Nothing new in Haiti; choice of president and prime minister was not by consensus of transition council

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To make up for the shortfall of people like yourself, I'm thinking.

Last I checked... The only cost that hope has is the negative self... And I've got no problem letting go of the negative where Haiti is concerned... And will even spend time encouraging others to do the same.
There is no shortfall of people that realize there is NO hope in Haiti nor for Haiti.
I certainly realize that little will change there and constantly wonder why people still have any hope at all.
Perhaps in many generations things could improve.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean MJDR:
The only cost that hope has is the negative self

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
There is no shortfall of people that realize there is NO hope in Haiti nor for Haiti.
I certainly realize that little will change there and constantly wonder why people still have any hope at all.
Perhaps in many generations things could improve.

As I said... Shortfall.

The obtuse common thinker only sees to the end of their nose... And therefore concludes that purpose only goes as far as the end of their nose.

In the case of Haiti... Many who choose to think there is no hope for Haiti are only exposing their human character shortfall.

I have a friend here in Austin whose son was an exceptional junior golfer, with the promise of a college scholarship... Until he started doing drugs.
A few years in, and after numerous reform attempts — read lots of money spent — his father, who loved him (apple of his eye kind of thing), ended up throwing him out of his house... I guess he was in his late teens by then. Long story short, his son got a teenager pregnant, moved into an apartment with her, and one night had some friends over. One friend brought a gun. My friend's son, in an attempt to, it is claimed, grab the gun away from the person who brought it, causing the gun to go off... Killing his best friend whom he had known since early childhood (his parents and his best friend's parents were longtime friends). That was about eight years ago, and my friend's son went emotionally into a tailspin... To say nothing of the legal problems that cost a whole lot of money to overcome.

Today... As a result of his father resetting their relationship... Together, they worked through the problems being faced, and today his son is clean and has a thriving business custom-building computers.

And I know one son isn't a country... But in Jamaica, there's an old saying... One, one coco full basket.

The principle that undergirds the thinking of one, one coco full basket, is taking place in Haiti as we speak, as there are many small initiatives... Private initiatives... Successfully taking place all over Haiti even now... Even with all the violence taking place in specific urban/suburban areas.

And this activity is taking place because there are people, many people, who don't hold to the shortfall of only seeing to the end of their nose.

And yes... The view is in the generations to come things could improve.

And what's wrong with long-term thinking... It sure worked for John D. Rockefeller... And the generations of his family that came after him.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

To be positive requires giving up being negative... The cost of being positive is the giving up of being negative.

Hope that clears it up for you.|

On a side note... Playing golf taught me a lot about giving up the negative to be able to be positive.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
To be positive requires giving up being negative... The cost of being positive is the giving up of being negative.

On a side note... Playing golf taught me a lot about giving up the negative to be able to be positive.
Hey, there's no limit to what can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
keep shaking your head better yet burry it the sand. Haiti is a failed state that cannot participate in world economics. Other than mangos, vegetables and a few tons of cheap clothing material they do not have a cash crop. They cannot participate because they can't communicate with anyone except those that speak their gibberish.
I just finished reading a book called "Aid State", which I first saw discussed here on DR1, about how most of the aid gathered after the 2010 earthquake was used by big businesses in failed building and industrial projects, which moved a lot of people from agriculture to live in slums. At the same time there was the destruction of most of Haiti's natural rice production which fed most of the population and of which a lot was exported.

Most of the Haitians I know communicate very well in Spanish with some French and to a lesser extent English. As for the Haitian Creole language, do you describe any language that you are unable to understand "gibberish"?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I just finished reading a book called "Aid State", which I first saw discussed here on DR1, about how most of the aid gathered after the 2010 earthquake was used by big businesses in failed building and industrial projects, which moved a lot of people from agriculture to live in slums. At the same time there was the destruction of most of Haiti's natural rice production which fed most of the population and of which a lot was exported.

Most of the Haitians I know communicate very well in Spanish with some French and to a lesser extent English. As for the Haitian Creole language, do you describe any language that you are unable to understand "gibberish"?
Well you again show how little you know about Haiti, me or anything for that matter.There will always be apologists and finger pointers. You have plenty of company. People have been blaming others for their position in life for centuries. Thankfully most do something about it, while others sit on a wall under a tree and chant woe woe is me.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Haitian creole is more of a dialect than a language, but don’t worry French is a dead language. Soon, the old French guard will be gone and generations of domestic terrorist border crossers will have no skills to make wine. It will be up to Spain and Italy! With the tin can Airbus as France’s Mona Lisa, soon it will be a memory just like Madame DeFarge. The only traces of the language will appear in the Haitian Creole jibberish and some cookware brands. Haiti will eventually fall into the sea and the DR will toss any illegals remaining that aren’t needed for construction or sugar cane work.

• Love
Reactions: windeguy and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hey, there's no limit to what can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit.
There are certain things, for example, that cannot be fixed. Haiti is one of those things.
That is beyond the limits of reality in anyone's current lifetime.

Some people, like the new existentialist philosopher in our midst, confuse realism with negativism.
They are not one in the same.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am a realist. You might be confusing realism with negativism. Happens all the time. Some things cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well you again show how little you know about Haiti, me or anything for that matter.There will always be apologists and finger pointers. You have plenty of company. People have been blaming others for their position in life for centuries. Thankfully most do something about it, while others sit on a wall under a tree and chant woe woe is me.
You are right that I know little about you other than what you say here on DR1. I made no comment about you, but simply asked a question.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Regarding Haiti... Thankfully... There are some who are doing something about it... Including Haitian citizens.

But no man is an island... We all need help at some stage in our life (perhaps even you, Big)... And to turn and beat on others who, for whatever failing of their own, are suffering, is to be a hypocrite.

And no... I am not a person who pulls out my wallet every time I see someone in need... But neither am I a person who simply turns away by ignoring the fact that there is a need.

And no... I'm not demanding this disposition for all... I'm simply saying to take an honest look and to speak in an honest way regarding the reality of what we are seeing... Only then can a proper, workable solution be identified — because the real problem has been identified — developed, and implemented.
Some here may have read about the project I'm working on, that involves giving young Haitians, who no fault of their own (they were brought to the DR as little children, by parents looking for work/better living circumstances), have received some support, care, and education from someone, who for the last sixteen years has given herself, in the DR, to provide this for these young Haitians, in the hope that they will be able to conduct themselves in a proper social manner and become productive members of whatever society they live in.

This person, an American who presently lives in Puerto Plata, after finishing college (Virginia Tech), gave up all her previous aspirations of working for some big company in a high-paying job to come to the DR to try and help the young children she had seen roaming the streets of Puerto Plata when she had visited the DR the year before... It was in 2007 when Caitlin created Project Esperanza... Today, she has a school that cares for 250+ kids, and has successfully taken many off the streets over the sixteen years she has given herself to doing just that... And does so with the help of many local Dominicans.

Caitlan, for me, is a person to be admired... And even supported... This is what I'm hoping the project that myself and my wife are working on can one day do.

And I didn't suddenly wake up one morning with the thought of heading to the DR to save Haitian children... It's just not how I know to do business.
First, my wife spoke to me about her desire to retire in the DR, which I kind of ignored for a couple of years. Then, for some reason, around November/December of 2022, I decided to look at what buying a little house with maybe an acre of land in the DR would cost... Maybe just to let my wife know I wasn't completely dismissing her retirement desire... But then I happened to come across some land way up in the DR mountains that caught my attention, and I showed it to my wife... Who, immediately asked what we were going to do with all that land... See, she was thinking of an acre of land... But this property was a few hundred acres.

Go big or go home, right.

Anyway... Long story kind of short... I began to do what I've done all of my professional life... I began to roll an idea around in my head... An idea that has grown into a vocational training center that the kids who have graduated from Caitlin's school can attend and gain vocational training... And perhaps, do so with the intention of returning to Haiti as mature, self-reliant, trained producers... In the fields of agriculture and forestry... Which are two of the foundational needs inherent in any rebuilding undertaking for Haiti.

Although this, developing a vocational school, is something I've never done... I have a vision that I believe is worth pursuing... And, as I have pursued it, I've found that others, some whom I don't even know, have picked up something that I've said and have had their interest piqued and asked for more info on it... Even right here on this website.

For that I'm grateful.

Reactions: JD Jones

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I am a realist. You might be confusing realism with negativism. Happens all the time. Some things cannot be fixed.
Haiti is one of those things.

I am as real as real gets, windeguy.

But perhaps we have two different views of what "...realist..." actually defines... Which is understandable, as we are different people with different life experiences... From which we both draw on to define our view/opinion of what "... realists..." are.

I would hope that you do realize that you don't own the definition of "...realist...", as you don't possess all information about all things... Which would be required for someone to actually, honestly claim to be a "...realist...".

So no, windeguy... You're just a "...realist..." according to your spin of what it means... As it is with all properly functioning people.

And no... I'm not confused about realism and negativism... Your own words clearly expose your negativism toward Haiti.

Perhaps what you were trying to articulate was the difference between realism and romanticism, which is a more meaningful antonym comparison.

Pessimism, although not exactly negativism, does lean on negativism in order to express an undesirable outcome anticipated from a given situation... Which is actually what you're doing... You're being pessimistic about Haiti... Which requires you to hold to... Yep... You got it... Negativity.

And don't blame me for pointing out your error in understanding English grammar... As your own words are what exposed it.

Thankfully... Like Haiti... I believe it can be "...fixed...".

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I hope this video is allowed here on this thread about Haiti... It's content presents the thinking of a young woman who made a choice to give up the then aspirations of her life and move to the DR to help Haitian kids whom she had seem roaming the streets of Puerto Plata (I think it was Puerto Plata).
So this video touches on the DR, Haiti, and one person's effort to help the existing situation between the two.

I hope some here will take the time to look at it.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Regarding Haiti... Thankfully... There are some who are doing something about it... Including Haitian citizens.

But no man is an island... We all need help at some stage in our life (perhaps even you, Big)... And to turn and beat on others who, for whatever failing of their own, are suffering, is to be a hypocrite.

And no... I am not a person who pulls out my wallet every time I see someone in need... But neither am I a person who simply turns away by ignoring the fact that there is a need.

And no... I'm not demanding this disposition for all... I'm simply saying to take an honest look and to speak in an honest way regarding the reality of what we are seeing... Only then can a proper, workable solution be identified — because the real problem has been identified — developed, and implemented.
Some here may have read about the project I'm working on, that involves giving young Haitians, who no fault of their own (they were brought to the DR as little children, by parents looking for work/better living circumstances), have received some support, care, and education from someone, who for the last sixteen years has given herself, in the DR, to provide this for these young Haitians, in the hope that they will be able to conduct themselves in a proper social manner and become productive members of whatever society they live in.

This person, an American who presently lives in Puerto Plata, after finishing college (Virginia Tech), gave up all her previous aspirations of working for some big company in a high-paying job to come to the DR to try and help the young children she had seen roaming the streets of Puerto Plata when she had visited the DR the year before... It was in 2007 when Caitlin created Project Esperanza... Today, she has a school that cares for 250+ kids, and has successfully taken many off the streets over the sixteen years she has given herself to doing just that... And does so with the help of many local Dominicans.

Caitlan, for me, is a person to be admired... And even supported... This is what I'm hoping the project that myself and my wife are working on can one day do.

And I didn't suddenly wake up one morning with the thought of heading to the DR to save Haitian children... It's just not how I know to do business.
First, my wife spoke to me about her desire to retire in the DR, which I kind of ignored for a couple of years. Then, for some reason, around November/December of 2022, I decided to look at what buying a little house with maybe an acre of land in the DR would cost... Maybe just to let my wife know I wasn't completely dismissing her retirement desire... But then I happened to come across some land way up in the DR mountains that caught my attention, and I showed it to my wife... Who, immediately asked what we were going to do with all that land... See, she was thinking of an acre of land... But this property was a few hundred acres.

Anyway... Long story kind of short... I began to do what I've done all of my professional life... I began to roll an idea around in my head... An idea that has grown into a vocational training center that the kids who have graduated from Caitlin's school can attend and gain vocational training... And perhaps, do so with the intention of returning to Haiti as mature, self-reliant, trained producers... In the fields of agriculture and forestry... Which are two of the foundational needs inherent in any rebuilding undertaking for Haiti.

Although this, developing a vocational school, is something I've never done... I have a vision that I believe is worth pursuing... And, as I have pursued it, I've found that others, some whom I don't even know, have picked up something that I've said and have had their interest piqued and asked for more info on it... Even right here on this website.

For that I'm grateful.
Sorry, I donated at the office.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

For that I'm grateful.
Great, another form 1023, 990PF!

• Love
Reactions: Big
Status
Not open for further replies.