No More Pedro

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:
The Sox got 3 or 4 pitchers for loose change that can be moved easily if they fail. Combined, they equate over a season to achieve what Lowe and Pedro did.

Where some of you come up with Saaaaaaaaawx MGMT dropping the ball on this is beyond me. When he decided to go to the Mets, I'd bet my left arm that management let out a huge sigh of relief?as did all his teammates.

Who will they pick up when those 3 or 4 pitchers fail? They missed out on Tim Hudson AND Mark Mulder. How did the genius miss those two options? Guess they didn't fit in the plans either, like Pedro. Those damn malcontents.

I say by May or June, Manny and Ortiz will be trying jump on I-95 South to Shea. And again, they'll be a huge sigh of relief, right? From which teammates? Boston will go back to being the most miserable city in the USA.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Stan Grossfeld

This isn't his best piece of work, but he's a tremendous writer and explorer?and an even better photographer.

In an effort to resuscitate this thread from tonedeaf's diatribe of dismal detritrus, a new jolt of DR-related baseball coverage.

I realize similar stories have been written, this just adds to DR1's resources.

The one part that caught me odd was "In other parts of the city, kids play in the streets and alleys with broomsticks and bottle caps that they buy for a dime".

Who's selling bottle caps for a dime?

I often made the effort to save the 5 gallon water bottle tops, and when I had a handful I'd take them with me on a bikeride and find eager takers. It turned the shout of "rubio" into a good thing.

Ever try and hit a bottle cap with a broom stick? It's like trying to hit a mosquito with chopstick.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
If you're still with me.

Grossfeld must be doing a series.

More Dominican Baseball stuff.

This is a really good story about El Mamon, a day care center and a baseball field built by Dominican and American youth.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
MissingBoca said:
Pedro was with Sox for how many years and won how many WS?

And then along came Curt

Schilling is a fighter, scrapper and a winner. the team and people admire his dedication and willingness to sacrifice, not his complaining of no respect

Pedro was replaced by a better man and couldn't handle it. If Pedro got the sniffles he had to be pulled, Curt played with his ankle hanging out

Don't bother with stats, the only stat I am interested in is Schilling came, saw and conquered ;)

Schilling came to the D'Backs, saw and conquered, then they sucked. Was he the man or was Randy Johnson?
Schilling came to the Sox, saw and conquered. Was he the man or was Pedro?

We'll see who has the better season next year. Pedro on last year's cellar dwellers, or Curt on the reigning champs. I know who I have my money on, and they haven't even signed Delgado and Beltran, YET!!