North Coast Roads Report: 2016-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Hi! I am looking at traveling on the following roads. Any updates on them?

Ruta Touristica, Highway 25 from Santiago to Montellano

Highway 21 from Moca to Sabaneta

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Touristica is better but not done. Moca to Sabeneta is curvy as hlll. We went over it last week, my friend Elias knows the potholes by name so not so bad. The new bridge was awesome.
It is always relative to where you are.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The poor road surface condition of the north coast highway in front of Coconut Palms(west of Cabarete near the entrance to Playa Encuentro) has been mentioned before as well as the numerous accidents that occur here as a result.

Over the weekend, yet another accident occured there as reported today in Detras del Rumor:

"Mientras que en Cabarete el choque múltiples de varios vehículos frente al proyecto habitacional Coconut Palm, dejó el saldo de varias personas heridas, dos de las cuales quedaron atrapadas en las carrocería de los automóviles involucrados."

Be careful when you're driving on this section of the highway.

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Hi! I am looking at traveling on the following roads. Any updates on them?

Highway 21 from Moca to Sabaneta

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Never been there, but...

Rough roads, pot holes, speed bumps invisible to the naked eye, stray dogs, burros, chickens pondering whether to cross or not, etc. Amet and PN looking for spare change.

Aggressive drivers trying to shave 3 seconds from their trip. I never understood that. Dominicans have huge amounts of time and spend lavishly, but if you put them behind the wheel, suddenly they need to save every possible second like they are clawing it back from death itself.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008

I rode this rode about 2 weeks ago after avoiding it for about 4 years. Unfortunately it is not ready for prime time. While not dangerous anymore (no large cutouts ) it is only about 25% done. The rest goes from bad to awful. While they are working on it , they need to devote much much more resources to the job. (I travelled the road to Costanza recently, a similar type road...it is in great condition...so it can be done).
I wish it wasn't so but I don't see myself going via Rutu Touristica for another 2 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The poor road surface condition of the north coast highway in front of Coconut Palms(west of Cabarete near the entrance to Playa Encuentro) has been mentioned before as well as the numerous accidents that occur here as a result.

Over the weekend, yet another accident occured there as reported today in Detras del Rumor:

"Mientras que en Cabarete el choque múltiples de varios vehículos frente al proyecto habitacional Coconut Palm, dejó el saldo de varias personas heridas, dos de las cuales quedaron atrapadas en las carrocería de los automóviles involucrados."

Be careful when you're driving on this section of the highway.

When the city has a mayor, now a former mayor, that it takes years to put in jail, he finally is in jail for corruption along comes another mayor who is just as bad if not worse at taking care of any local problems like filling pot holes. The north coast road is getting worse day by day and nothing is done between Cabarete and Sosua. There are also a few near Ultraviolet that will kill a motoconcho or two.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did the Sabaneta to Moca run yesterday.... very nice

New bridge a plus... not too many hoyos....
Relatively easy trip.... about 50 minutes

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Updates on next Monday would be good here...for the scheduled/proposed general protest/shutdown.

Anybody hear anything?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A couple of trips from Sosua to Santo Domingo over the past month confirm that the road work between Puerto Plata and Navarette should be finished in about 100 years.

Closer to Cabarete and Sosua, the potholes on the main road continue to receive no attention at all. None. Not even a moment's worth by those who should fix them.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Did a round trip to santiago today.
The Imbert-Navarette road is still a mess.
Full of lorries.....chaos.
Somewhere between Altamira and Navarette they are knocking boulders off a mountain top......dr estylé..... onto the road.
Last time i passed, which was 1 month + ago, they were allready doing that.....talk about efficency :( :(
So the traffic is stopped both ways with huge queues.
Drivers are a tad more civilised now, as I only noticed 2 or 3 SUVs jumping the queue with me ;) ;)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Two years since the rains ruined the highways and the Navarette-Puerto Plata stretch still isn't finished, the "Ruta Touristica" is only 25% complete and the rest looks like it was carpet bombed, the route over the bridge in Jamao is getting worse due to the shabby, substandard patch jobs they do here on potholes. Better pray we don't have another bad, wet, November or all the work that has been done will be set back another year or two.

Meanwhile, I've seen fotos of beautiful modern highways with shoulders, striping, and guard rails, that have been built between small mountains towns and also in remote areas of the southwest that have very little traffic, local or tourist - while at the same time a major artery like the main north coast hightway continues to deteriorate badly.

Either some big wig politicos have vacation villas in these areas or the government has absolutely no sense of priorities - or both.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Two years since the rains ruined the highways and the Navarette-Puerto Plata stretch still isn't finished, the "Ruta Touristica" is only 25% complete and the rest looks like it was carpet bombed, the route over the bridge in Jamao is getting worse due to the shabby, substandard patch jobs they do here on potholes. Better pray we don't have another bad, wet, November or all the work that has been done will be set back another year or two.

Meanwhile, I've seen fotos of beautiful modern highways with shoulders, striping, and guard rails, that have been built between small mountains towns and also in remote areas of the southwest that have very little traffic, local or tourist - while at the same time a major artery like the main north coast hightway continues to deteriorate badly.

Either some big wig politicos have vacation villas in these areas or the government has absolutely no sense of priorities - or both.

Every time we find a beautifully paved road in an odd place, Mr AE says “A general must live here”.

Status
Not open for further replies.