No Water in Samana

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I do not know what the issue is, but can whoever is in charge of tourism get together with whoever is in charge of the water and whoever is in charge of sending money to Samana, and whoever has an understanding of pumps and their maintenance, please all meet and solve this so we have some water!!!!???. This is dumb recurring problem.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There was a news a few days ago that while working on the malecón, a recently placed aqueduct underneath the road was struck. This isn’t a maintenance issue, this is the result of stupidity. Until that part of the aqueduct isn’t repaired, expect water problems in Samana.

Reactions: reilleyp

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
There was a news a few days ago that while working on the malecón, a recently placed aqueduct underneath the road was struck. This isn’t a maintenance issue, this is the result of stupidity. Until that part of the aqueduct isn’t repaired, expect water problems in Samana.
At another site near Loma de la Pina, workers digging a ditch for a new development hit the water pipe. You would think that once they turned off the water, they would work on that leak. Nope.
I heard they are having problems with a giant pump, which would explain why we have water one day and then none for another few days. Who knows.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see the south coast is not the nirvana some portray. NO surprise the water company there is as incompetent as the one on the north coast has become.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We're in drought season, and your friends from CAASD are having a hard time lately:
One thing I have always found very curious, is that as in that article from Diario Libre as well, always when there's "lack of water" from CAASD or any other corporation, often the water trucks are mentioned. It says on the article that 95 trucks will be put in use to serve the most affected areas. Now the stupid question: If there is no water (supposedly, or it's just not sourced properly?), where do the trucks get the water? As far as I know, in POP when we have had to order water in trucks, they always say that they source it from some river. Is it not possible for the actual water companies then source from the same rivers?

I've heard many stories that CORAAPLATA in the North sometimes simply closes the valves to give the water truckers more business, but that's another story, I'm referring to this supposed distribution of water by the water company itself, and them supposedly paying the truckers...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A recent director of CORAAPPLATA on the north coast used to own a water truck company.

Perhaps the same scam is at work in Samana?

We recently got an offer from CORAAPPLATA with the latest bill about some new "rate system"
that had a limited time for signing up. It was to improve service. I ignored it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Water - the new gold of the 21st Century
It will be the limiting factor to more growth in DR
Spend time in the US Virgin islands and you will find the majority collect and pray for rain

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree 100 percent that water limits growth. I saw it where I moved from with government limits on water usage.

They can always build another coal fired power plant, but water is a much harder resource to produce when not enough falls from the sky or is stored when it does fall. The ancient Romans were better at water management than modern Dominicans are.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I agree 100 percent that water limits growth. I saw it where I moved from with government limits on water usage.

They can always build another coal fired power plant, but water is a much harder resource to produce when not enough falls from the sky or is stored when it does fall. The ancient Romans were better at water management than modern Dominicans are.
And very hard to import in sufficient quantities - but today and last night God is importing a lot of it

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I agree, you can use only so much as you physically get it, but I think much more could be done in controlling the usage of it, none of which takes place properly in my opinion.
1. Water meters
2. Proper plumbing without leaks for starters...

In Europe, it's normal to a person use about 150 liters of fresh water daily (and where there is normally no shortage of water because also ground water is used and because everyone pays for every drop they use), which number is increased a bit if you have a garden etc. Based on all my calculations and what I have seen, The areas in the DR that receive water, use the multitude of this amount on a daily basis, while the "affected areas" received much less... So when there is street water available in many barrios in the DR, which is obviously not metered, everyone just takes a hose and starts to shoot out water everywhere and wash their cars etc etc. All this water is usually wasted...

Reactions: Fulano2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Seems California has the same issues. Water management is horrible in the DR. 150 PESOS A MONTH FOR MOST HOUSES Jarabacoa and some people still get their water cut off for lack of payment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems California has the same issues. Water management is horrible in the DR. 150 PESOS A MONTH FOR MOST HOUSES Jarabacoa and some people still get their water cut off for lack of payment.
Since Calfornia was where I was for 10 years just previous to moving to the DR: California's water supply relies on snow pack. It had been non-extant to minimal for years. Even before climate change was a thing.

When I lived in upstate NY, our house made News at 11 one night for watering the grass. There was a ban on using city water, but we were using water from a well point. The news people failed to take that into account and we were doing nothing outside the regulations banning the use of city water at that time for watering the grass.

So while the water was and still might be at a premium where I came from , the reason was lack of snow and decisions to use water for farming versus residences in CA and in NY there was a temporary drought. Not inept and corrupt water companies, and huge amounts of wasted water by the populace like in the DR where they spray water on the road for what they think is a good reason. The common element might be droughts. Time will tell how much worse this gets on the north coast with all the new developments.