No job, 6month relationship, 15 and talking babies

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
30 years!! EEK:surprised!

LOL! It's even scarier how fast those years will pass.

Sometimes it feels like yesterday that I first stepped foot in Santo Domingo, except it was 1975. I met my husband the following day.

AE

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I met my husband the following day.

AE

I tell you they pump love juice into the air cons in this city. I keep seeing very sexy Dominicans around, but I know better than to follow my natural senses here.:bored:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Yeh, like the obsession with mobile phones and texting.:cheeky:

I see your point, but I find the entire topic a contradiction on itself. I don't find loyalty very high on the moral standing here at all. Family or not, somehow it seems that a mergence happens. I find most don't offer the help, it is forced or people self invite.

In the end it seems very unlikely that anything is done or offered unless someone is there to gain from it. So for me, no, I don't find the connection that close. Yes interaction, but that seems forced and wierdly accepted.

I understand the people more every day here, and the more I understand the more at ease I am of the people who surround me. I am at ease as I know how to interact and what to expect.
I don't accept alot of things as being good or the right thing, but as a foreigner in their country I have to adjust myself so it doesn't affect me so much. Like keep my mouth shut about how stupid the parents are for not locking that 15 year old in a cupboard until she grows up.

I agree with Cobraboy! A year and a half ago, I was badly injured in an accident in Puerto Plata. Many people, expats and Dominicans alike, (including some who post on this board) were there to help when I needed it.

People went grocery shopping for me, a friend who owned a restaurant brought me food (even when I was hospitalized) and would not take any money, another friend who is a retired physician came to check on me at home and gave me the injections I needed, my cleaning lady (a Dominicana) came every day or every other day to help me change the dressings on my injury, help me to shower and wash my hair and prepare food for me. On Sundays, she brought me part of the food she fixed for her own family.

I tried to pay her, and she refused to take any extra money other than what I normally paid. She stayed with me all night in the hospital so that I would not be alone and offered to stay other nights so that my daughter, once she arrived, did not have to stay night and day with me. Since then, she has not "self-invited" herself to ask me for anything.

My landlord drove my daughter to and from the hospital while I was "internada." He never asked for money for gas or anything else. When it was so very hot in July, he turned on my air conditioning without charging me extra for the additional use of electricity because the heat was causing me problems with a barely healed injury.

I really wonder about the Dominicans which whom you come into contact.

Reactions: jrhartley

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I really wonder about the Dominicans which whom you come into contact.

We can't generalize in either case, the negatives or the positive experiences. It would be as stupid of me to claim all Dominicans were the same as it would be as stupid of you to claim the same by your own personal experiences.

As for me, I don't really wonder about any Dominicans which whom you or I come into contact. It takes alsorts to make the world go around and to claim one exists without the other would be foolish of anyone.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
We can't generalize in either case, the negatives or the positive experiences. It would be as stupid of me to claim all Dominicans were the same as it would be as stupid of you to claim the same by your own personal experiences.

As for me, I don't really wonder about any Dominicans which whom you or I come into contact. It takes alsorts to make the world go around and to claim one exists without the other would be foolish of anyone.

Well, then I guess you have identifed yourself as "stupid" since you posted this earlier in this thread. (Bolding mine)

I don't find loyalty very high on the moral standing here at all. Family or not, somehow it seems that a mergence happens. I find most don't offer the help, it is forced or people self invite.
In the end it seems very unlikely that anything is done or offered unless someone is there to gain from it. So for me, no, I don't find the connection that close. Yes interaction, but that seems forced and wierdly accepted.

That is arrant generalization, from someone who started her reply to me saying "we can't generalize."

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Well, then I guess you have identifed yourself as "stupid" since you posted this earlier in this thread. (Bolding mine)

That is arrant generalization, from someone who started her reply to me saying "we can't generalize."

This is my experience, I have not generalized at all. I stated what I had encountered. 'I do not find the moral standing that high' the emphasis being on 'I'. I have not argued anyone elses points that do not match mine.

Are you insisting my views and experiences are not relevant as they are different to yours?
If so I say you are being extremely arrogant, ignorant and probably argumentative (which doesn't surprise me to be honest, not often threads keep the baring on here for long, you were bound to appear at some point).

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
LOL!

If you check my previous posts, you will find that I seldom, if ever, engage another poster in debate. My posts are almost always of the helpful and factual variety.

However, after having experienced the kindness and generosity of both Dominicans and expats when I was so badly injured that I was - literally -days from death, I could not in conscience allow your myopic views to stand unchallenged.

As to my arrogance and "ignorance" I shall allow those who know me on DR 1 to judge.

Oh, by the way, I moved to the Dominican Republic in 2001. So, I have been around a bit longer and have had the opportunity to enter into the fabric of the culture a bit more.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Oh, by the way, I moved to the Dominican Republic in 2001. So, I have been around a bit longer and have had the opportunity to enter into the fabric of the culture a bit more.

Hmmm, I also now people who have lived here for longer than you and who know very little about the country, so to say the length of stay means much,,,, to me doesn't float well, infact means diddly in my opinion. Although if it was me then yes, I would have entered in the 'fabric of the culture' a bit more like yourself. Don't be offended by this, it is only my experience and therefore my findings. 'My' findings, obviously I need to emphasize 'my' so as to not be misunderstood by some.

I find it wonderful that you had so much help when you needed it, it must make you feel very much loved and surrounded by very nice people. I hope I never need to be on deaths door to find people who want to help me unconditionally, but yes it sounds like you have good people around you.

I expect once I have had more experiences in this country my feeling and findings will change some, infact I know they will I expect them to. Until then I expect I have to sit back and allow people such as yourself to tell me how I should feel about my experiences and the people I encounter along the way.

I hope we all continue to be enlightened and enriched by our surroundings.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Another generalization: Folks who come to the DR to visit or live and live and/or engage with the poorer people-who normally they wouldn't live/hang with where they came from-find Dominicans to have their hands out 24/7/365.

It would be like going to live in Cabrini Green and pronouncing all Americans are like those there.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
treat as you wish to be treated

I find it wonderful that you had so much help when you needed it, it must make you feel very much loved and surrounded by very nice people. I hope I never need to be on deaths door to find people who want to help me unconditionally, but yes it sounds like you have good people around you.

is it possible that because this person was nice to the people that, in turn, they went the extra step for them...while sensing that others are so into themselves that the people want nothing to do with them and make it known?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
drned my dear I am worried about you ! you seem to have a talent for upsetting people and alienating yourself. Can I suggest that you start listening to people more or I fear that you are going to run into some sort of trouble.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
[/COLOR]

is it possible that because this person was nice to the people that, in turn, they went the extra step for them...while sensing that others are so into themselves that the people want nothing to do with them and make it known?

Yes, and I expect this is the case, it does sound like this guy has nice people around him.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
drned my dear I am worried about you ! you seem to have a talent for upsetting people and alienating yourself. Can I suggest that you start listening to people more or I fear that you are going to run into some sort of trouble.

Hmm, I think people don't read my posts properly. I have merely stated my experiences some have taken it on themselves to read into my posts that I am generalizing the entire nation, not the case. I accept others experiences and expect I will share some of those some day. Tell me your experiences are different, but don't tell me mine and how I feel and the people I know.

I have said before on here about similar things, when the tables turn for no reason, I think certain aspects of peoples posting on here to be seriously argumentative at times and completely unrelated to the thread, a thread goes down hill instantly for no reason.
Look at this one, I resent people putting words into my mouth or deliertely twisting or looking for the negatives in what I write, telling me how I should feel and so on.
So maybe I am not the one who needs to listen, if people read my posts properly without trying to negatively twist them, things would run alot smoother.

And please, don't worry about me. I have spent my life traveling the world and have lived among more cultures and varying lifestyle than most, and never come across any trouble. I expect this is because I don't listen to drivel and have a strong belief in what I know, and manage to pick out the good advice from the barprop advice I hear over and over again from the same kind of people.

Alienated myself? I don't do that, if you read the thread over you will see everything was running fine with varying opinions until someone took it on themselves to tell me how I should feel and ignore my own feelings. Look at my earlier posting days, I got twisted and shat on instantly so don't tell me I alienate myself, you guys do that for sport. Whatever makes you happy.

So again, another thread headed towards the sewer, I'll give it until midday.

So take a chill pill everyone, none of this is directed towards anyone specific, those of you know who you are and what and why you do it. So do I. Lets not enter the playground of patronizing posts please.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Just close the thread, it's dead now anyway and won't get back on track. The alienators are out from the swamps!:ninja:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's an interesting topic, I'd like to keep it on life support for the time being. :)