North Coast Medical Experience

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Apparently it is getting to the point where humans can be repaired about as easily as cars.

Barbara's hip was replaced yesterday (Sunday) morning, and last night we were told she can leave the hospital on Wednesday. She'll need to use crutches, but will be mobile.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
Apparently it is getting to the point where humans can be repaired about as easily as cars.

Barbara's hip was replaced yesterday (Sunday) morning, and last night we were told she can leave the hospital on Wednesday. She'll need to use crutches, but will be mobile.

That is great news! Eddy had two done and he's now running around like a spring chicken :)

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
So sorry that this has happened to Barbara. We will be praying for a swift recovery. Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

Mary and Glynn

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To keep you informed about what is involved in a hip replacement, I just spoke with the doctor and he indicated he wanted Barbara to remain in Santo Domingo for 10 days so that he could monitor her recovery and receive therapy from the therapists at Clinica Abreu.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
... We regularly watch Third Watch but I don't recall seeing an ambulance parked outside a house while husband packed clothes for the victim.

i'm glad you have been able to keep your sense of humour about this. with attitudes like that it will be a quick recovery time.

mob

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
Back in my real life before I became a jobless transient, I worked in a rehab and took care of many people with hip replacements. I was very surprised that you were going to move her to Sosua by Wednesday. I am glad to hear that Barbara will be receiving therapy and staying put for a little while. You have our prayers.
Mary

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Ken, I just read your post and I feel a great sense of relief now that everything is turning out fine for Barbara. Your story was very eye-opening about what to do in a medical emergency in a foreing poor country. Knowing where good doctors are and being well connected pays off.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
juancarlos said:
Knowing where good doctors are and being well connected pays off.

It most certainly does. We feel we have very good doctors and are quite happy to refer others to them, including contacting the doctor and letting them know who we have referred.

It happens that most of our doctors, other than those for common illnesses, are in Santo Domingo. This is because we lived in Samana for many years and SD was the place to go because that is where the bus went. If we were starting life in the DR on the North Coast, we probably would have looked to Santiago. I'm afraid I can't be of help there. For Santiago referrals it would be best to talk with Hillbilly.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To Ken

Robert said:
That is great news! Eddy had two done and he's now running around like a spring chicken :)
"Spring" ? maybe "early summer" LOL. Piece of cake Ken. After her 10 days physio she she be walking normally with a cane for a couple of weeks then "yipee" back to normal. BTW, if she needs a cane or anything, send me a PM and I'll make a call to Sosua and she can get one of mine. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Update on Barbara

Barbara decided to stay in the hospital one more day. She could have
left today, but wanted to stay. Yesterday she walked with walker and
again this morning. Also used a toilet that is elevated and in a frame
like a walker. Be some time, I guess, before she can go as low as a
regular toilet. Also, she will be on crutches at first, then cane.

While she is in Santo Domingo, the therapist will go to the hotel until
she is able to travel to the doctor's office. The therapist is an
employee of the doctor and works out of his office.

As I'm sure is normal, she is a little uneasy about walking without good
support. Staying in hospital one more day so that she can have more
supervised experiences is part of the confidence building process.

I'm on my way now to buy her crutches. She wants to try getting out of
the bed and walking the hall of the hospital on the crutches. That,
too, is part of the confidence building process.

She is in very good spirits.

For those interested in knowing the costs, I've gotten the first bill--for the parts used to make the new hip. The total is US$1,430: Copa Bipolar Self Centering, Componente Femoral, Cabeze Femoral, and Cemento Para Hueso. I assume all was imported from the US.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Good luck to Barbara. I think it's important to mention to the newbies that Ken has been around Sosua for many years and knows the ins and outs of the gringo/local system. This experience, while costly, could've cost a whole lot more had he not known who to call. Many foreigners are taken advantage of in these situations, when you're white, the price often doubles that of the "local" cost.

Hope all goes well.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hi Ken,

I just now started to read this thread and found out about Barbara. Kay and I send her our best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery. She is a classy lady and we certainly enjoyed visiting with you both. Please tell her we are thinking of her. We will be in Sosua in a few weeks. Let me know if there is anything you need or want us to do.

Bob H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
trina said:
Good luck to Barbara. been around Sosua for many years and knows the ins and outs of the gringo/local system. This experience, while costly, could've cost a whole lot more had he not known who to call. Many foreigners are taken advantage of in these situations, when you're white, the price often doubles that of the "local" cost.

I agree, Trina. That is why I have offered many times to assist newbies in any way that I can. I?m sure there are other ?seasoned? expats who would do the same.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cost of Hip Replacement

Barbara is out of Clinica Abreu; all bills have been paid.

The total bill was approximately RD$201,000, which at present rate of exchange is about US$7,000. Included:

1. 5 nights in a very nice semi-private room with individual controls for AC and cable TV

2. A first class orthopedic surgeon (French) and anesthesiologist

3. All the parts necessary to make the new hip

4. Pre op evaluation by cardiologist and others.

5. Every hypo, bandage, medicamento, etc., etc she was given. The itemized bill looks like a magazine.

The first RD$30,000 was paid as a deposit when she entered the hospital, the rest was paid today. But the total was RD$121,000 and charged to my credit card.

In a previous message, trina suggested I got a better price than a newbie might. I don't think that is the case. Clinica Abreu has everything itemized on the computer and when an item is entered, the price appears. I doubt very much that there are two lists, one for Dominicans and one for foreigners.

I had been thinking that if I had Dominican insurance that I might have been charged less, since insurance companies, no matter which country, have a list of benefits showing what they paid for a wide variety of things. The gal in the other part of the semi-private room had an operation to enlarge one of the tubes leading to or from her kidney. She has Dominican insurance, which pays RD$14,000 for the operation. Her bill was considerably more than that, and she is paying the difference.

The urologist who did her operation happened to be the same urologist I go to. He said that the schedule of benefits is so that no first class doctor or hospital was going to limit itself to accepting them. The message is that if you want good care, you'd better be prepared to pay for it even if you have Dominican insurance.

Barbara must remain in Santo Domingo for 10 days, during which she will receive therapy for an hour a day and be checked periodically by the doctor. Regarding the therapy, until the therapist believes Barbara is ready to travel to the office, she will be going to the hotel to give her the therapy there.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
Good work Ken

I'm happy to hear barbara is doing well.

Also thank you for all the info. you have given us .

Well it's time for me to make a few phone calls and get myself on the way to a new hip.

So once again, I say thank you Ken .

Judy

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ken said:
In a previous message, trina suggested I got a better price than a newbie might. I don't think that is the case. Clinica Abreu has everything itemized on the computer and when an item is entered, the price appears. I doubt very much that there are two lists, one for Dominicans and one for foreigners.

I may be totally wrong. In the case of Clinica Abreu, which is a very well-known, respected clinic, I don't believe there would be two lists. The price is the price, you get the quality and service you pay for. I was speaking more of everything you went through to get there - the Doc from Cabarete, the ambulance rides, the visit in POP... But again, I'm basing it all on what other ex-pats have told me - I never actually saw the doctor's bills when I got sick.

I'm glad all is well. Thanks for the useful information.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
judyisnice said:
Well it's time for me to make a few phone calls and get myself on the way to a new hip.

Judy,

A few additional things for you to keep in mind as you look ahead to a hip replacement in, I assume, the DR:

1. The doctor will want you to be somewhere he can monitor your progress and where you can get therapy every day. This post op therapy is important to build up the muscles and keep you from stiffening up. 15 days after the surgery the stitches are removed. The therapist told Babara today she should not plan to return to Sosua until 3 days after stitches removed, assuming all continues to go well.

2. Barbara will be getting an injection daily for 15 days for blood circulation. This is to help insure clots don't form.

3. The site of the incision must be cleaned daily and the dressing changed.

4. You'll need help with a lot of things, especially at first--like bathing, washing your hair, etc.

5. When you leave the hospital, you will need crutches or a walker,depending on what the therapist and doctor think you are ready for. Barbara has crutches and is experienced in using them because of prior problems, but some people do better at first with a walker. Eventually you ill need a cane, but not at first.

6. You'll need a device that elevates the toilet seat. It is cleverly designed to mount on the toilet so that your leg and hip are at a better angle when seated on the toilet that is possible with the lower, regular toilet seat. The regular toilet puts too much stress on the hip.

7. The items mentioned in 5 and 6 are readily obtained from Farmaconal in Santo Domingo. I bought ours from the branch on Av. Jose Aybar Castellanos, telephone 381-0906. The crutches, a cane, and the toilet device cost about RD$3,000

We've been staying for many years at a small, cheap hotel on Calle Danae, which is very close to Clinica Abreu and the office of the doctor and therapist. This is working well for us because it is easy for the therapist to come to the hotel for Barbara's daily therapy, and for one of the nurses from Clinica Abreu to come by, after work, to give her the injection and change the dressing. Additionally, there are two young women at the hospital who are helping Barbara a great deal. One of them will sleep in our room when I am in Sosua in case she needs help during the night. She got up on her own last night and used the bathroom, something I didn't know until this morning, but when I am in Sosua I'll feel better knowing there is somebody taking care of her.

I mention all of the above so you will be aware of what comes after the operation and can include that in your planning.

If you would like the contact information for our surgeon, let me know. I highly recommend him. He is highly regarded by his peers and is very experienced with hip replacements.

Good luck with your hip replacement.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
Ken thank you very much.

Your so helpful.....
This is going to be so easy for me to do with all your help ..it's just to bad that Barbara had to go through all this pain for the info. to be so fresh in your mind.

Yes, I'd love your help to get in touch with the doctor. Also the info for the hotel would help me. I never spent much time in Santo Domingo. I had a hard time with the air and only stayed a few nites. I had a very hard time breathing there, my time in the city was spent with a towl over my mouth.

The recovery time seems to be like what I did this spring after my back surgery, I found that the walker was best for me and a big Thank God for the high seat that I also have to use at home even know.

Thank you again Ken ....and all the best to Barbara.

Please feel free to email me with any more info.
JUDYISNICE@YAHOO.COM

Judy

jonfromva

Jan 28, 2003
First I am sorry Robert for bumping all these threads but was gone awhile and just now having the chance to catch up.I really felt I needed to add my feelings on this as Ken helped me out so much on my visit to D.R.Ken I am so Happy that it is looking so good for Barbra.I only meet her once at the DR1 party on April 19th 2003.(I also had the pleasure of meeting Robert there also)Its my moms birthday thats why its so easy to remember.She was so nice to talk to and get to know a little.Ken took over half a day with me and his dentist helping me get a treatment plan for my dental work and then he took me to western union to change money.And he did this just because he wanted to help me just as he has helped so many other people with his useful and insightful information on just how things work and are in the D.R.Anyway just wanted to let you know I wont forget and have good thoughts for you and Barbra up here in chilly Virginia-All the Best-Jon