North Coast Hotel

veraugamike

Jul 22, 2019
My cousin will be retiring soon. She wants to know if DR should be on her list of countries to consider living in. She want to see for herself. She asks "Can you recommend a nice 4-5 star hotel in Puerto Plata-Sousa-Cabarete area??" I could, but no 4-5 star hotel stay will give her an idea of what living here would be like. I suppose it is a start. Recommendations please.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
My cousin will be retiring soon. She wants to know if DR should be on her list of countries to consider living in. She want to see for herself. She asks "Can you recommend a nice 4-5 star hotel in Puerto Plata-Sousa-Cabarete area??" I could, but no 4-5 star hotel stay will give her an idea of what living here would be like. I suppose it is a start. Recommendations please.
This is not exactly a recommendation, and I do not have so many details, but the only time my dad and brother visited us in POP, they stayed 2 weeks in Lifestyle in Cofresi (I don't know how many stars it has, but I would expect at least 4?), POP. They had no complaints. They did not have the AI package, nor did they pay for any meals (they obviously ate with us...). Just the room, nothing else... At that time, my dad was in the mid 60s and my brother in the mid 20s, closer to 30... They like peace and quiet, walking around and such, and again, no complaints... On the day they checked in, we entered their room and it was very nice...

They did have a very strict security at that time, I did appreciate that...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Casa Colonial is super nice, but it won't give her an idea of what living here would be like for sure.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
100% agreed.
A 4 or 5 star hotel will not provide anyone with realistic experience when it comes to what living in the Dominican Republic is really like. In fact, it will be the polar opposite.

I recommend she stay somewhere like Voramar Hotel in Sosua. It's safe, clean and the experience is more "authentic" as far as the locals and foreigners who often stay there. Paints a much better picture of what life on the North Coast is really like.

Unless of course she is looking to live in a prison style compound surrounded by gates, 10ft walls, dogs, security cameras, electric fences and barbed wire.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I don't know how staying in a Hotel can give you a taste of living in this country. I would recomend to put her in a airbnb. That's a closed as it gets to actually living here. She needs to do her shopping, cleaning etc. by herself.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
idk how Cabarete represents life in the DR. It's like a mini Flor-i-d-a. Cabarete is a one and only. Go stay in SDE if you really want to see Dominican city life. If you want campo, which no normal person should, there are plenty of lomas where you can bathe with a bucket standing on top of a few plantain leaves in the mud and crap in a hole in the ground.

Reactions: Big and JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you're looking for an authentic Dominican experience you'll never forget, stay in the Caribe Aparthotel in the Callejón in Cabarete. This is real Dominican life.