No pension for cane cutters

May 29, 2006
You do know that Dominican wages are much higher than in all Central American countries except Costa Rica and Panama, right?

Interesting... Nicaragua has the lowest wages in Central American. Very interesting.

Anyway, as things are right now, the average Haitian in the DR makes upwards of 9 times as much as they would had earned in Haiti.

Haitian cane workers are not paid in Dominican money, but in vouchers which can only be spent at stores within the Bateys with huge mark-ups.

I think in Central America, Guatemala is the poorest, with a larger part of the population working as subsistence farmers than in other countries.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Someone explain how the Haitians who work the cane fields are exempt from the new immigration policies.

Yeah, strange how the people responsible for bringing them here have managed to dodge that one?

I wondered about that too.

Or some might say that the D.R. is trying to (and is quite right to) avoid all the negative propaganda that would be brought on by enforcing the law concerning these Haitian workers.

Nals probably would say that it is a humanitarion act.......

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i could not load the hoy video but i have spoken with Father Christopher Hartley on this one... and he last wrote to me that the workers were indeed being paid their social security.. it was a court case that suppporters pressed and won.

i have not been alerted that that has changed but have been incommunicado

careful with demonizing an entire industry which includes not only the Gulf and western company but the Vincinis, Chris Dodd, Dominino sugar and a huge king pin of DR CAFTA. DR sugar had a huge effect on keeping corn syrup at bay which was a big victory for sugar countries everywhere----- and please.--- if there were no work--- and no pay.-.-- well.-- hell-- they might just have to do what--_ sit in the champs de mars and wait for usaid to rebuild???

all shades of grey on this one

notice that the crema sugar never gets out of the country??? or into the packets at the restos?? maybe because it contains some of the actual molassass still in it--

sticky business--- but careful when throwing facile stones and rocks-- few clean hands in this one

the old guns to slaves to molasses to rum

now ganga to guns to diamonds to bombs to opium .--- same game--- different day

last gringo i met had a father who was a made man for the mob

we all have a few horse theives i wll reckon

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There is a balance between what the guys will work for and what the sugar company will pay... the market figures it out.
Some would say that any interference in this is communism and unnatural.
But go and cut cane for just 30 mins and then have a think about it.

Either way, getting paid their wages sucks real bad.