notarized documents for minors traveling with one parent?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
N&D said:
So in other words, if am in DR and get into an argument with my newborn son's father who is Dominican, I won't be able to leave back to the states if my husband does not sign a notorized letter and either I have to stay in DR or leave my newborn son behind? I understand the reasons for the letters but it kinda bites. thanks

My understanding is that you would have to divorce your husband and be granted by a court legal guardianship over the child in order to leave with the child.

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
Yes I know it bites

I always have to bite my tounge and play nice,i always feel bad for the kids because they get made to feel that they are putting such a burden on her(my ex)In fact the only solece i get is that she would be unable to leave the country with the kids without my consent,which is somewhat calming(although the request has never come)

N&D said:
So in other words, if am in DR and get into an argument with my newborn son's father who is Dominican, I won't be able to leave back to the states if my husband does not sign a notorized letter and either I have to stay in DR or leave my newborn son behind? I understand the reasons for the letters but it kinda bites. thanks

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
oaktown75 said:
I always have to bite my tounge and play nice,i always feel bad for the kids because they get made to feel that they are putting such a burden on her(my ex)In fact the only solece i get is that she would be unable to leave the country with the kids without my consent,which is somewhat calming(although the request has never come)

As far as my eleven year old daughter I know where your coming from, I usually bite my tounge and play nice with her father for her sake only although she knows her father pissess me off and doesn't deserve niceness. I like to travel back and forth and take my daughter and he hassles me. One thing I would NEVER do is deny my daughter her father. if he wants to see her anytime despite any arguements we may have had he could. I am still with my newborn son's dominican father and I hope If anything goes wrong we can remain civil for the sake of my son. I need to continue to travel back and forth so that both my kids can see they're families in the states and DR. the notorized letters are good, by like I said bite, especially for people who have no negative or bad intentions. Just travel.

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Just travelled last week with the same problem

We spent a good 4 days going back and forth with my ex getting paper signed and going to the Consultate here in Miami. Bottom line...Yes they say you need the paper work...Guess what... no one ever asked me for a thing. I was shocked. Her passport was enough. Better safe than sorry. I traveled spirit air though. Hope this helps

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ok, just got back with my baby daughter. I only had a notirized letter from the father and that's all they needed. This is the first time they actually kept the letter tho.

Also, I had mentioned before that they had me pay for additional taxes last time I traveled with my kids because they stayed more than 15 days. I was told by another traveler that there is not real set amount for what they charge. My immigrations agent asked for $20 for each child and this woman told me that she has paid $10 and left. So next time, I guess I'll haggle a little to see what price adjustment I can get... It is DR after all, no?

bronkrdr45

Sep 17, 2004
This Just in from the Domincan Republic Tourist Board.!

I also posted this on the Legal Forum

OK....I just received this email from the Dominican Republic Tourist Board!!!!!....and I am printing it and taking it with us !

Good morning Kathy,

Like I said before ?just to keep it in the safe side?, bring a NOTARIZED LETTER from the parents, but she is a grown up, therefore she just need a consent letter.

"One office stated that if the child was over 14, a legalization form from the consulate of the Dominican is NOT required - we would just need the usual Birth Certificate with raised seal, photo I.D. and a Notarized (within the states)Travel Authorization from her parents." THIS IS CORRECT!
Hope this information is good enough.

Wishing you a nice vacation,

Mercedes

Mercedes G. Perello
SE Regional Director
Dominican Republic Tourist Board
248 NW 42nd Ave. St. 100
Miami, FL, 33126
PH: 305-444-4592; FAX: 305-444-4845
E-mail: mperello@sectur.gov.do; www.dominicana.com.do

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Rob, not sure if you can sum this up in the legal forum or what. but I think that the short of the long should be summarized somewhere so that others can find it easier:

If kids are traveling with only ONE parent, they need a notirized consent letter.

If kids not traveling with either parents, need notirized consent letter with Dominican consulate seal. Cost $50-$75.

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
News to me . . .

I've been traveling back and forth to the DR with my 8 yr. old son for several years now and never been asked for any kind of letter, proof, consular documents etc. (I've traveled all over - - Europe, South America, etc. - - with him since he was a wee bairn - - and never been asked for any kind of documentation.) It's difficult to imagine an airline (as the OP reported) asking for such documentation . . .

It seems like many of the posters who have experienced problems or have concerns are single moms . . . . and I suspect there's an element of harrassment involved in all this.

Probably carrying a cell phone with speed dial set to the absent parents' number would be a much cheaper and more hassle-free way to manage possible situations like this.