Non-Gringo Real Estate, Sosua

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I've seen some really harsh and sometimes cruel remarks made in response to people asking about finding residences and getting visa's for their Dominican partners and I don't understand why.

It is my belief that many of you who have answered this post and others that you are either Dominican,married to a Dominican or dating a Dominican.

So why is it that your Dominican isn't like those posters who are seeking advise. Why is it that your Dominican is not just using you to get visa's for them and their kids? Why isn't your Dominican a sankie or prostitute looking for someone to support them?

You have users from all walks of life. I understand you may want to spare someone from being taken advantage of but it is unfair to start calling someone you have never met derogatory names.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Life is real Pati,not like we wish it would be!!!!!

See if you like this analogy?
You have lived in the jungle for your entire life.You have had experiences with every animal there.A bus load of "Tourists" arrive for an intensive jungle vacation experience.One of the tourists sees a colorful snake sunning itself on a rock,and bends over to pick it up! You can't see exactly what kind of "snake" it is,but knowing that the majority of snakes in your jungle are poisonous,you yell to the tourist to "STOP",that snake will bite you!!!
Maybe the "snake" was poisonous,maybe not,but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give the tourist the benefit of your vast experience,and warn them! They may come from a place where all snakes are friendly.
If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,and quacks like a duck,there is a fairly good chance that it is a DUCK!!! :bunny: Or maybe a rabbit,dressed up like a DUCK! Cris Colon
What really pisses me off is his comment that "Poor Dominicans" won't need air conditioning,or electricity!"................................................................ The are just like "Animals" you know!!!! CC

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Danny W said:
Gringo in dr - Tonight, when I have some time, I will enjoy writing a reply to you and my comic friend Criss. But first, could you please elaborate on what you think Criss is right about and what "some guys never figure out". Criss' generalizations and condemnations were coming so fast and furious that I'm not sure what you're referring to. - D

The part he is correct about is that 95% of the times long term relationships don't work out. Many times living with a latina doesn't work out. Most of the times their intentions are far from honest, even when they are honest, bridging the cultural gap is a very hard job.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
DannyW, there are no real estate offices serving Charamicos and Sosua Abajo. You need to walk the streets looking for signs and talk with people living there. I think I would start with the owners or managers of some of the most used stores, people who have contact with most residents.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Criss Colon said:
See if you like this analogy?
You have lived in the jungle for your entire life.You have had experiences with every animal there.

I understand what your saying but we're not talking about animals we're talking about people. I do believe that the intentions of the posters are to be helpful. Can't people be warned without someone saying hey dumb@$$ nobody on this island could possibly want to be with you unless they want to use you. And if by chance there is someone on this island who doesn't want to take advantage of you your too stupid to find them.I just think this can be done without degrading and insulting anyone that's all.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks, Ken. Criss, I'm not going to waste too much time with this, but now I'm pissed off so I'll make a few points.

1) Your point about what Dominicans are "bred" for is a) racist or b) stupid, take your pick.
2) She HATES air conditioning. Won't stay in a room with it. Her son can't stand bathing with warm water. He's not used to it. You jumped to the wrong conclusion.
3) She now has health insurance, a credit card, a bank account, a DVD player and is going to school. She even has diamond earrings, but can't tell anyone for fear of being robbed. She never DREAMED of having any of these things. The reason I said she isn't interested in backup electricity is because she doesn't expect it. The purpose of my post was to find a place for her in Sosua, and I didn't want anyone to think that was a prerequisite. Criss, I'm moving her to Sosua for a better life and future for her and her kids - that's how little I think of her.
4) The danger of dishonesty in this kind of relationship is not beyond my ability to comprehend. I get it. But guess what - she is a person, not a stereotype. I know her, you don't. But thanks for looking out for me.
5) Depending on your definition, almost every Gringo in the DR is slumming. We're rich, they're poor.
6) Without going into details, this girl has had serious medical problems in the last year, and she and her baby would most likely be in another world by now without this Gringo's abuse. Of course she could have faked weighing 80 pounds and being in a coma.
7) And the big winner is me. My life has been enriched more than you can imagine. I'm glad I took the chance. It would have been my loss if I didn't. - D

quite

Jun 16, 2003
Thanks

undefined
Danny W said:
Thanks, Ken. Criss, I'm not going to waste too much time with this, but now I'm pissed off so I'll make a few points.

1) Your point about what Dominicans are "bred" for is a) racist or b) stupid, take your pick.
2) She HATES air conditioning. Won't stay in a room with it. Her son can't stand bathing with warm water. He's not used to it. You jumped to the wrong conclusion.
3) She now has health insurance, a credit card, a bank account, a DVD player and is going to school. She even has diamond earrings, but can't tell anyone for fear of being robbed. She never DREAMED of having any of these things. The reason I said she isn't interested in backup electricity is because she doesn't expect it. The purpose of my post was to find a place for her in Sosua, and I didn't want anyone to think that was a prerequisite. Criss, I'm moving her to Sosua for a better life and future for her and her kids - that's how little I think of her.
4) The danger of dishonesty in this kind of relationship is not beyond my ability to comprehend. I get it. But guess what - she is a person, not a stereotype. I know her, you don't. But thanks for looking out for me.
5) Depending on your definition, almost every Gringo in the DR is slumming. We're rich, they're poor.
6) Without going into details, this girl has had serious medical problems in the last year, and she and her baby would most likely be in another world by now without this Gringo's abuse. Of course she could have faked weighing 80 pounds and being in a coma.
7) And the big winner is me. My life has been enriched more than you can imagine. I'm glad I took the chance. It would have been my loss if I didn't. - D
THIS IS REALLY GREAT. I CAN'T TELL YOU ALL HOW HAPPY I AM TO HEAR THEIR ARE PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU WHO STILL CARE.

quite

Jun 16, 2003
Thanks

I Can't Tell You How Happy I Am To Hear That There Are People Out There Like You All Who Still Care.