obesity in DR at 22%

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Dominicans who are newer to money and creature comforts tend to put the weight on quick. There are enough gyms etc in Santo Domingo to demonstrate that there are a lot of established folks who take care of their health and appearance. Virgo doesnt go to the gym, he is too busy preparing his float for the Dominican Day Parade in August.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Dominicans who are newer to money and creature comforts tend to put the weight on quick. There are enough gyms etc in Santo Domingo to demonstrate that there are a lot of established folks who take care of their health and appearance. Virgo doesnt go to the gym, he is too busy preparing his float for the Dominican Day Parade in August.

I never figured out why any one would wish to go to a gym. I had a friend in S Florida who wanted me to take her to a gym so she could have exercise. So we went to the mall where her gym was. The parking lot was full. I found a place to park where she would have had to walk maybe half a block to get in, and she said if there was no closer place to park drive up and leave her at the door because she wasn't going to walk that far! The idea that walking is not as good as the exercise generated on a machine is beyond me.
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think lots of obesity issues in DR come from lack of education/knowledge. many folks do not understand the value of proper nutrition and they do not know that metabolism changes with age. they really do not know how to be healthy.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
i think lots of obesity issues in DR come from lack of education/knowledge. many folks do not understand the value of proper nutrition and they do not know that metabolism changes with age. they really do not know how to be healthy.

Yes, and the unchecked consumption of Presidente

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, but when you tell them they still don't listen. I've known many slim, fine Dominican women who tell me they love walking and exercising, and then when you take a stroll they get tired after one block.

Being thin isn't the same as being match fit. They erroneously equate the two as being the same.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yes, but when you tell them they still don't listen. I've known many slim, fine Dominican women who tell me they love walking and exercising, and then when you take a stroll they get tired after one block.

Being thin isn't the same as being match fit. They erroneously equate the two as being the same.

Very true. Lots of people confuse high metabolic rates (and good genes) for solid diet and fitness habits. After 30, the mileage starts to show.

After 40, there aren't many parts not showing mileage.

After 50, you realize you're the guys they're selling all the blood pressure/cholesterol/whatever-you-didn't-take-care-of-in-your-youth pills to, and wonder "what happened?"

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Anemia seems to be a problem, too. That could be the reason some of them get tired so quickly, or can manage to sleep 12-14 hours a day.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you were to include the FAT RATE with the OBESITY RATE here
in Santiago, I?d say it falls somewhere in the 60% range. Most of the
women here are overweight.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

I reckon the reasons why some Dominicans are obese are quite similar to the reasons why many people in other countries are obese.
Anyway, per the source shown the DR obesity rate is moderate. Whatever makes people fat in the DR affects others even more. That is obvious, right?

Also, the rate doesn't take into account the DEGREE by which people are obese. Say, a person may be obese by 25 KG, by 50 kg or by 100 kg or even more. The rate doesn't account for that. I reckon that if one considers by how much a person is obese, the DR will look better (relatively few are MORBIDLY obese).

Apr 7, 2014

They also presume that stuffing yourself into a pair of tight jeans and having old men comment means you still got it going on.
And it wouldnt matter if you taught them diet or exercise or metabolism. They are accustomed to the habits they have developed that dont work. So they just get bigger and lazier. They may join a gym for a month but if they dont see immediate results from doing mild aerobics they will quit.

This is one thing I dont like about being at JFK waiting to board. All those old women in fajons and tight clothes trying to relive 1980.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i worked in a pharmacy i noticed certain patterns regarding health issues of working class dominicans. many would come with a note by a doctor telling me to give them the meds listed. i would look at the piece of paper and see it was not a prescrition but a dietary advice: no sugar, no salt, no grease and so on. when i explained this people would get furious for not being prescribed a pill that would "fix them". some would toss the note into rubbish bin on the spot. but sometimes things went the other way. for insurance purposes i needed to know patient's condition. most had no idea what they were treated for. doctor saw them, gave the meds and never ever mentioned what they suffered from.

Apr 7, 2014
Very true. Lots of people confuse high metabolic rates (and good genes) for solid diet and fitness habits. After 30, the mileage starts to show.

After 40, there aren't many parts not showing mileage.

After 50, you realize you're the guys they're selling all the blood pressure/cholesterol/whatever-you-didn't-take-care-of-in-your-youth pills to, and wonder "what happened?"
Derfish was right though. The easiest exercise to do is walking. Berzin's issue was that the women spend so much time trying to be coquettish and demure that they arent used to walking with enthusiasm(as most NYers do).

Also since their core objective is to look pretty they wont do anything that adulterates this public image. Walking in this humid environment makes them sweat. And sweat is unfeminine and "anti-higenico".

Also, walking for distance is considered uncooth. Only something poor, uncivilized people do.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Derfish was right though. The easiest exercise to do is walking. Berzin's issue was that the women spend so much time trying to be coquettish and demure that they arent used to walking with enthusiasm(as most NYers do).

Also since their core objective is to look pretty they wont do anything that adulterates this public image. Walking in this humid environment makes them sweat. And sweat is unfeminine and "anti-higenico".

Also, walking for distance is considered uncooth. Only something poor, uncivilized people do.

If their hair and nails are done to the 9's no one will even notice and extra 10 kilo's here and there. Besides, it's more to "push up". LoL!

Apr 7, 2014
when i worked in a pharmacy i noticed certain patterns regarding health issues of working class dominicans. many would come with a note by a doctor telling me to give them the meds listed. i would look at the piece of paper and see it was not a prescrition but a dietary advice: no sugar, no salt, no grease and so on. when i explained this people would get furious for not being prescribed a pill that would "fix them". some would toss the note into rubbish bin on the spot. but sometimes things went the other way. for insurance purposes i needed to know patient's condition. most had no idea what they were treated for. doctor saw them, gave the meds and never ever mentioned what they suffered from.
I left that out of my last comment. Those awaiting the Magic Pill to fix what ails them as to why they would NEVER modify their diet.

AND just to appease Virgo, Ill say Black folks in the USA are the same way, especially the women. They wont change bad eating habits or engage in more physical exercise. They will prefer to take a pill which will most assuredly have them in dialysis in 5 years because of kidney toxicity.

Apr 7, 2014
If their hair and nails are done to the 9's no one will even notice and extra 10 kilo's here and there. Besides, it's more to "push up". LoL!
Depends on where she is carrying it. Some of the used to be svelte dimepieces wind up hitting 40 looking like a brokeback turkey with hammer toes!

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
They are having a big sale on "sense of humour". Hurry and get yours. :laugh:

I don't personally find getting insulted whether directly or indirectly (as a group) to be funny.

Maybe you find funny when people make disparaging jokes about women, or 'jokingly' call your kind whores, sluts, etc. I don't find it to be a 'joking' matter, particularly when the perpetrators have a history of slurs, stereotyping, sweeping generalizations, and similar attacks (I mean 'jokes').

In another thread I wrote that making sweeping attacks on Dominicans was no different from saying "----- are stupid", or "---- are greedy" . Only did it as a comparison, yet my statements were deleted and I got an infraction, simply for making the comparison.

I guess slurs are taken seriously as long as the victims are not us. Is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I don't personally find getting insulted whether directly or indirectly (as a group) to be funny.

Maybe you find funny when people make disparaging jokes about women, or 'jokingly' call your kind whores, sluts, etc. I don't find it to be a 'joking' matter, particularly when the perpetrators have a history of slurs, stereotyping, sweeping generalizations, and similar attacks (I mean 'jokes').

In another thread I wrote that making sweeping attacks on Dominicans was no different from saying "----- are stupid", or "---- are greedy" . Only did it as a comparison, yet my statements were deleted and I got an infraction, simply for making the comparison.

I guess slurs are taken seriously as long as the victims are not us. Is that it?

Have you ever sat with a group of Dominicans even those who are well travelled and educated and heard how we stereotype and use derogatory terms about everybody... Clearly you have no clue. At best you are an anchor baby