Noise is a big problem in Greater Santo Domingo

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
911-Hoy-1024x679.png

Diario Libre reports that during almost eleven months of last year, the National Emergency and Security Attention System 911 received 90,219 complaints of noise pollution in Greater Santo Domingo, of which nearly 97 percent, 87,647 cases, correspond to “loud music.”

Entertainment businesses do not adhere to sound rulings, and city area residents must constantly call in to request the sound be lowered. Businesses allow loud music to blast repeatedly from outdoor terraces of the businesses. Occasionally, the calls from the neighbors get the Police to interfere and the businesses lower the music volume.

In the past, 911 would refer noise complaints to the Ministry of Environment. This was a dead end for those who complained because the Ministry of Environment did not have a noise task force to act. Today, 911 is receiving the noise complaints and notifying the noise unit of the National Police...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Noise is a problem everywhere in this country. Will the culture change? Folks just love their teteo & garbage music, and whenever a foreigner says something, he is told to go back to his country if he doesn't like it (which nowadays most do anyway). Wait till they destroy the rice industry and see all those campesinos flood new barrios in the cities, it'll be much worst!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Noise is a problem everywhere in this country. Will the culture change? Folks just love their teteo & garbage music, and whenever a foreigner says something, he is told to go back to his country if he doesn't like it (which nowadays most do anyway). Wait till they destroy the rice industry and see all those campesinos flood new barrios in the cities, it'll be much worst!
why would they destroy the rice industry?

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You have to read the debate in another thread about the difficult situation that the DR is in, regarding the possible flooding of the Dominican market by heavily subsidised rice from the USA whilst trying to follow a free trade policy .

Reactions: CristoRey and PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Police are just paid off to ignore
Or not:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes CristoRey just like everything else . it is selective enforcement depending on the mood or interest of the enforcer. The young gangs of children on the street corners who attempt to make the car window even more dirty are told not to be there sometimes , the men operating the speed cameras lose interest when they are chatting on their cell phone and the list goes on. Part of living in a country where people hate laws and rules and compliance is almost an unknown word .

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
...whenever a foreigner says something, he is told to go back to his country if he doesn't like it...
Wasn't it a US President who coined the saying "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"? Why can't Dominicans use it too? 😁

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Wasn't it a US President who coined the saying "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"? Why can't Dominicans use it too? 😁
Playing loud music, alcohol and dancing are what these folks do to blow off steam and it's very much a big part of modern day Dominican culture. Especially the lower income and unemployed. I do not expect to see these folks stop playing loud music anytime soon and I don't think most Dominicans are interested in changing their culture at this point in time.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
and whenever a foreigner says something, he is told to go back to his country if he doesn't like it
Which is the way it should be ‼️
An entire world exists out there.
Go find the place that suits you best.
Or deal with the place that has more positives for you than negatives.

Noise in the city is a problem.
That is why I live in campo.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Most of the loud noise/music problems are not in the downtown city area. It's the outer areas that unemployed loser aspiring D,Js ply their trade.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It’s a trade off. Often it’s safer where there are people and noise.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Most of the loud noise/music problems are not in the downtown city area. It's the outer areas that unemployed loser aspiring D,Js ply their trade.
I agree.
I live (near downtown) in the center of Santiago and loud music is never really a problem unless it's during the holidays but even then the older Dominicans in my neighborhood don't allow it after midnight and for the most part, they are respected by the younger roosters. The PN will drive by if it's late sometimes and get on their bull horn but I've never heard of them confiscating speakers and halling folks off to jail over here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From what I've heard, confiscation of speakers is usually only done in cases of repeat offenders or like in the last case, the person was requested to turn down the volume but refused or turned it back up again shortly afterwards.