my parents within the year and the Dominicana's response just doesn't seem right to me for someone who's parent passed away.
I could be wrong but my gut feeling doesn't like it!
Brim83

brim83

Aug 5, 2014

I initially wanted to track down information regarding her father's funeral, but after her response, I decided instead to back away from her. If there is a future between us then I would want to know for sure.
I know from an earlier conversation that she didn't get along with her father much.
Brim83

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
Exactly, you be able to confirm if she was just playing you. Just because she wants to take care of her family in the DR does not mean that she is scamming you. That is the culture, besides me, that will take care of their extended family no matter how crappy they are.

I will wait to see what her response is since I've backed away.
I believe that maybe the relationship had run it's course anyway.
Thanks,
Brim83

Apr 13, 2011
It may not have been a scam, but her reactions to your questions and her not being available at all after you confirmed she received the transaction info is very telling sign of how she would be in the relationship.
As others mentioned, she is the relative living in the US, so she is seen as having money, even if she does not. And because of cultural closeness with family, she will want to do and pay for as much as she can.
But - the way she reacted after was not good, even if it was not a scam. Even if the funeral was out in the campo area with bad phone reception, she still would have been able to talk with you more than once while away.
And that her first reaction to your questions was "you do not trust me" was more a sign of her own existing issues with trust.
Basically, even if it was not a scam, it does not seem like it was developing a good foundation for a relationship...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Funny,
I've been on guard with all women in that regard since my divorce (don't get my started on that!).
Just my good nature to want to help within reason and with someone who I thought I would want a future with.
I guess when I tried to get involved with the funeral directly that things unraveled.

Brim83

May I ask how much you sent her. Just curious what a funeral would cost, real or not. Did she have a return ticket when she left?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I will leave open for a while. OP, she definitely sounds like a gold digger.

Love your attitude. :)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
What ever he sent her , it is way cheaper than getting married. I am sure he got his monies worth.
Lets say he broke off a big piece and gave her $2000 U.S, having known her for a "couple of months" he is still way ahead of the game.
I like the part about her being "coy". A word I would not use to describe many Dominican chicas

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Btw, feyboo is an excellent tool. Lots of doms don't have privacy settings maxed. A red flag in itself. Scroll through friends oh hers pages. Surely there are relatives who would have posted something. Hopefully it won't be a selfie with an open casket.

Aug 6, 2006
French women are coy, generally by nature. English women can be coy, but need to work at it.
I cannot recall any Dominicana I could call "coy". Like German comedians, Coy Dominicanas are as rare as hen's teeth and seldom seen..

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
It may not have been a scam, but her reactions to your questions and her not being available at all after you confirmed she received the transaction info is very telling sign of how she would be in the relationship.
As others mentioned, she is the relative living in the US, so she is seen as having money, even if she does not. And because of cultural closeness with family, she will want to do and pay for as much as she can.
But - the way she reacted after was not good, even if it was not a scam. Even if the funeral was out in the campo area with bad phone reception, she still would have been able to talk with you more than once while away.
And that her first reaction to your questions was "you do not trust me" was more a sign of her own existing issues with trust.
Basically, even if it was not a scam, it does not seem like it was developing a good foundation for a relationship...

My thoughts exactly! I have trust issues now that I didn't have before.
Either there was a funeral and things were crappy or...

Brim83

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
May I ask how much you sent her. Just curious what a funeral would cost, real or not. Did she have a return ticket when she left?

I don't know what the cost was and have no idea on return tickets. She avoided the discussion several times.
I really felt like a mushroom if you know what I mean.
Thus I am backing off.
Brim83

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
What ever he sent her , it is way cheaper than getting married. I am sure he got his monies worth.
Lets say he broke off a big piece and gave her $2000 U.S, having known her for a "couple of months" he is still way ahead of the game.
I like the part about her being "coy". A word I would not use to describe many Dominican chicas

Insightful.
Thanks.
Well, now that I've been bit, I'll be more cautious in the future.
Brim83

brim83

Aug 5, 2014
French women are coy, generally by nature. English women can be coy, but need to work at it.
I cannot recall any Dominicana I could call "coy". Like German comedians, Coy Dominicanas are as rare as hen's teeth and seldom seen..

Not that I've been a French or English woman.
Brim83

Aug 6, 2006
Not that I've been a French or English woman.
Brim83
Nor have I, but I know their ways.

I have found that one cannot make such declarations about American women, since they tend to vary a lot.

Mexican women are sneaky: when you ask them what they did with the money, you get a Cantinflesco dialogue that is magnificent to behold, but incomprehensible to any logical mind. Dominicans are not so capable of effective sneakiness, and just get angry. Grrr! don't you believe me!

Status
Not open for further replies.