nurses in the DR

strawberrru

Oct 5, 2005
m'frog-
I have contacted the missionaries there that I know but they have been very, very slow to respond (I know I need more patience). The other people in SD that I know are locals and I haven't asked them just because I do not want to let them know that I thinking about moving there this far in advance, just because if I end up not being able to come they will be hurt (it has happened before that I wasn't able to return when I said I had wanted to). I have e-mailed many people though that I think might have some contacts and am just waiting for replies.
-Keri

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
strawberrru said:
Does anyone know anything about the U.S. Embassy's medical team? I am still doing research on trying to find a US medical team or some way to get down there to live and ran accross an article (http://www.nursezone.com/stories/SpotlightOnNurses.asp?articleID=9409) where this nurse works for the Embassy's medical team. Thanks for any information.
See the US Embassy's web site for open employment positions.

tamadoor

Jan 3, 2006
www.nursingagencykit.com
Nurse shortage

if nurse shortage would continue to occur in many states then how could we expect to be treated well in hospital/s.
Recently the New York press has run good articles about the critical shortage of Suffolk County public health nurses. Today Newsday ran a piece by Ridgely Ochs, "Debate on public health services," that explained some of the effects of this situation on needy patients and the overwhelmed nurses. It also included comments from local politicians and health care figures as to how the problem should be addressed. This followed a very good and more comprehensive January 22 story in The New York Times, Julia C. Mead's "On the East End, A Nursing Shortage Is Felt Most Deeply." The Times piece powerfully conveyed both the key role the public health nurses play in patient outcomes and the desperate state of the program, following what some describe as years of neglect by the County government.
http://www.nursingagencykit.com

cuas

May 29, 2006
To Hillbilly.
I would like more information in the nursing program at PUCMM if possible.
Cost, age and if they still get a visa to finish the program in Jersey.
Is there any program in SD or only in Santiago?
This is an old thread. I hope you will read it.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Two thoughts:

1) "Clinical" positions for US trained Registered Nurses would be few and far between in the DR. The low status of "nurses" and low pay is very reminiscent of the US in the pre-1980's. Things really only changed with advanced education. Nurses moving into professional status with advanced degree's and independent practices.

2) To make a go of nursing in the DR it would have to start from a business standpoint, a for-profit medium. All of that would of course largely depend on how providers are re-imbursed. I'm going to make an assumption that the DR does not have any kind of payer system like "Medicare" or "medicaid" in the US. Likely you either go to a "public" facility / clinic to get free medical care or you go to a private doctor / hospital where you have to pay or have insurance.

So where would a company that say provides "home care services" fit into this picture? Say a company that contracts to provide things like personal care, or maid services or shopping or...... up to including providing things like wound care or speciality care.

Would the Dominican Republic recognize an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner??

Craig Poole

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Craig: You are correct is you estimate of the climate here.

I do think such a for-profit approach might work either in Santiago or Santo Domingo. You might want to talk to Cobraboy pon this since I think he did something similar in the states...

There are what seem to be HMOs here, at least they seem to be, let me repeat. They are called ARS and provide health insurance...You might want to see just what they provide for.

As you can see by the thread, "nurses" are not that powerful here....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Craig: You are correct is you estimate of the climate here.

I do think such a for-profit approach might work either in Santiago or Santo Domingo. You might want to talk to Cobraboy pon this since I think he did something similar in the states...

HB
I owned a chain of Medicare Certified HHA's, and high-tech infusion agencies/pharmacies in a former life.

I question the financial viability of such a venture in the DR. There just isn't the per capita GNP or government funding, and I'm not sure the number of private clients are there.

I'd LOVE to be wrong :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: , 'cuz I'd jump into the game again in a New York second...