Norwegian Escape gets stuck leaving Puerto Plata; Cruise Fever report says ship returns to port

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Norwegian-Scape-Listin-Diario-e1647350623691.jpeg

The Norwegian Cruise Line ship, the Norwegian Escape, was leaving Taino Bay cruise terminal in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic when the ship went aground on Monday, 14 March 2022 around 5pm. Puerto Plata was the first call for a seven-day Caribbean cruise that had started in Port Canaveral, Florida on 12 March. The ship was headed for the second stop in St. Thomas.

The official statement of the cruise line:“During the afternoon of March 14, 2022, Norwegian Escape made contact with the channel bed as it was departing Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. All guests and crew are safe, and there are no reports of damages to the ship. Operations on board have not been impacted, and all services and activities continue as scheduled. We are currently working on a solution to free the ship and ready her for a safe departure.”

As reported, tugboats investigated yet were...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would this not be the responsibility of the (likely now former) Captain of said cruse ship?
Pilot error?

How did his sonar and charts not pick this up?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Would this not be the responsibility of the (likely now former) Captain of said cruse ship?
Pilot error?

Winds pushed him onto the bar. Already pulled off and back at the dock being revised. I wonder if it was the Captain or the Harbor Pilot?

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Pilot error?

Sonar only shows whats under you, not in front. But the nav system should have warned him being out of the channel. Who didn't se that? Bet they ain't sayin'.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
So these ships don't have forward and side look sonars? I would have thought they did.
Generally, most everything is several thousand feet below them. I never bother with mine till I'm in the channel either. And some are pretty narrow. Well for me anyway.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This will probably be the last time said Captain sails into Puerto Plata. This could have ended very badly.

Reactions: windeguy

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Inexcusable pilot error.
With ships this size there should be no errors.
Wind speed is easily known if you check.
Maybe lucky and no damage to the vessel.
Why are these cruise ships always in the news for some nonsense or other?

Magarito

Mar 22, 2022
Coral Gables Florida
It is the Duty of the Maritime Authority to investigate the incident and ascertain the root causes of the grounding.
Remember that in Maritime law, The Master is responsible. The Pilot is only an agent of the Master to assist in local knowledge of the area.to give advise as to weather conditions, winds, tides and chammel obtructions and hazzards.
The Dominican Authorities must dilligemntly investigate this incident and review the state implementation of the international conventions and regulations. To ensure that we are fully compliant with international requirements.
Our lack of compliance has direct impact on our cruise industry business and sustainability.
Authorities willmhave to analyse the operationalprocedures of the port . Need to admit that the high wind and adverse weather conditions impact the safety of operations of these mega cruise vessels.
The lack of proper effective powered tugs, and the capacity and training of personnel must be reviewed.
Remember:
The pilot is, after all, a Navigator by proffession (Like Us) but but with the added advantange of local knowledge. The pilot is there to provide advice: He legally has the conduct of the vessel whilst the Master remains in command retaining the overall responsibility for the safety of the vessel, which includes the effectiveness of the bridge team. It is essential to ensure that the Pilot becomes an integral part of the Bridge team and thatm he is not left unsupported in his role.
IMO Res. A893(21) Appraissal
All information relevant to the contemplated voyage or passage should be considered.
Question: Did the Master and the Pilot discussed the passage plan and agree?
Did they analize the safety conditions at the time of departure?

CdeW Magarito

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi, some good questions above. However be reminded a brief on the bridge is done well before a pilot boards, The factors and mistakes are always thoroughly investigated. The Captain is responsible period. Weather is always part of the briefs.

I do not comment much on this site. Most of the comments in this thread are laughable

Magarito

Mar 22, 2022
Coral Gables Florida
True, the bridge team brief is done before the pilot comes on board, (If he does). As Master I always ensured the pilot was aware of the maneuvering plan and also had him acknowledge our discussion in the pilot ticket.

I agree with you on the threads comments, but due the importance of the Taino port to Puerto Plata and the Tourism and cruise industry in D.R. Thought is a good way to raise awareness to the Safety and compliance situation in the Domincan Ports.