No More Bar Stools On Sidewalk In Sosua

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think prostitution in Sosua is going anywhere anytime soon. If ho's are not allowed to act freely in Sosua, they will go clandestine, but they won't go away because that is where mongers go looking for them. I do think some measures should be taken to protect the rights of those living in Sosua or visiting for non-sexual tourism. But I believe those streets already devoted to prostitution should be let to operate freely to avoid prostitution from spreading everywhere and becoming a lose/lose situation.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Dear Lindsey,

I Understand that you're talking about long term plans, but have you ever thought about the consequences on short or middle long term. Think they would be devestating for the locals and the local businesses if the whole business model changes. As somebody else already mentioned, money coming in gets spend directly to local businesses.

Agree with you that for long term with the plans they have it could be a good thing, but seriously it would be diffcult because like you know most of the people in DR only think short term, i'm sorry maybe only 1 week/1 month ahead of the situation (that is what short term is over here). I hope that you don't forget that this ain't US or europe where people have long term plans. Here Long term in my opinion is like 6 months to a year max!

I will only write one response to this thread. Those who think the mayor doesn't know what she is doing are sadly wrong. She knows very well, and she has long range plans, big money backing her and promises she is willing to keep.

Have any of you who have criticism been to the areas where Infiniti Blu, Hispaniola, and the currently being built Ocean Sands are? These are higher end projects with absolutely beautiful beaches only reached through the development or by boat. They are and will be exclusive.

Did I say boat? Oh, yes, it is not uncommon for residents or renters to arrive and/or have at their disposal for their stay a nice recreational boat....not one of those outboards that the beach guys on Sosua Beach hawk. These are REAL boats that anchor, have a captain, and come and go at the vacationers' wishes. Some come with solely Dominicans- wealthy Dominicans. Some with Gringos, so there is local, Dominican, interest here as well as outside interest.

The developers of these projects have invested multi millions, and I would venture that the mayor is fully aware and has guaranteed some sort of local support for these investments. Another very successful local business owner is readying to build on a lot right outside the main entrances, as they believe the future of this area lies in what these projects are bringing.

Do you think the projects will fail, because Sosua is just a whore town? Well, I happen to own at Infiniti Blu. I went to the office just today to see what is available for a rental for my kids to visit in the upcoming months. I was told that there are spotty weeks available in a couple of the studios, but for the most part, everything-EVERYTHING- is rented. And our development does not permit prostitutes to enter. Yet, those who care for a wholesome vacation experience at a bit higher cost than the low end downtown hotels and condos are willing to pay the price and rent here.

Hispaniola is still being built. However, every day, I see more activity around the project, with owners and renters present. Ocean Sands looks like it will be beautiful when finished. There is work going on daily. They are serious.

Why would developers and investors move forward in projects of this scale unless they knew that their investment would be safe?

So, for those of you who believe Sosua will only thrive unless prostitution is unharnessed and chairs and tables are permitted on the side walks, you have not seen what is in exisitence here and what is coming. Hang on. It will not transform this year or next, but step by step, condo sale by condo sale, condo rental by condo rental, local business owner by local business owner, I would venture to say that within 10 years, we will have a different Sosua.

Wait and see.

Lindsey

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Unsafe Sidewalks

You should take a trip to Europa. Rome, Barcelona, Paris etc. etc. Outdoor cafes, with tables on the sidewalks is what makes theese wonderfull cities.
No outdoor tables?!?!?!.

I am from Europe.
In those cities the sidewalks are wide enough to accommodate some tables and chairs (a permission from the municipality for a fee is needed for that) and still pedestrians are not forced to walk in the street.

Whereas here pedestrians are not safe from crazy drivers and 'motoconchos' even on sidewalks.

And I am not even talking about (man)holes that could swallow you entirely....

vorsichtkanalschacht.gif

einwegloch.jpg

donP

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Take Ocean Drive. i love sitting on the tables people watching (booties) lol

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I Know that in the Netherlands business owners have to pay a certain amount (depending of the square meters they own) for the right to place tables and chairs. But hope the DR won't go this way, because with all this rules they are going to make up they will lead to people/business owners move to different countries where they got less rules. Why u think we all came here, because of less bureaucracy, hope this trend doesn't follow up because otherwise i don't know here it's going to end. Firts they start thios than this and than that blablabla. you all know where i am going to!

I am from Europe.
In those cities the sidewalks are wide enough to accommodate some tables and chairs (a permission from the municipality for a fee is needed for that) and still pedestrians are not forced to walk in the street.

Whereas here pedestrians are not safe from crazy drivers and 'motoconchos' even on sidewalks.

And I am not even talking about (man)holes that could swallow you entirely....

vorsichtkanalschacht.gif

donP

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I think this is about to ruin the last of Sosua reputation as a tourist town. No outdoor tables?!?!?!.

Outdoor tables are not outlawed. Blocking sidewalks is the subject. You can certainly have an outdoor table, just do it on your own property.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Lindsay - Well said.

For those that worry that the chicas will be jobless, would'nt it be nice if they could land real jobs?

I think the mayor does have a vision. And it's probably a win win for everyone. Sosua sits in the middle of a potentially "perfect storm" of progress. Cruise ships, nice coastline, nice bay, 10,000 babyboomers retiring a day, int'l airport, short flight to US, new condos, villas and AI's in place, 24 hr med center, world economy turn-around....

And yes, we all know the putas will always be around, but maybe downtown on Pedro Clisante is not the best place for them or the town.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think this is about to ruin the last of Sosua reputation as a tourist town. No outdoor tables?!?!?!.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Do you really believe that taking the tables off the sidewalk in front of a few bars is the end of Sosua as a tourist town?

The majority of people who eat and drink in Sosua don't sit on the sidewalk. Are they going to vanish with the sidewalk tables. People were coming to Sosua long before the Flow and Rumba put some tables on the sidewalk. And the same people who came to Sosua last month will come again in the future.

Hard to bellieve there is somebody who actually thinks that the only thing that brings people to Sosua is a few tables on the sidewalk of Pedro Clisante.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Do you really believe that taking the tables off the sidewalk in front of a few bars is the end of Sosua as a tourist town?

Personally, i would not want to be seen with one of those disgusting creatures!!!! IMO Whores are for the desperate!!!!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I can't understand why anyone would think that Sosua or even Puerto Plata will ever become a prime tourist destination. That ship sailed many years ago. There are so many destinations in the caribbean that are set up for that level of tourist.....not the northe coast of the DR. The amount of money that would need to be put into the area for this to happen would be astonomical....
Sosua and Puerto Plata are what they are...the mayor would be better off playing to its strengths and not beating it down in hopes of some pie in the sky dream.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
ouch you allowed yourself to be seen with me

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7GX9b10o7rA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>..........................................

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Some very informative & well thought out theories on this thread , but also some very incorrect assumptions as well.

First of all the BAN of tables and chairs is ONLY for bars, and not restaurants. Not sure if restaurants were also included at first and then later excluded, or if the enforcement was just not property understood, after all this is Sosua, and even Helmet laws change from one day to the next, it seems.
So it seems to be affecting ONLY El Flow and Rumbas.. make assumptions as you wish based on Willy and his new investment spot just down the strip…speculate all we want but as was stated, even the curtains and temporary windows were eventually taken down during the last big “crackdown” , so it’s highly unlikely that this latest ban will last for very long.

Secondly, the timing was immediately after the shooting, and yes it was in front of El Flow, but STARTED in Latinos, or whatever it’s called now.. If you read about the shooting, the chair beating and the subsequent shooting death of the guy they called Barbarian or whatever, it is very clear WHERE THIS STARTED. And it was NOT at El Flow.. not at all. So the chairs had NOTHING to do with it. (that’s my opinion though, Im not Dominican using Dominican Logic, a true oxymoron if there ever was one)

So , one could assume that the Mayor was acting in good faith ?, to try to prevent such “chair beatings and shooting deaths ” in future ? , OR one could assume she was REACTING to it, and even using it as an opportunity to Rattle up the business owners on PC, in the continued harassment of the Strip Bars, and Putas etc.
One thing for SURE, The real estate investment backers are for real, it’s going to happen.. the only question is WHERE the “red light district” will be a couple years from now. Right now its Pedro, from Rosen to the Sosua Bay Hotel. This is obvious to anyone who has been in town more than 2 days. So, Will the lights of Pedro continue to shine a little longer, as they did in Times Square NY back in the day ? , or is this new Dawn of big Hotels and Expensive condos and Villas coming faster than we think ? who really knows… But one thing for sure.. Iliana and the Real Estate Backers DO have a BIGGER plan for Sosua.. and we are watching it unfold right before our eyes. Heck, even Super Playero is blowing out walls and going even BIGGER, the clues are all right there. The Big will survive and the small will be gone.
Just my .02

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

The majority of people who eat and drink in Sosua don't sit on the sidewalk. Are they going to vanish with the sidewalk tables. People were coming to Sosua long before the Flow and Rumba put some tables on the sidewalk. And the same people who came to Sosua last month will come again in the future.

Hard to bellieve there is somebody who actually thinks that the only thing that brings people to Sosua is a few tables on the sidewalk of Pedro Clisante.

Ken. What I think is that almost every tourist that comes to Sosua, or any other place in the Caribean, wants to be able to sit outdoor and enjoy a cold drink or a meal. Most of the people that comes to these countries dosen't want to spend their time sitting indoors.