non-competition agreements

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Every employee is forbidden from disclosing any confidential information about the business in which he or she works (Art. 44, Paragraph 7 of the Labor Code). This obligation not to divulge trade secrets survives the employment contract. Therefore, a non-compete agreement preventing an employee from using inside information for the benefit of another employer is indeed legal. It should include a stiff liquidated damages clause (?cl?usula penal?) to facilitate enforcement.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Fabio, does this count for sub-contractors? Someone working for you doing a specific task that you have contracted them for? And they have specifically agreed not to divulge company information that they are privileged to see?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Every employee is forbidden from disclosing any confidential information about the business in which he or she works (Art. 44, Paragraph 7 of the Labor Code). This obligation not to divulge trade secrets survives the employment contract. Therefore, a non-compete agreement preventing an employee from using inside information for the benefit of another employer is indeed legal. It should include a stiff liquidated damages clause (‘cláusula penal”) to facilitate enforcement.
But, I don't believe that was the question posed. The OP was not concerned with an employee utilizing confidential information, but was concerned with his ability to go into a competing business. So as I read your answer, if no confidential information is utilized, a competition clause cannot be enforced? For example. if you taught an employee something generic such as how to be a welder, can he be prevented from opening a welding business?

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Chris, in the case of sub-contractors, you would have to specify the prohibition in writing.

Howmar, I believe a non-compete would be legal if: (a) the prohibition to work is limited with regards to location (a city for example, but not the whole country ) and time (a year but not 10 years or forever); (b) if there is a sufficient strong reason for the prohibition (knowledge of client base by former employee is very important in the business). The issue, however, is controversial and as far as I know has not been definitely decided in the courts.