Number of expat in POP province

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What's your monthly budget????
Nothing more depressing than seeing those old expats walking around with not enough money to enjoy life.
AND, it is NOT an inexpensive place to live a nice life!!!!
Single guy, Santiago,$2,000 a month, and "UP",.Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay "UP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,.If you plan on coming to the DR to start a business to make ends meet,.DON'T!!!!
Have ALL the money you needto live on, THEN, you can start a business, if successful, that's your "Fun Money"!!!!!
MANY have tried ,MANY have Failed, and borrowed the airfare home!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
How many expats here between Puerto Plata and Cabarete including Susia? All of us. Millions. Cannot go anywhere without stumbling over expats. Even filling up the guaguas. I remember a Jewish cousin who went to Israel and came back in two years, his complaint was too many Jews in there, that is how I feel about the North Coast, more Americans and Canadians than ants.

You can't swing a dead cat here in Cabarete without hitting an Expat. Like cockroaches, crawling all over the place ! :cheeky: If i bump into one more person that I know from back home in Philly, I'm gonna scream!

Every time i go into Jose Oshea's, its like a high school reunion!

I first started coming here about 5 years ago. MY wife who grew up in Mocha, used to come to Cabarete for summer vacation. I instantly fell in love with the place, thinking I had "discovered " something. I had never heard of the place before, and didnt know anybody who ever heard of it either. I felt like I was let in on some big secret. But the cat is out of the bag ( ha! that's two cat cliches in one post! ). I guess I just didnt notice all the expats the first couple of times. But believe me it is ALL good! What makes the NC so cool is how many different people from different places that you can meet and hang out with. A true melting pot. Whether on Vacay or living here, ... tons of Gringos. And I also like the fact that the Expat community is growing on the NC. In spite of all the negative stuff you hear about the DR, it must have alot going for it to see alot of pasty sun burned Norte Americanos ( Like me ) clammering to retire here. :)

I was in Playero on New Years eve to stock up on food and it looked like the UN in there! And to me thats a good thing.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think where you live depends on where you are in your Dominican Republic cycle and what you want out of life cycle. I spent 9 years in a tourist town. Loved the bars, restaurants, good supermarkets, expats, night life and beach. Hated the crime and the gossip. Moved to a Dominican town. Loved the prices and the friendliness, hated the dust,mosquitos, flies, water in the streets and lack of electricity. Missed the restaurants,decent supermarkets, expat conversation and the beach. Now in a Dominican campo in the mountains. Adore the scenery, don't miss the beach, miss the restaurants and decent supermarkets but try and cook creatively, love growing fresh fruit and veg, love the lack of mosquitos and heat. And love the people. Horses for courses.

Matilda

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
You can call the Embassy in Santo Domingo, ask for Joanna is Social Security area, she has that info..in SD alone last Year she told me 2,300 something just in SD off the top of her head, very impressive I thought

Hello, i would like to know if anyone knows the amount of expat living in Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete
that lives there permanently?

Thanks

Ben

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I think where you live depends on where you are in your Dominican Republic cycle and what you want out of life cycle. I spent 9 years in a tourist town. Loved the bars, restaurants, good supermarkets, expats, night life and beach. Hated the crime and the gossip. Moved to a Dominican town. Loved the prices and the friendliness, hated the dust,mosquitos, flies, water in the streets and lack of electricity. Missed the restaurants,decent supermarkets, expat conversation and the beach. Now in a Dominican campo in the mountains. Adore the scenery, don't miss the beach, miss the restaurants and decent supermarkets but try and cook creatively, love growing fresh fruit and veg, love the lack of mosquitos and heat. And love the people. Horses for courses.

Matilda

Good description of a tourist town. Luckily i have not experienced any crime first hand. ( and i certainly am aware you have ). BTW, there still gossiping about you down here in the tourist towns! :squareeye

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

You can't swing a dead cat here in Cabarete without hitting an Expat. Like cockroaches, crawling all over the place ! :cheeky: If i bump into one more person that I know from back home in Philly, I'm gonna scream!

Every time i go into Jose Oshea's, its like a high school reunion!

I first started coming here about 5 years ago. MY wife who grew up in Mocha, used to come to Cabarete for summer vacation. I instantly fell in love with the place, thinking I had "discovered " something. I had never heard of the place before, and didnt know anybody who ever heard of it either. I felt like I was let in on some big secret. But the cat is out of the bag ( ha! that's two cat cliches in one post! ). I guess I just didnt notice all the expats the first couple of times. But believe me it is ALL good! What makes the NC so cool is how many different people from different places that you can meet and hang out with. A true melting pot. Whether on Vacay or living here, ... tons of Gringos. And I also like the fact that the Expat community is growing on the NC. In spite of all the negative stuff you hear about the DR, it must have alot going for it to see alot of pasty sun burned Norte Americanos ( Like me ) clammering to retire here. :)

I was in Playero on New Years eve to stock up on food and it looked like the UN in there! And to me thats a good thing.

what is so good about a gazillion gringos, as far as a melting pot goes? they hate each other, anyway. as i said before, the Germans hate the British, who hate the Irish, who hate the Swedes, and all of them hate Americans and Canadians. not much of a UN to my way of thinking. more like a cauldron.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
what is so good about a gazillion gringos, as far as a melting pot goes? they hate each other, anyway. as i said before, the Germans hate the British, who hate the Irish, who hate the Swedes, and all of them hate Americans and Canadians. not much of a UN to my way of thinking. more like a cauldron.

They bring that with them from where they come from. Those "hatreds" have long standing histories. Except for hating Americans. That's relatively new and quite in style right now. Everyone used to love us when we were saving the world from tyranny a generation ago. But I guess recently it is deserved in many ways, but I digress.. Anyway, I haven't seen it manifested in any way down here so far. Although I am new to the scene and typically oblivious to what people might be saying about me. Which is why I think things will work out for me quite nicely here on the NC. And so far " everything is so nice" . Btw senility runs in my family

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They bring that with them from where they come from. Those "hatreds" have long standing histories. Except for hating Americans. That's relatively new and quite in style right now. Everyone used to love us when we were saving the world from tyranny a generation ago. But I guess recently it is deserved in many ways, but I digress.. Anyway, I haven't seen it manifested in any way down here so far. Although I am new to the scene and typically oblivious to what people might be saying about me. Which is why I think things will work out for me quite nicely here on the NC. And so far " everything is so nice" . Btw senility runs in my family

Americans have this easy going thing about them that allows them to mix with other folks more easily. if you look at tables in a watering hole, it is generally all Germans, or all Italians, or whatever. late arrivals will look for their people. Americans will sit with whoever has an open seat.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SKY", how in the World would the woman at the American Consul in "SD",have ANY IDEA of the number of "Expats" ANYWHERE, in the DR????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Matilda posted some interesting information in March 2013 on residents by nationality : http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/132114-expat-census.html but it does not quite answer the OP's question . A clue to the proportion on the North Coast can be gauged by the numbers of Expat Residents moving through POP and STI but it boes not include those who have not got Residencies? Someone might like to look at that - on the Banco Central web site.

Olly and the Team

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Everyone used to love us when we were saving the world from tyranny a generation ago. But I guess recently it is deserved in many ways, but I digress..

We're still saving the world. Every time there's a natural disaster, we're the first ones on the scene with the most and with the best equipment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"SKY", how in the World would the woman at the American Consul in "SD",have ANY IDEA of the number of "Expats" ANYWHERE, in the DR????????

Only those that "registered" would be known about there.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I'm guessing 5,000 expats across POP, Sosua & Cabarete... I'd say Canadians have the most expats here followed by the Americans and Russians, then the Brits, Germans and the French/Italians.
It's just a guess!!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Maybe he just thinks that Expats are only Americans living abroad! Ah bless!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I'm in POP until Saturday if anyone has any suggestions of places to go or wants to meet up. My father is here and I'm trying to show him a little of the lifestyle until we go back to Santiago.

Oh, I almost forgot, his friends back home want some quality cigars, anyone recommend a place to get them?