North Coast Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
akareese said:
Where are you from? The only reason I ask is that my wife is pregnant and we have been planning this trip for over a year - obviously she was not pregnant when we started to plan - with only three weeks left to our arrivial and the media doing what it does it has made my wife a little skeptical of going on this trip - Do you have any insight that would calm her senses -
anything would be appreciated.
Thanks kindly looking foward to traveling

I am from Ottawa,Ontario Canada. Best info and advice for your wife is from the family doctor, who will advise you as to precautionary measures if neccessary. Congratulations on your up coming baby, and just to let you know, when I was 4 months pregnant I traveled extensively and had little trouble. May want to talk to your doc about "eco-flight syndrome" /cramping/clotting in the veins from long flights/road trips while pregnant. Make sure to get up and walk every thirty minutes, stretch, and stay hydrated while flying. There are special stocking/socks your wife can were to keep the blood flowing and can be purchased at your local pharmacy. Make sure any over the counter drugs you may take for flu/cold/loose bowels will not hinder any other drug you may be taking due to a pre-existing condition (i.e. heart meds/blood pressure etc). Don't forget to continue to take your vitimins (especially those for pregnant mothers). You may be on holiday but baby is not and he/she needs those nutrients for strong growth!. Your family doctor is your best friend and will be the best advisor for more serious health issues while travelling. All cases and requirements for travel are different, so give your doc a call and follow his advice.
Enjoy your holiday and take lots of pictures. One day you can show them to baby and tell him/her the story of his first trip abroad.
Cheers
Toby

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Lambada said:
I also think HB they need to check the swimming pools..........water is easily ingested in a pool & if contaminated bottoms have already been there..........
which is why I was suggesting people at the Bachata should swim in the sea.

As HB pointed out water may be the answer, although swimming pool water is cleaned and disinfected with clorine/chemicals that will kill most anything. A disinfection protocol should be used on the whole of the facility, and this would include a full inspection of the water systems for consumption. Waste water spills are common all over the world, and can contaminate shore line/land areas even though they are not visible. Dumping is a problem and HB may be on to something...
Health Canada does inform other countries as to public health issues and regular updates and trading of information takes place.
Toby

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
My wife and I have been here in Sosua for two weeks. Not staying at AI. We eat out three meals a day at all kind of local establishments and are not taking any medications. We feel fine except one night of hard partying. We are going to be here for two more weeks and are not worried. Use comman sense. and as Marco from Rocky's said, the town is full of tourists.
Rami

akareese

Jan 29, 2005
Thanks for the advice

Thanks so much for the advice
I appreciate anything anyone has to offer, its so difficult trying to weigh what the media says and what others have as first hand accounts. What you have said makes perfect sense the family doctor is the best informed. Tahnks for the well wishes - looking foward to fetting someplace warm, wherever that lead us
James
toby said:
I am from Ottawa,Ontario Canada. Best info and advice for your wife is from the family doctor, who will advise you as to precautionary measures if neccessary. Congratulations on your up coming baby, and just to let you know, when I was 4 months pregnant I traveled extensively and had little trouble. May want to talk to your doc about "eco-flight syndrome" /cramping/clotting in the veins from long flights/road trips while pregnant. Make sure to get up and walk every thirty minutes, stretch, and stay hydrated while flying. There are special stocking/socks your wife can were to keep the blood flowing and can be purchased at your local pharmacy. Make sure any over the counter drugs you may take for flu/cold/loose bowels will not hinder any other drug you may be taking due to a pre-existing condition (i.e. heart meds/blood pressure etc). Don't forget to continue to take your vitimins (especially those for pregnant mothers). You may be on holiday but baby is not and he/she needs those nutrients for strong growth!. Your family doctor is your best friend and will be the best advisor for more serious health issues while travelling. All cases and requirements for travel are different, so give your doc a call and follow his advice.
Enjoy your holiday and take lots of pictures. One day you can show them to baby and tell him/her the story of his first trip abroad.
Cheers
Toby

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Today as I was thinking about all of this mess, it came to me that Dominican authorities just have to request the Canadian authorities to follow up on this. This is crucial!.....So, it seems to me that the Canadian health services would be doing everyone a big vfavor if they interviewed the people who got sick and traced their movements.

i can only speak from the experience of using Signature Vacations to book a charter, so i don't know if other tour companies have the same procedure. if you are sick, at your request, the local Signature rep at the hotel will complete a 3 page form on the problem you or your family members have expereinced. i had to listen to one passenger's life story while waitiing to speak to the rep the other day.

you need to itemize all that you have eaten/drank over the 48 hour period prior to becoming ill. you need to say which restaurant and bar each meal/drink came from, you need to list all the places you have been other than the hotel in that same period. i don't know what they do with the collected info, but they at least appear to want to know how these problems are spread.

i just got back last night from a week diving trip with the boys in Huatulco, Mexico. we went A-I. everyone at the hotels-there were 2 different hotel chains side by side on the bay-and on the plane home was complaining of being sick and how it ruined their holiday. it actually was very tiresome to have to listen to this over and over again. one passenger was trying to collect names on the plane of everyone who was sick. i think it hits some people harder than others and that some do just like to complain. we all had the sh*ts one night but it didn't stop the next days dive. the only thing the 4 of us had in common was drinking the bottled water.

Escott said:
Perhaps they got sick coming down on a Canadian plane with bad food

scott, you haven't travelled on a Canadian charter flight. they don't even serve a meal anymore. which is no great loss.

mob :classic:

chica

Feb 9, 2004
Has someone heard some news about the situation in the Riu Hotels in POP?
Are there still so much sick people are is the situation getting better right now.

butterer

Jan 22, 2005
I was sick at Riu Merengue

Iam sorry to say that all the bad publicity about the Riu`s in the DR are true.
I returned Jan 17th and within 48 hours my husband and i became extremely ill. There were more than just a few people sick at the Riu`s. And even on the flight home. I have been to the Riu Merengue 5 times in the last two years I was even there 2 weeks Nov DEC the month before. I will definitely return back to the Riu but not until the sickness is gone. And while I was there the Riu Bachatcha had 8 health inspections in one week. They don;t do that if only a few are sick. Try over 60 % sick at that hotel. The Riu`s did close and are not taking anyone till Feb. and only after the place had been throughly cleaned.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
The word on the street

Terrorists have targeted the tourist destinations: cruise ships, All inclusives; Toronto, etc. Random acts of illness: SARS. stomach flus. Just watch 24 on TV. And vote for George Bush.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This problem seems to come up more and more. I just wonder if it has to do with a lack of quality control due to companies cutting corners in order to make more profit. When you walk the line you sometimes fall off. If you lower your control standards, lower the quality of your employees, lower the quality of your suppliers. Quality control consumes money and companies are trying all kinds of ways to cut corners.

I know one thing...we will not be returning to the RIU's anytime soon. That kind of advertising will kill a company.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sorry, but I don't think so.

butterer said:
The Riu`s did close and are not taking anyone till Feb. and only after the place had been throughly cleaned.
I am not sure where your information comes from but here is part of the text from an e-mail from Riu North American Consumer Marketing dated Monday of this week:

"Puerto Plata RIU hotels are 100% functioning, mantaining an average occupancy of 90%. Only a few TTOO's have their sales on standby".

It is true that several North American Tour Operators (including Sunquest) are not sending their guests here - but the resorts are open.

Gregg

akareese

Jan 29, 2005
a little late

Not that I don't think what you've said is possible but come on "Vote for George Bush" It's a little late to state that - elections were four months ago - and if you believe everything you see on tv we'd never leave the house

Gabriela said:
Terrorists have targeted the tourist destinations: cruise ships, All inclusives; Toronto, etc. Random acts of illness: SARS. stomach flus. Just watch 24 on TV. And vote for George Bush.

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
north coast sickness

hi our weekend papers here in england was again saying the riu hotels are still suffering with sickness said some so ill could only get about in wheelchairs

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Well, we will be in Playa Dorado in March, andI just came from a regular physical and my doctor went to this site: CDC.GOV-travelershealth and told me that there have been reported cases of malaria on the North Coast :cry: and now I have a perscription for Analen and Cipro for any case of severe runs because of the flu like symptoms occuring. Not to mention, the Star and Tribune newspaper ran an article last week on the riu resorts and TransGlobal rebooking different hotels to people going there. They had many families who had just come back and said that everyone was very sick that stayed there. Is there anyone who can tell us the straight scoop???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Doc's geography

disciplemckie said:
Well, we will be in Playa Dorado in March, andI just came from a regular physical and my doctor went to this site: CDC.GOV-travelershealth and told me that there have been reported cases of malaria on the North Coast :cry: and now I have a perscription for Analen and Cipro for any case of severe runs because of the flu like symptoms occuring. Not to mention, the Star and Tribune newspaper ran an article last week on the riu resorts and TransGlobal rebooking different hotels to people going there. They had many families who had just come back and said that everyone was very sick that stayed there. Is there anyone who can tell us the straight scoop???
Perhaps your doctor could take a lesson in geography and dates.
There is no mention of Malaria on the North coast, and all case reported were between November 3rd and January 2nd.
Time to change docs.
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/malaria_dr_2004.htm

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
disciplemckie said:
I moderate Debbie's Dominican Travel forums and Rusty's "Unofficial" Riu Website Discussion Boards. The only Malaria Traveller's advisories have been for La Altagracia province in the extreme east and Duarte province and the advisory for Duarte province was rescinded by the CDC on February 4, 2005. There is not nor ever (during this outbreak) has been an advisory for the North Coast.

Gregg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's shameful

I do understand and appreciate how unpleasant it is to be ill while on vacation, specially when it's a disease as severe as Malaria, but the poor reporting by the Canadian press, irresponsible doctors and other rumour mongers is downright shameful.
I wonder how these people sleep at night.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Rocky said:
I do understand and appreciate how unpleasant it is to be ill while on vacation, specially when it's a disease as severe as Malaria, but the poor reporting by the Canadian press, irresponsible doctors and other rumour mongers is downright shameful.
I wonder how these people sleep at night.

You know, those reporters informing the public about a real health threat in the DR, do not "unfortunately-own property or businesses in the DR"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
tomgallo said:
You know, those reporters informing the public about a real health threat in the DR, do not "unfortunately-own property or businesses in the DR"
What exactly are you insinuating?
It sounds to me that you are trying to say that we are misleading people when we say that we have no malaria here and that a lot of these reports have been exagerated.
I sincerely hope this is not the case.
You could say all sorts of nasty things about me or some other upstanding DR1 members, but if you are questioning my integrity, you are sorely mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.