No Jus Soli in DR for non-Jus soli granting states

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Your figures are way off

Quote by asopao: What percentage of the Dominican population you think don't have birth certificate? maybe like 2%

As the DR does require its hospitals to issue a birth certificate it in no way requires the hospitals to register the birth. The registering of the birth is left to the parents, many of which are not registered themselves, to perform so that the child will be recognized as a Dominican citizen. Due to the lack of education, understanding and the sometimes (fear) of the "government", IMHO I believe that the percentage of the Dominican population without birth certificates is above 30%. This is a figure off the top of my head but I don't think it is far off the mark. There have been a number of articles in the newspapers here on this subject and it is a problem here in this country. The government was toying with the idea of implementing a law requiring the hospitals to register births with the government but I don't know what ever happened to that plan. Maybe in the next 20 or 30 years.

It is because of this lack of documentation that a lot of Dominicans are being deported from their own country along with the Hatitions. ;) ;) ;)

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
As the DR does require its hospitals to issue a birth certificate it in no way requires the hospitals to register the birth. The registering of the birth is left to the parents, many of which are not registered themselves, to perform so that the child will be recognized as a Dominican citizen. Due to the lack of education, understanding and the sometimes (fear) of the "government", IMHO I believe that the percentage of the Dominican population without birth certificates is above 30%. This is a figure off the top of my head but I don't think it is far off the mark. There have been a number of articles in the newspapers here on this subject and it is a problem here in this country. The government was toying with the idea of implementing a law requiring the hospitals to register births with the government but I don't know what ever happened to that plan. Maybe in the next 20 or 30 years.

It is because of this lack of documentation that a lot of Dominicans are being deported from their own country along with the Hatitions. ;) ;) ;)

30%? give me a break. What I've found is that people withouth birth certificates are usually rural elderly people, because in the past the bureaucracy was just too backward. Times have changed now ; and I'm talking about ethnic Dominicans only here.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
asopao

Okay, so you don't agree with the percentage I pulled out of my hat but I know for a fact that the DR has a big problem with this and the percentage is MUCH higher than 2%.

Your quote "What I've found is that people withouth birth certificates are usually rural elderly people"

If that is what you have found then you aren't looking very hard.

Your quote "the past the bureaucracy was just too backward."

What gives you any inkling of an idea that the present bureaucracy is any better than in the past?

Your quote "Times have changed now ; and I'm talking about ethnic Dominicans only here"

That is one of the major problems in this country (Times haven't changed)! I too am talking about ethnic Dominicans along with all the rest of the Dominicans. ;) ;) ;)