No Pizza Hut buffalo wings?

May 29, 2006
I have yet to see buttermilk in the DR. Do you live here?

In the US I use buttermilk, in the DR, I use regular milk. It's traditional in some regions for Southern fried chicken.

When you bread fried chicken, let the breading "set" for 10-15 minutes. The extra time absorbs moisture from the skin which can turn to steam in the fryer and make the coating fall off.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You can also use sour cream and thin it out with whole milk until the consistency of buttermilk.

Actually,it's a substitute.Also add two tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk.
let it sit for about 15 minutes until it curdles and voila! buttermilk substitute.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can also use sour cream and thin it out with whole milk until the consistency of buttermilk.

Actually,it's a substitute.Also add two tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk.
let it sit for about 15 minutes until it curdles and voila! buttermilk substitute.
Great suggestions! Thanks!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In the US I use buttermilk, in the DR, I use regular milk. It's traditional in some regions for Southern fried chicken.
As a southern boy, agree fully...

PiB said:
When you bread fried chicken, let the breading "set" for 10-15 minutes. The extra time absorbs moisture from the skin which can turn to steam in the fryer and make the coating fall off.
That's what I also do, then bread them a second time.

May 29, 2006
I never bread wings. The corn starch is just enough to make them extra crispy and help them hold more sauce without them being breaded. I'd worry about using corn starch after soaking them since it might make too much cling to them.

Alton Brown is the go to guy for learning online how to make Fried Chicken the old school way. I learned how to fry chicken from a 65 year-old Black woman from Alabama some 30 years ago along with how to make corn bread, biscuits and corn fritters.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I watch the Food Network and Alton Brown in Good Eats.

I get most of my recipes from that site.

May 29, 2006
Alton Brown and I have a very similar background in cooking and we're the same age. Nothing too fancy, just American classics backed up with plenty of technique. Most cooks on Food Network are hacks except for him and Paula Dean.

"Now we add just a little mo' butter"

Just saw his recipe for wings. He steams, then bakes them. Oh well, it's not like he's from Buffalo...

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
One thing I like about Alton Brown is that he gives a food history about the ingredients he uses.

Very informative.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just ate, and now I'm hungry again!
"Damn You Guys!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I saw "CBs" picture last time he posted it.
It STILL makes me hungry!

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Frying the wings is easy. It's finding Frank's RedHot that's the hard part. I make my own sauces, but I don't think they are easily sourced in the DR. One of my easier sauces is 1/2 generic Hot Sauce with 1/4 Soy and 1/4 Salsa Ingles with some garlic. Use about 2oz sauce per pound of wings.

Just bought Franks Redhot sauce at Sirena in POP yesterday, was $190 pesos I think

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Took me about 2 minutes to realize that the guy doing the voice over was actually speaking English, sort of!
I also noticed that they use the wing tip, but not the "Drumette" part of the wing.
I like mine a little more browned than they do.
CCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Yeah, I'm not keen on starting with cold oil. I usually start the drummettes first then add in the blade sections two minutes later and cook for a total of 10 minutes. I use a wok for deep frying. I cook the tips off while I'm prepping the chicken because I don't like raw chicken in the garbage.

This one is insane. This is typical of what Japanese moms make for their kids school lunches:
How to Make Bento Lunch Box

It seems to be very competitive in Japan to have the best Bento Lunch at shool.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you deep fry the "Tips" until DARK brown, you can eat the whole thing!
COLD oil got me too.
And I would toast the sesame seeds until golden brown as well.
PS, your "Garbage Can" doesn't care one way or another!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Whenever I flew Japan Airlines to Thailand, I always ordered the "Bento Box".
They were always great, and a sample of lots of Japanese "Picadera"!
CC

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I never bread wings. The corn starch is just enough to make them extra crispy and help them hold more sauce without them being breaded. I'd worry about using corn starch after soaking them since it might make too much cling to them.
True Buffalo wings are ~nekkid~ like you like them. I like mine breaded, like fried chicken, except I put a lot of cayenne pepper and paprika in my flour/breadcrumb mixture.

That's why I really like Hooter's wings: lightly breaded...

May 29, 2006
True Buffalo wings are ~nekkid~ like you like them. I like mine breaded, like fried chicken, except I put a lot of cayenne pepper and paprika in my flour/breadcrumb mixture.

That's why I really like Hooter's wings: lightly breaded...

Agreed. I was a line cook in Buffalo something like 25 years ago. Most folks won't notice the corn starch except that the wings are crispier. The corn starch also doesn't scorch in the like flour and bread crumbs do.

I remember when you could get 10-15 cent wings and dollar drafts on game nights. Not a bad time for watching football with the Jim Kelly Bills. At another place I worked, we put out 20 pounds of wings at a buffet free every Friday during happy hour. Those were the days. One extra draft per customer and you more than got your money back on the wings.

I think Hooters charges extra for the Bleu Cheese and Celery. I give them credit though for spreading wings throughout the rest of the US.

It's getting harder to find places that still use Frank's. It's $14/gallon compare to $8/gallon for cheaper brands. I never have wings at a place if they don't have Franks. I ask every time. You also have to look out for pre-cooked wings.

Last edited: