Norwegian Cruise Line is booking a La Romana cruise

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Norweigan-Joy-Norwegian-Cruise-Line-e1617803596667.jpg

Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is accepting reservations for cruises to La Romana Port in August 2021. The NCL also announced cruises are planned for Jamaica and Greece.

The world’s fourth-largest cruise brand on Tuesday said it would resume operations on 25 July with a single vessel, the 2,200-passenger Norwegian Jade, sailing to the Greek Islands out of Piraeus, Greece (the port for Athens).

Two more Norwegian ships — the 3,802-passenger Norwegian Joy and 2,394-passenger Norwegian Gem — will begin Caribbean sailings out of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and La Romana, Dominican Republic, on 7 August and 15 August, respectively, the line said.

“The growing availability of the Covid-19 vaccine has been a game changer. The vaccine, combined with our science-backed health and safety protocols, will help us provide our guests with what we believe will be the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlterEgo

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You would have to be nuts to willingly put yourself in a crowded cruise ship petri dish before the worldwide infection rate for Covid has fallen dramatically to low single digits. Even vaccinated people can be spreaders and become infected. Cruise ships are no different than airplanes only larger and usually with more passengers. We have already seen the reluctance of some countries to allow these disease infected ships to dock in port. Way too much risk for me to even consider as a possible vacation option at this time. I do understand the desire of these companies to get the cash flowing again. Offer the service and some will take it but doing so defies common sense which has always seemed to be lacking throughout this pandemic which is why countries are being locked down yet again. I can think of nothing worse than be stranded indefinitely on a ship that is not allowed to come into port. Happened to many first time around and there is no reason to think it won't happen again.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You would have to be nuts to willingly put yourself in a crowded cruise ship petri dish before the worldwide infection rate for Covid has fallen dramatically to low single digits. Even vaccinated people can be spreaders and become infected. Cruise ships are no different than airplanes only larger and usually with more passengers. We have already seen the reluctance of some countries to allow these disease infected ships to dock in port. Way too much risk for me to even consider as a possible vacation option at this time. I do understand the desire of these companies to get the cash flowing again. Offer the service and some will take it but doing so defies common sense which has always seemed to be lacking throughout this pandemic which is why countries are being locked down yet again. I can think of nothing worse than be stranded indefinitely on a ship that is not allowed to come into port. Happened to many first time around and there is no reason to think it won't happen again.

I rarely agree with you on this stuff but here you have a very valid point. I'm not concerned with getting it myself but I would be incredibly concerned about being denied to dock and get off the boat. Like you said, it has happened and it could happen again.

I've never taken a cruise and wouldn't even think of it now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You put cruise ships in same category as airplanes??
only in so much as there is usually lots of people close together and employees moving from person to person providing individual services. Over time one inevitably comes into close contact with many other passengers as you pass each other. Cruise ships do have an outside which is better than planes but still lots of opportunity to get too close to the wrong person or have an employee bring the virus directly to you via someone else they served. Cruise ships are well known for viral outbreaks of different sorts that spread easily. Toss some more or less asymptomatic carrier with a very communicable Covid variant into the mix and off it goes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
johne

add to the cruise problem that it lasts a bit longer than a flight......
and has serious intermingling.....

Historically, - yes - they have been hotbeds of disease...

ANd then -
who will let you disembark ?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
johne

add to the cruise problem that it lasts a bit longer than a flight......
and has serious intermingling.....

Historically, - yes - they have been hotbeds of disease...

ANd then -
who will let you disembark ?
WW
You don't think I'm in favor of cruises over planes do you? Planes are by far the safest mode of travel pre covid and during covid. I was trying to be gentle with his comparison. I have flown every month for the past 15 months (except the time our border was shut down)without a problem.