Nicknames in Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The usage of nicknames is common in Spanish. This is a key aspect that you will notice right away if you study, visit a Spanish-speaking country or both or just even if you learn Spanish casually.

It is important to observe how they are used to understand how to categorize them. There are many categories for nicknames that you hear in Spanish:

1) for young girls
2) for young boys
3) among friends
4) with strangers (but friendly)
5) for women
6) for men
7) term of endearment
8) piropo

This is a quick list of categories that nicknames can come under that I just came up with as I created this post but there may be more. The internet has good info either articles, blogs, lists from textbooks etc. which means if you hear something that you may not understand you can probably find it on the web.

Think about what you hear in the DR and Spanish speakers from other countries. There are a lot of words to call someone. The key is really understanding the meaning. You need to think in Spanish and not in English.

Here are some links and a blog with nicknames in Spanish (not Dominican specific). I will look for some lists that are country specific for ex, used in Caribbean Spanish and post them.

https://cutenicknamess.com/nicknames-for-guys-in-spanish/
This list is interesting.

https://www.findnicknames.com/spanish-nicknames-for-guys/

https://www.nicknamess.com/spanish-nicknames-guys-girls/
A lot examples and variety in this blog.

-MP.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My brother in law ( Chino is his nick) calls me “El amarello “. Why? I had an old yellow Landcruiser that a Dutch friend of my always cold amarello instead of amarillo. Another family member calls me “el mister”. Nicknames are funny in the DR.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
When I'd swear I'd say "chucha madre" so people in BC started to call me Chucha and my daughter is Chuchita.
From Colon Panama to the Colombian border they call me "Moppie fui". I used to have a little dog called Moppie, world famous in Panama!!
I'd always say "Moppie foei" and foei is Dutch for when something is dirty or can't be touched.
Foei resembles "fui", "I'm gone" in Spanish so now I'm Moppie fui. ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@frank recktenwald

Interesting.

Chucha is not a good word to throw around in Panama though. I am sure you know that.

Jun 18, 2007
I guess.

Pero a cada cual lo suyo. No utilizo esa palabra en Panamá.

By looking at your signature I may assume that you're a woman, women don't really use that word unless they're from the barrio, women prefer to say "Chuleta".
Men do and have even heard several Panamanian presidents use that word in conversations I had with them and it wasn't addressed at me. ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
By looking at your signature I may assume that you're a woman, women don't really use that word unless they're from the barrio, women prefer to say "Chuleta".
Men do and have even heard several Panamanian presidents use that word in conversations I had with them and it wasn't addressed at me. ;)

Fair enough.

What other nicknames have you heard in the Spanish-speaking world that you would like to add?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
In our Barrio, mostly the girls have nicknames. My wife's nickname is La Muneca. Others include La flaca, La negra, Thu Chory, La Pena (Pineapple) because of how she wears her hair, la Barbie (yes after the doll).. There are a couple of men that go by nicknames. El Mole (he's huge and no one messes with him), and one guy they call Papi Shampoo because he's god's gift to women or so he thinks. Last ones that comes to mind is Chulito and El Chato. ( his face is flat).

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
In our Barrio, mostly the girls have nicknames. My wife's nickname is La Muneca. Others include La flaca, La negra, Thu Chory, La Pena (Pineapple) because of how she wears her hair, la Barbie (yes after the doll).. There are a couple of men that go by nicknames. El Mole (he's huge and no one messes with him), and one guy they call Papi Shampoo because he's god's gift to women or so he thinks. Last ones that comes to mind is Chulito and El Chato. ( his face is flat).

Cool! That is quite a few nicknames.

La flaca and la flaquita are common. As well, gordo, papi, mami and some have several meanings.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chombo/Chomba, Palillo, Mas Pato, Campa Perro, Juan Patsha, Juan Bobo, Mamadera, Ñato, Oreja, Patas X, Chichilo, Chichi Loco, Cuca, Ñame, Mello, Choco, Coco.

Quite a few on your list there are very regional.

Mamadera also means biberón.

Muy bien.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
En La Vega we had Tata, a kind old woman. Tito, Doña fresa, papo (he bought three chickens from the market every week for a 50 pesos tip).

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
En La Vega we had Tata, a kind old woman. Tito, Doña fresa, papo (he bought three chickens from the market every week for a 50 pesos tip).

You may know this but Tata has different meanings in Latin America. It is used to refer to an older woman as you said but Tata also means Dad in many Latin American countries so context is definitely key with this word especially with kids ¿Dónde está Tata= Where is Dad? It can even mean sister and abuelo.

-MP.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
So many, most have names that are unrelated to their birth names i.e someone would be called Charly when his birth name is Jose Luis. Others describe a physical characteristic such as canita (someone who has grey hair since young), el elevado (tall skinny guy), momore (young moreno), cabolo (not sure of the origin), etc.... Not sure I know someone's real name.

Most of the nicknames for myself describe an ample body part. :alien:

Jun 18, 2007
So many, most have names that are unrelated to their birth names i.e someone would be called Charly when his birth name is Jose Luis. Others describe a physical characteristic such as canita (someone who has grey hair since young), el elevado (tall skinny guy), momore (young moreno), cabolo (not sure of the origin), etc.... Not sure I know someone's real name.

Most of the nicknames for myself describe an ample body part. :alien:

Culona, Pechona? ;)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have a male Dominican friend with the nickname Chavi. I have no clue what it means.
His real name is Santiago.