Newspaper publication if Divorcio por Mutuo Consentimiento?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The wife is supposed to be notified and has two months to contest it but, if you can't locate her, I think you do have to place an add(?). Not sure for how long though.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks Cavok for your reply.
This divorce is with mutual consent so she signed and received also the sentencia.
Were you told that she has 60 days to contest the divorce and what date does that start from - the date the sentencia was issued?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
What happens if the spouse obtains a divorce in the DR but the other spouse lives in the USA? The spouse in the USA was never given any papers to sign and neither of the spouses signed any agreement for a mutual consent divorce. I know someone who is going through this situation right now. The court where the spouse lives in the USA will not accept the divorce from the DR because they say that it is not legal. There was no agreement between the spouses for any divorce.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They do have a special type of divorce here when the other spouse can't be located or is not in the country. Whether or not it is accepted in the US is another story.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
They do have a special type of divorce here when the other spouse can't be located or is not in the country. Whether or not it is accepted in the US is another story.
The spouse in the USA never even knew about the DR divorce. But the spouse in the DR knew exactly where the other spouse was as they used the same address in the USA. Actually, neither of them were in the DR when the divorce was granted. Really shady situation for the spouse in the USA. It is rather interesting that the same judge who married them signed off on the divorce. The judge was a "family friend". The spouse in the USA only found out about the divorce about 5-6 months after the fact. But the court in the USA won't recognize the DR divorce because they said there is a specific process that needs to be followed in order for the divorce to be legal in the USA. I have no idea about this as I have never heard of something like this.

Reactions: JD Jones

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Unless the divorce is by mutual consent, in which case both spouses (or their representatives with a proper power-of-attorney) sign the required documents to petition the judge to dissolve the marriage, a divorce obtained without giving proper notice is invalid.

Reactions: keepcoming

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Unless the divorce is by mutual consent, in which case both spouses (or their representatives with a proper power-of-attorney) sign the required documents to petition the judge to dissolve the marriage, a divorce obtained without giving proper notice is invalid.
In a divorce by mutual consent, how long after the court issues the sentencia before the divorce is actually finalized and an acta inextencia del divorcio can be issued? I have heard there is a required waiting period of 60 days before the divorce can be finalized. Does that start from the date the sentence was issued?